What type of bug is this?

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
I find these once in a while either in my closet or on the bottom of a dresser draw. It is very light, just passing my hand by it will make it blow away. I think it's a shell/skin/exoskeleton that a bug left behind, I don't think there is a bug inside of it. It's very small.

Anyone know what it is??

21en48o.jpg

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's probably from a moth stage. I don't know what kind it is but it doesn't look like a clothes moth. Maybe a satin moth. I don't know but I'll bet Pydpiper does.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
a wollybear catepillar's skin....

you know, moth catapillars shed skin quite often...I've potted numerous moth and butterfly catepillairs in cups where they form a pupa on the paper lid on top, then i give these to friends...

I stopped after they started spraying for mosquitos...all we have left is spiky moth catepillars...too difficult to pot...

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so you guys are sure that it's only moths?

That's excellent news! A few people on another forum said it was a cockroach egg, I was ready to move out and nuke the house from orbit!

Thanks!

Illum

Flashaholic
cockroach eggs are smooth, not furry

certain species laced with streaks of yellow over dark brown, about the size of a giant kidney bean....

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, this thing is tiny, maybe the size of the nipple of a AA battery.

Are these things harmful to my clothes? I've never noticed holes in my clothes (or moths flying around for that matter), I'm a T-shirt and jeans kinda guy so nothing valuable anyway :p

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
Maybe it's a little bit bigger than the nipple of a AA, ut not much. It's definitely some type of bug.

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
D@rk Messenger said:
It's the shedding of a larva carpet beetle.
That seems to be the closest match as far as Google image search.

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
JanCPF said:
:lolsign: Did you get that qoute from "Aliens" or did you just make it up?
I got it from some firearm forum that got it from the movie Alien.