Maglite LED Upgrade Module

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife has a 3-D cell Maglite right now. I was in Walmart earlier today and noticed that they had the Maglite LED Upgrade Module for about $18.89 or so. I am wondering if you guys think I am better off simply getting the 3-D cell version or getting the 4-C cell version and installing 4-C cells in her 3-D Maglite. I have looked online for specifications, but I can't seem to find what I want to know. They both are listed as 3 watt LED versions. Would they be approximately equal in run times using either 3-D batteries or 4-C batteries? Would they be equal in lumens?

I have looked here
http://www.maglite.com and here
http://www.flashlightking.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=LED_MODULE&cart_id=9365750.15590 but I cannot seem to find the answer.

sniper

Enlightened
JAS;
If I understand correctly,the D size cells have more run time capacity than C cells.
I don't think you would gain much run time from 4C as compared to 3Ds. Just get the MagLed, or Diamond drop-in, and FEAR NOT!

My experience has only been with the Diamond DB3W, but according to the reviews, you will not be disappointed with the MagLed, either.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go ahead and get the 3D Module for her. It is about 65 lumens, but quickly drops to around 35-40 lumens and then stays there for a VERY long time (20+ hours). I am extremely impressed with mine and consider it a steal for the price.

Illum

Flashaholic
its not putting out full three watts tho....mag instruments havent figured out to put heatsinks in yet...

if it has a better heatsink i'd buy one...

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does that differ from the other Mag LED modules out there, like say the Diamond? Seems that at least the Mag makes adjustments for temperature to accommodate longer runs without damage, whereas something like the Diamond is a pure direct drive unit.

Illum_the_nation said:
its not putting out full three watts tho....mag instruments havent figured out to put heatsinks in yet...

if it has a better heatsink i'd buy one...

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mag LED modules, like the Mag incandescent bulbs are made for both C and D cell lights. There is only one module, nothing different for a C cell light. Light output from the 3 cell is the same whether it is in a D or C cell light, however since the C sized cells only provide about 1/2 the capacity of a D cell, you should expect a diminished run time from the C cells. There isn't anything to gain by going to a 4 cell, the light output is at best about the same as the 3 cell if you're lucky, and may be a little less if you're not.

JAS said:
Would they be approximately equal in run times using either 3-D batteries or 4-C batteries? Would they be equal in lumens?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure that there might be a couple of people who frequent this site who are not aware that Home Depot currently has the lowest price on these modules (and they are very aware that it is below online resources); but as far as I know, Home Depot does not carry the 3 Cell version of the module that the original poster needs to upgrade the 3 cell light..

Bmccue1964 said:
$15.97 @ Home Depot!

greenLED

Flashaholic
lumenal said:
Am I missing something here? You want to install 4 C cells in your wife's 3D Mag? I didn't know that was possible....:huh2:
Absolutely! You'll need a 1" PVC pipe, remove the anodize from inside the tailcap, and shorten the spring a bit (or use new one), and violà! Actually, if you keep using the 3-cell bulb, it'll run brighter and won't burn. :)