Looking for a new light

victory

Enlightened
I've been carrying a surefire G2 as my primary EDC light for a while, and between the glock, the cellphone, the fire pager, the light, the spare mag, my belt is getting crowded. I'm looking for a new EDC light. that's a good deal smaller. Here's what i want.

-High output LED, needs to be absolutely blinding.

-Small size, like 1 CR123 small

-Clickie tailcap must be uncomplicated for tactical usage.

-Variable output is nice, but only if it can be done on the fly, otherwise i won't use it. this is not so important.

Lets see what you guys can throw at me.

carrot

Flashaholic
Hmm, except for the fact that it's a twisty light, the Fenix P1 would be perfect, especially running on RCR123.

Since that wouldn't work, I recommend a HDS EDC U60 which you'd program to have momentary switch and start at the highest output level when you turn it on. Another choice is the Surefire E1L which has no spill but seems to be bright enough to me to obscure an attacker's vision and light up targets. If either light doesn't work out for you, you can sell it off here.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello victory:)

Welcome at CPF:grin2:

Absolutely blinding with a one cell light? Ok, it's relative, so my tip is a Fenix L1T or L2T with AA-cells. Both smaller than your G2 but larger than a 123-light with one cell.
But both with 2-stages and clicky.

Best regards

____
Tom

carrot

Flashaholic
Long John said:
Absolutely blinding with a one cell light? Ok, it's relative, so my tip is a Fenix L1T or L2T with AA-cells. Both smaller than your G2 but larger than a 123-light with one cell.
But both with 2-stages and clicky.

Tactical usage kinda rules out the Fenix lights in my opinion because they use reverse clickies. Also they are not screamingly bright. Doesn't mean I don't love my Fenixes though. ...Victory, you are looking for a 1-cell light for tactical usage, right? If not for use with your Glock, the Fenixes would be a great choice.

Come to think of it, except for the HDS EDC series of lights, there are pretty much no 1-cell LED lights that can compare reasonably well to incandescent two cells... at least to my knowledge. The Fenix P1 is actually brighter than the U60 on RCR123, though.

phosphor

Enlightened
How about a SureFire E1L or the two stage L1....both are single cell "throwers" with belt clips and tactical clickies...the L1 is longer than the E1L because of the two stage feature. You could get a beamshaper to pop over the lens to give you spill when you need a softer flood.

-Regards

victory

Enlightened
Yeah, i understand there's no way to get the output of a 2 cell incandescent, but i'm sure i can get enough intensity out of a 1 cell 3w LED to suit my needs.

The EDC U60 looks good but is expensive. Lot of great features, but i'd give up some features to get the price lower.

The Fenix P1 would be great if they made a clickie version.

What kinda switch does the ORB use?

I also just had a chat with Emil about his "Freedom 3.3W Luxeon Weaponlight." This may be the ticket. It has a standard clickie switch, 10% overdriven 3 watt luxeon and a 30mm bezel whick probably amounts to more light getting thrown then the 20mm tube designs (sacrafice is it's a bit wider at the bezel, but that doesn't bother me.) The selectable output isn't easy to use on the fly (internal switch), but i guess if i'm outdoors camping and want more battery than bright i can take the time.

What do you guys think?

freedom weaponlight

carrot

Flashaholic
victory said:
The EDC U60 looks good but is expensive. Lot of great features, but i'd give up some features to get the price lower.
How about the EDC B60LE? You lose some features but get the same high output... OpticsHQ sells it with a discount too, I believe.