Can't decide between L1 and E1L...

dragoman

Enlightened
Hi,

I've been searching for a single cell light for a while, basically one that will allow me to drain my cells that cannot power my A2 in regulation anymore. These cells will typically have about 25% of their capacity remaining.

I can't decide between an E1L or an L1. I prefer Surefires, for what its worth, although I am open to other suggestions for this type of application. I'd like to keep it under a 100 bones though....

If someone who owns one of these (or both, preferably) could post their thoughts, observations, runtimes, beamshots, etc.... on which I should buy, I would appreciate it.

Unfortunately, "buy both" is not an option right now.......*sigh* boat payments suck!! :D

dragoman

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being the proud owner of a brand spanking new E1L, I love it - very bright and very small - good potential EDC. I don't have a L1 - admittedly a two stage switch would be better, but the L1 is longer than the E1L, has a 'dummy' kl1 type head which cannot be transferred to other lights (as I understand it) and I intend to get the McLux two stage tail cap mod, as soon as funds/time/inclination allow, anyway. Until then, I'm very happy with my bright, small, non-shelf queen, pocketable workhorse that is my E1L.

Did I mention I liked it!!

Be lucky...

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello dragoman:)

Since the remaining capacity is only about 25% I would take the Inova X5.
It works.:)
I would'nt take a Lux-light because they needs to much power and a bulb light will look like a candle:grin2:

So my advice, go the 5mm-way.

Best regards

____
Tom

dragoman

Enlightened
I already have an X5, and I agree it is good for draining two cells.......was just looking for a single cell solution.

I have a Dorcy Super 1 Watt CR123, but I prefer something HA and I like my Surefires.....maybe an HDS would be good, but I want something $100 or less.

Thanks, keep em coming!!

dragoman

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't comment upon the E1L as I don't have one. I do have an L1 with a first gen red LED and a new white TIROS white LED.

It is a bit long compared to other single cell lights. I use mine to drain the remainders of my 123s that burn in my incans or high-powered LEDs.

I really like multi-level LEDs. The L1's low is really low, perfect for lighting in a bedroom or a space where you don't wish to bother others, but need a light source. I find it great for trails at night as it helps preserve my night vision. The high on the older L1 is floody; on the new L1 it is a tight throw beam. I recommend purchasing a F04 beamshaper, as you'll have a tight throw and a great diffuse spill whenever you want it. This is a favorite when we go walking on the beach at night.

From what I've read I'd highly recommend looking at the HDS EDC40 (www.lighthound.com has 'em at $90, and they are GREAT to work with) too. I've been tempted but never bought one. I may in a few months.

I also have a late-model Vital Gear FB1 body (bought at B/S/T here on CPF) running my red L1 LED in direct drive. I also use it to exhaust my 123s, and the red LED seems to love DD. You could pickup a VG FB1 and a KL1 and have a nice, regulated white LED on a really good, small (and I mean small) HA body. The clicky tailcap is quite good IMHO, though the pocket clip does seem to be a little too lightweight.

carrot

Flashaholic
Sometimes I find myself wishing my E1L was two stage. I have a feeling if it were, it wouldn't be part of an EDC rotation but rather permanent, as my A2 is. But then again, other times, it is nice to have a simple clickie. *Click* and it's on. :)

SCblur

Enlightened
I have an E1l w/ McE2s and an HDS B42. For EDC, I much prefer the HDS, because of it's superior regulation, and variable light levels. Given the 4 levels on the HDS vs. the 1 (or 2) levels from the SF, you could get much more life out of your almost-dead batteries in an HDS IMHO. Don't get me wrong. I'm a HUGE surefire fan. I covet everything they make, but the HDS is smaller than both the E1L and L1, and the beam it produces is far more useful in most situations. That's my $.02, anyway.

WDR65

Enlightened
I own both and really prefer my L1 over my E1L. Although it is longer, I find the extra length helpful as my hands are rather large. The lanyard ring is also handy, I like to hang mine around my neck when hunting or walking in the woods. The low is useful for most things and especially on those really dark nights while the high's distance ability works very well and has enough output for a lot of my activities.

The E1L on the other hand is so compact and I carry it a lot of times as a backup light and plan on leaving it in my hunting pack this coming season as a primary light, sorta a replacement for the old mini-mag that used to ride there. The whole E series interchangebility is handy also and the ability to switch heads can be quite useful in a pinch. I have been debating about buying a KL4 to put on this light also.