Which Led/Inova X1/Gerber Infinity Ultra

joplin48

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I really want to get a really good Led that I can carry in my pocket. It's important that the battery life is great as well as the light itself been bright. I want to use it as an everyday flashlight.
I have narrowed my choices down to the Gerber Infinity Ultra($32 Can) or the Inova X1($40Can)

I prefer the size of the Inova but it seems to have alot less battery life.
Any feedback you can give me would be appreciated. Pro or Con.

Yours truly
Greg Joplin

PS My original choice was the Princeton Tec Eclipse Led Light($18.50Can)
I thought the above lights might ne worth the extra money

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova will be a better light to carry every day as it has a brighter beam and it lasts plenty long. It does have a limited battery life in comparison to the Gerber. I have tested the Inova 2 times with depleted batteries and it would not light; when I put the depleted batteries into the Gerber, it lit right up and was able to produce useful light.

You may want to consider the Fenix L1P or L1T instead of either the Gerber or the Inova X1. The Fenix is small, bright an runs great on rechargeable batteries.

Hands down, I would pick the Fenix or a light similar to it.

-Goatee

carrot

Flashaholic
I'd pick the Inova X1 or the Fenix L1T. I like the Gerber Infinity Ultra but there's no guarantee you'll get the newer brighter one, and the X1's extra length feels better in my hands.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the Gerber UI for certain duties, but I would agree with these guys that a Fenix L1T would be a much better choice for every day carry. It's a well-built, bright light with very good regulation and runtime in the low mode.

joplin48

Newly Enlightened
Hi

Thanks for all your feedback so far.. The Fenix L1P is way more tan I want to pay.

As far as battery power goes on the Inova X1 verus the Infinity Ultra which one last longer?

Thanks
Greg Joplin

Last edited:

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joplin, I think both would be great choices.

I believe the X1 is a touch larger than the Infinity Ultra...and, allegedly, both are supposed to have the new Nichia CS LED (twice as bright).

There is another option: the Civictor.

I just got one for about $28 shipped, and it is a real butt-kicker.
It is only slightly larger than the IU, but substantially brighter.
The run-time will be reasonable, though not nearly as long as your first choices. AA bats are inexpensive, so the extra brightness might be worth it.

Bob

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with the INOVA X1. Basically better. After a full ten hours overnight with a partially depleted battery, it still outshon my fresh ARC AAA-P (Old style - not latest) And, although I didn't test it, I'm sure it would be brighter than a gerber infinity ultra too. (I think you'll get 10-15 hrs really useful light from a new alkaline - go for it!)

Be lucky...

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you can buy the Inova X1 at Target and those do have the new 80% brighter LED as long as you get the reflector version and not the lensed version. So thats a huge plus.

The Gerber IU with new brighter LED version has just started to come out, but I almost guarantee you wouldn't get one since so many of the old ones are still out there and there is no way to tell from the packaging.

So overall I would recommend the X1.

BTW: My first white LED flashlight was the CMG Infinity, bought back in 2000. Now I have a couple grand invested in lights. The CMG or X1 might be a gateway drug to flasholism. Be warned!

Reviews are here:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/gerber_infinityultra.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_x1.htm

If you had more cash I would recommend the Peak Atlantic with the 1AA body. (not pictured in review)
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/peakled_pacific.htm

sniper

Enlightened
joplin48 said:
Hi

I really want to get a really good Led that I can carry in my pocket. It's important that the battery life is great as well as the light itself been bright. I want to use it as an everyday flashlight.

My Inova X1 with reflector has become my favorite/most used light. You will have 10 hours+- of bright light, and it is hard to imagine a reasonable situation where you might need more before obtaining a new battery. Hmmm... lost in a cave? fallen down a well? Extended power outage, maybe, but we all should have extra batteries, right? It is handier to carry than my MMag with smjled, and I have not changed the battery since I bought it.

When I can be sure of getting the brighter led, I may buy the Gerber IU for the wife, because she wants a "small" light, so it won't make her purse "too heavy". Somehow, I don't think it is the light. Hee hee!

Long story short, I don't think that you will be disappointed with either one.