How is the donut/tint in your U2?

SCblur

Enlightened
I'm expecting a U2 from lighthound pretty soon, and I was wondering what the average donut/tint experience is among CPF users. Whadaya say?

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one that I sent back in February of this year as it had a very noticeable donut and it shifted to green really badly in the lower levels.

The replacement that Surefire sent me is beautiful. A very white tint; the tint is near identical to the TYOJ in my McLux PD. The shift at the lower levels is minimal and still white. The donut is not sufficient to trouble me and I have been sensitive to this in the past.

-Goatee

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one. Seriously feeling bad about how i returned it. This light had a great tint and the most minimal "cheerio" i have ever seen. Tint was pure white like my B42XRGT. "cheerio" was barely noticable on white walls and not at all noticable outdoors. Great light. i want it back.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one last year. It had a very white tint, leaning ever so slightly towards cool blue. I was perfectly happy with the tint. Even on the lower levels, it didn't shift much towards green. The donut was a different story. The bad tailcap switch was the straw that broke the camel's back. I sent it back for RMA in December. I received the replacement in January.

The replacement improved on the donut situation. The donut is now very minimal, almost bordering on unnoticable. The tint is much warmer than before. It's almost an aqua or cyan tint on high. You can't really see the tint in the beam itself. The beam looks very white. Only when you look at the light reflected off another surface (such as a ceiling bounce) can you really pick up the tint. It shifts more towards green on low, but it isn't really that bad.

Here's a related thread when some noted their opinions on donut:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=99060

Last edited:

revv11

Newly Enlightened
Bright white tint, modest doughnut. Occasionally, I shine it on my wall to make sure the doughnut hasn't disappeared.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
#1 U2- Warmer white tint, very bright, minimal donut

#2 U2- Light bluish tint, still very bright, minimal donut
Very Happy with both U2's with good clickies :)

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
u my friend have won the lottery...twice

I really can't complain... mine is small on low and almost gone @ higher levels

FlashKat said:
#1 U2- Warmer white tint, very bright, minimal donut

#2 U2- Light bluish tint, still very bright, minimal donut
Very Happy with both U2's with good clickies :)

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
donut very noticable on all levels (but not outdoors).... nice tint.

-david

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
:)> said:
skalomax,

Why did you return it? By all means man, get it back!

-Goatee

I had bought it at a Hunting store, and returned it. I needed money to buy some more Lights. I guess im going to have to save up and hope they still have my U2. Boy do i miss that light.

Macaw

Enlightened
Very bright, slight X1 bin type tint, minimal null in the spot. A very nice light.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Ty_Bower said:
I bought one last year. It had a very white tint, leaning ever so slightly towards cool blue. ... Even on the lower levels, it didn't shift much towards green. The donut was a different story.
Sounds just like my current one (I've through 4 now). I've seen worse donuts than on the unit I have now, and I've seen better donuts (meaning fainter). No tailcap issues. Still warming up (will I ever?) on the blinking when I switch between levels. :green:

mbirds

Newly Enlightened
The first one I got had a pretty bad donut (even noticeable outside) and pretty green on all but the highest levels.

I returned it to the vendor, who was great and hand picked me a replacement that has a very slight "cheerio" , and much less green on lower levels. Donut not noticeable outdoors at all. This light is awesome, a wall of light.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
Sounds just like my current one...
Maybe they sent you the one I sent back to them. They've probably got a whole room full of RMA'd heads, and they just keep juggling them from one guy to the next until someone decides they're happy with it. :sssh: