Jetbeam MkII switch question

victory

Enlightened
I'm strongly considering this light but am confused as to how the switch works. If someone could elaborate how to cycle through brightness levels, use the momentary function and so forth, it would be appreciated. Please be detailed, i don't want to get this thing and be disappointed by its function

I know a bit, that it is a revers clickie and cycles from 65% -> 5% -> 100% -> STROBE

My question is how it gets there. The two major ones for me are 100% and strobe. These are the only two settings i'll need to get two quick, otherwise i can spend all day flipping through settings.

Battery question: It's brighter with a CR123 but doesn't have all the features because it lacks a tailcap in that setup, correct? The AA setup isn't as bright but is full featured, correct? How can i get 3V brightness and all the features?

Here's a couple specific question i have other than me needing an overview. These are somewhat big tactical concerns if i have to use the light in a fight.

If i have the light set to 100%, and i turn it off, next time i turn it on will it be at 100%?

If i have the light on at 100%, and i slightly depress the reverse clickie tailcap for momentary function, when i release to bring it back on will it still be at 100%?

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emilion should be able to answer those questions but I just want to say that I ordered both AA and CR123 tube for the Jet-1 and found insignificant difference in the brightness between the two! Now the CR123 tube stays in the ORB Raw storage plastic case which just fit perfect.
And for that impression, I just ordered the MK II. :rock:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my understanding on the MKII switch operation:

First turning on will always get you to 65% brightness (always come on to 65% default, you cannot set it).
After turning it on, if you soft-press the reverse clicky within 2 seconds, it will switch to another mode. If you wait longer than 2 seconds, it will just act as a momentary off. Some examples...

Turn on (65%) -> soft-press in <2sec (5%) -> soft-press in <2sec again (100%)

Turn on (65%) -> soft-press in <2sec (5%) -> soft-press in >2sec (momentary off)

Better?

victory

Enlightened
I just noticed there was a review added yesterday. It didn't really say anything about the momentary function so i'm wondering if anyone can back up JSR.

Also, when you get to strobe, do you have to give it a full click off and on to get back to 65%?

If that's the case, it's not too bad. If it stops at the strobe setting instead of cycling through with more light touches, In an emergency i could cycle to strobe rather quickly to temporarily disorient. Not exactly as easy as a gladius, but i wasn't expecting if from something that size. Speaking of which, how rapid is the strobe rate on the light?

Last edited:

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
From Quickbeam's review:

Switch:
* 3 levels of output now, plus strobe.
* Click on for "normal" output (65% of max, PWM).
* Click off, then click back on within 2 seconds to change modes.
* OR soft-press switch anytime while on to change modes.
* 2 second or greater pause after clicking off resets the sequence.
* Mode sequence: Normal, Low, Max, Strobe, Off.
* Strobe is VERY annoying - like Gladius/StrikerVG strobe.
* The mode change soft-press can be very quick. After clicking on I can get it into the strobe in less than 1/2 second (really!).

It's a little unclear to me as well, but I don't think it has the +2 sec momentary off as jsr suggests. Acording to Doug, the light will always switch modes after a soft press while on. He does say that the sequence resets after 2 sec, so maybe this means that while the light is on at any given setting (say, 5% for example), if you wait 2 seconds and soft press, the light will go back to 65%, not to 100% which would be the next setting in the sequence if you hadn't waited the 2 sec before soft pressing. Make sense? I'm not positive, since I don't have it yet, but that's what I get from the review.

victory

Enlightened
hope that's not the case. that would make is useless to me. I need a momentary function. maybe a simpler light is in order...i kinda wish fenix made the P1 with a standard clickie even if it meant adding some legnth.

I'm trying to replace my G2 with something smaller without loosing much. But multiple brightness levels would be nice.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
For something like the Fenix P1 with clicky, get an L2P and purchase a Nekomane CR123 body for it. I had (just sold) a setup like this using a CR2 body and it resulted in the smallest clicky light I had every seen. Even on a CR2, you got an hour of regulated full brightness- CR123 would probably yeild 2 hours. Of course, the switch is still a reverse-clicky, but at least you get momentary off.

The Quickbeam switch info is a bit unclear. I could have read it wrong- hopefully someone in the know will stumble into this thread and clear things up.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also the review does not mention using a 14500 lion rechargeable,I hope it can handle it,thats one of the reasons I ordered it.Can anyone confirm that MK II will handle 14500 and Rcr123?

sysmax

Newly Enlightened
as FR's review,MK II's regulate circuit is the same of JET-I,so I guess 14500 can be used just like the old version.