Why SF don't make Nitrolon LED light?

alvdll

Newly Enlightened
I always toss my lights around abd now my L4 have some nicks on the body, how nice if the L4 is Nitrolon. :rant:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
alvdll said:
I always toss my lights around abd now my L4 have some nicks on the body, how nice if the L4 is Nitrolon. :rant:

Nitrolon doesn't conduct heat. LED's need a thermal path from the die to the surrounding air and plastics won't cut it.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
if there is one, it will be either a luxeon I at 200to300ma or luxeon III at 300to500ma.
this is the only 2 option you have if you want it in a polymer body as polymer cannot conduct heat away and the top 2 option doesn't create alot of heat.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
you could have a metal inside... and just a thin layer of nitrolon on the metal.

-david

dmz

Enlightened
Why doesn't SF make Nitrolon 1 watt LED light instead of a 3 watt?

I think it needs a clickie too.

roguesw

Enlightened
i second an idea for a nitrolon LED light but maybe the entire light doesnt have to be nitrolong, the main body and tailcap and have a 3 part bezel like the L4, the top most bezel part can be nitrolon, and the 2nd and 3rd part of the bezel can be aluminum for heatsinking effectively the parts housing the LED and driver can be aluminum
the rest can be nitrolon
a composite light could be a compromise

dmz

Enlightened
The G2 Nitrolon is meant to be a cost effective light. There are plenty of even cheaper led lights with clickies in the market. If Nitrolon can't handle the heat then offer a 1 watt. Longer run time over max brightness is great for general use.

sniper

Enlightened
CM said:
Nitrolon doesn't conduct heat. LED's need a thermal path from the die to the surrounding air and plastics won't cut it.

The Propolymer LED doesn't seem to have the problem, and it is bright, with good run time. Could it run that much cooler than the proposed G2?

schrenz

Enlightened
roguesw said:
i second an idea for a nitrolon LED light but maybe the entire light doesnt have to be nitrolong, the main body and tailcap and have a 3 part bezel like the L4, the top most bezel part can be nitrolon, and the 2nd and 3rd part of the bezel can be aluminum for heatsinking effectively the parts housing the LED and driver can be aluminum
the rest can be nitrolon
a composite light could be a compromise

But I think. such a composite light would be more expensive than a normal Aluminum-light, I guess only a few people would buy a "plastic" light for about 150$, would you buy a G2 for 100$?
Greets Jens

dmz

Enlightened
The seems to be a problem with the Wolf-Eyes D26 3W LED Lamp in newer Pila or Surefire lights:

Scroll down to the bottom of the page at:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/wolf_6vd26.htm

and read the conclusion.

I wouldn't recommend it for the newer Pila or Surefire lights unless you enjoy having your light blink high-low every 10-15 seconds after being on for a few minutes.

dmz

Enlightened
kl3 and kl5 are not Nitrolon and the G2 is no longer economically priced with these add ons.

I'm not sweating it. If SF doesn't make a Nitrolon LED light, there are other flashlights to buy.