Aargh! I can't decide between L2 and L4!

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been researching these two lights for a while now and I just can't decide. If the L2 were a touch shorter it would be a hands-down winner. OTOH, if the L4 were 2-stage it would be the victor. So, I guess what it comes down to is what are the chances of scoring a two-stage tailcap for the L4? Is there a mod I can do myself? Or, should I put up with an extra inch and go with the L2?

Finally, are the outputs about the same? Flashlightreviews.com has the L2 brighter, but I've read posts here that chalk that up to Lux-lotto and some even claim their L4's are brighter than their L2's.

Any help from you capable folks would be welcome! :)

carrot

Flashaholic
The L2 pushes the LED harder than the L4, resulting in a corresponding lower runtime on high. I think in general the L2 is usually brighter than the L4. But this is just what I think.

I'm actually in the same bind as you. I plan on getting an L4 and later an L2 when my wallet recovers.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had both. If you need a serious wall of light With Mediocore Throw the L2 is Great. Small size and Decent brightness is what you want then The L4. The L2 isnt as big as mentioned but bigger than the L4. I would choose the L2 Over since you get some really good output and Nice beam.

SCblur

Enlightened
I have both and here are my observations:

L2:
- brighter than my L4
- slightly tighter hotspot than L4, thus a little more throw, but still very floody
- buttery-smooth two-stage switch
- very balanced and comfortable in my hands
- about 45-50 minutes before I notice a decline.
- the decline from regulation is smoother than L4, resulting in longer runtime of useable light.
- accepts 14760 AW cells, not the greatest runtime (37 minutes hi, 12 low)

L4:
- better indoors than my L2
- ALL FLOOD, but makes it worse outdoors beyond 10' or so
- very compact for output
- a little unbalanced felling to my hands, too top-heavy (the head)
- McE2s works great, but I still prefer SF's stock version (Easier to use w/ one hand)
- about 75 minutes before regulation drops out
- decline after regulation drop is very abrupt, giving less warning time that light is low
- less overall runtime than L2 (that is, from start until end of useable light)
- HUGE PLUS: takes AW 17670 for OVER AN HOUR of fully regulated light

Those are things to consider when choosing. Personally, if I had to keep only one, I would take my L2 without hesitation. The biggest downside for me, is that it won't take the larger rechargeable cells (17670 or 18670), but the balance and feel of the L2 is so nice to me. I find it to be a favorite of mine when camping. Lastly, this sounds wierd, but I actually like the smoother decline from regulation the L2 offers. When I'm camping, it provides me with more advanced warning that the batteries are dying, and I can therefore conserve juice if I am far from replacements.

In the end, it all comes down to taste. Good luck in your decision making process, and let us know what you decide on.

Josh

pilotmx5

Newly Enlightened
Only have the L2, but love love love it! For some reason on the current set of SF 123's I've gotten over an hour of usage on high, expecting it to die any second. The two stage is great, and with adapted eyes, low is what i use 90% of the time until the cat goes missing. It's a great "if you could only have one" flashlight. I'm also not a big on "floody" lights, and the L2 has plenty of flood/spot for me. When i bought it, it was a "only have one", not i have a g2 to keep in the car and expecting my Raw Ns to be arrive and settle on my keychain some day this week.

SCblur

Enlightened
pilotmx5,

did you happen to get into flashlights through flying? I ask because of your name, and as this is how I sadly, became a flashaholic. I was shopping for a nice light for the cockpit, and the L2 was my choice. I laugh at your "only have one" comment, because this too was my initial mentality. I thought the L2 would be a great light for flying, and all-around uses. Little did I know that it was only the beginning of the addiction to come :)

spock

Enlightened
like scblur, i have both. his comments pretty well cover my l4 and l2. however, my l4 head runs good on a vitalgear body using one lithium battery, thus adding to function by making a small, bright light.

NetMage

Enlightened
As mentioned in passing, the McE2S converts the L4 to two stage, and works well - I have a TW4/McE2S I carry at work as a backup (TW4 = L4 head and E1E (1 R123) body) and it is great for flooding an area. You can build a complete McE2S from parts at the Sandwich Shoppe or mod the SureFire switch into a two stage.

OTOH, the L2 is an excellent light. It is second to the U2 in my lights I would use a lot if I carried bigger lights :)

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really would like an L2, however the one thing that keeps holding me back is the regulation curve in high as seen on flashlightreviews.com. IMO, it drops too fast. The L4 has a far better curve but doesn't have quite the output (an understandable trade-off) or the out-of-the-box 2-stage ability.

Here's a real curveball. I've actually thrown the new Inova X0 into the running. I know it's not nearly as bright, but it does have a nice beam, and have you seen the regulation curve?!? It's freakin' great!

I'm so torn...

luigi

Enlightened
For me the deciding factor is that the L4 can be used as modular components to play the surefire E-series lego game. The KL4 head can be used in a 1 cell body, the body of the L4 itself can be used with the KL1 or a E2E head, etc. The L2 is more a standalone light so the slightly stronger output didn't do the trick for me.
The 2 stage capability was a big thing so I just bought a 2 stage switch for the L4 and I'm very happy with it.

Luigi

SCblur

Enlightened
the L2 regulation curve on FLR isn't accurate. There is a link somewhere, where somebody did the same test, while keeping the L2 cooled. It performed WAYYY better. I'll try to find it.

FOUND IT: http://www.obaq.tv/cpf/images/SureFire_L2_L4_Runtime.png

These were done w/ a cooling fan. The trouble w/ testing the light w/ no cooling, is that it overheats, and thermal protection drops the output. In real life use, your hands and the ambient air, would keep the light much cooler than if it just sits still for an hour on high. you can see that the L2 holds its own w/ the L4, considering it's brighter.

Last edited:

SCblur

Enlightened
Valpo Hawkeye said:
Here's a real curveball. I've actually thrown the new Inova X0 into the running. I know it's not nearly as bright, but it does have a nice beam, and have you seen the regulation curve?!? It's freakin' great!

I'm so torn...

I had an older-style Inova XO, but recently sold it because I never use it. I bought it initially, because I too, was attracted by the great reagulation and runtime. In real-world use, however, it was just too bulky for me. I didn't like the feel of it in my hands. For the output, it was waaay too big IMHO. No clip, no knurling, etc... just a lot of little things combined to the point that I never felt like using it. That's just my opinion, there are lots of folks here who use and love the XO, and inova makes a great light.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
SCblur said:
the L2 regulation curve on FLR isn't accurate. There is a link somewhere, where somebody did the same test, while keeping the L2 cooled. It performed WAYYY better. I'll try to find it.

FOUND IT: http://www.obaq.tv/cpf/images/SureFire_L2_L4_Runtime.png

I guess that would factor into the use because as I intend to use it, high would be used only for short bursts of maybe a minute or two. This would keep the heat down. Therefore, as I read the graph, there's about a 10 min. effective difference in the regulation curve, but the L4 is still flatter.

As for the X0, I have an older one and I have to agree that it's not a very sexy light and the beam is less than useful. However, the new one is shorter and has a more usable beam. Decisions, decisions....

CLHC

Flashaholic
I have the SureFire L2 Digital LumaMax and do enjoy using it, and as what others already stated above regarding this particular torcher. This thing is practically a wall of light on HIGH and good for the short to medium range. Reason for me in choosing this is because of the two-stage switching. Then again, either one of said lights, you can't go wrong. If you find it's not to your liking, there's always someone looking for it on B/S/T Lights Sell. . .

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
I have an L2 and love it but it is a bit long. While probably only a half inch or so longer than the A2, it sure feels longer than that in the hand/pocket. As a result it gets carried more in the briefcase than the pocket and does not get as much use as it would/should.

The L4 and L2 on high are so similar that when I compared them I went with the L2 only for the two levels. That said, the two level tail cap for a L4 would have pushed me in that direction. Do I regret the L2 - no way ! Would I buy another - in a minute.

I was surprized that over time the extra length of the L2 over my A2 has been noticable. If Surefire can fit the regulator and the extra bits for the LED's in the length of the A2, I wish they could have done the same for the L2.

The L2 has basically become an EDC for me at work. Yes, I wear it like a necklace on the lanyard. It comes in handy so often that people have stopped looking at me funny - they just ask to borrow the light. Realistically, the two levels of the L2 are so useful that to me it is worth it over something smaller. The high on the L2 is great to overcome/assist ambient light and the low is great during power outages and the like.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the smaller size of my L4 and as for output, my L4 is awesome!!! A huge wall of light with a nice large hotspot and a barely noticeable donut. I don't mind that it is single stage... that is what my HDS U60GT will be for.(It shipped today!!!!!! Thanks John at Lighthound!!!)

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided! *drum roll* It's the L4! I like the smaller size and flatter regulation curve. I also like the clickie, for now any way, but if anyone's looking to sell a McE2S PM me! I placed the order with tacticalsupply this morning so I should have it by next week sometime. I'll post initial impressions after that...

Thank you all for your help!