Looking for ultra high power LED

MikeRD03

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

At the moment I´m planning a selfmade diving lamp with very high lumen output. It should be around 2000lumen in a 50mm diameter lightsource.

Since cooling an alu housing is no problem under water and >15Ah are availible I´m looking for some small ultra high power LED light sources.

So far I found LedEng with there new 10W and 15W products but with poor lm/w. Better is the 10W or 20W LED from Edison Optics. But I dont know any optics for that large chip surface (10x10mm lightsource area)

Has anyone an idea if there are more manufactures that have LEDs with >10W ?

Thanx for any hint!

Greets from germany,
MikeRD03

Last edited:

edison

Enlightened
LEDs are the wrong emitter for this application. Not bright enough and not even close to as efficient as HID at those levels.

If you need that much light HID is the only way to go.

MikeRD03

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I know the HID light sources, but I like to design a very small lamp where is not enough room for a HID bulb and its ballast.

I know there are new LEDs around with 600-700lumen out of 15W in one LED Chip. That would be the perfekt lightsource without der HID disadvantages (lifetime, price).

So every hint is welcome.
Bye
MikeRD03

Last edited:

MikeRD03

Newly Enlightened
@liteboy

diving lamps with 3-4 luxeons are much too dark for my needs. I allready have a 9 Luxeon K2 Handlamp ready to go with around 900 lumen output.

Now I´m looking for something brighter for our dark german sees ;-)

Bye
MikeRD3

Amonra

Enlightened
if you want flood lighting it should not be too hard to achieve with the 10 - 15W LED's. but if you want throw you can forget the compact size as you would need a huge reflector.
The only way i can think of of getting 2000Lum in a narrowish beam with LED's in a 'compact' size is by finding cluster optics x9 and putting W binned Lux5's under them.

MikeRD03

Newly Enlightened
Well what I need is some kind of the ostar LED with a better lm/w. Then you can use small LED Optics that means I can put 3-4 of them in my lamp. But one LED must achieve around 600 lumen.

So far I found no LED clusters with 10° optics. They all have much more.

Amonra

Enlightened
with 4 of those it could be possible but im not sure that normal optics are good for them.

Timson

Enlightened
From all my reading here on CPF - I believe that the output you are after in such a small package is just not possible yet.

As Amonra said - you may be able to get the lumen level with the big 10 - 15 W LED's, but these have big emitter surface area and will be a flood of light only without mounting them in a reflector the size of a dustbin lid!

Even with the best Luxeons available today - you'd need a cluster of 10 x W bin LuxV's

You could only fit 4 of these into your 50MM light source and that's with small reflectors / optics and would still be a fairly floody type beam.

HID is the only way in my opinion - 50W would be good. :rock:

Tim.

MikeRD03

Newly Enlightened
well, I will not give up so fast ;-)
I know from a german dive lamp bulider that there is a Luxeon "dropin" with 15W and 600lumen Output (like the osram ostar) - perhaps a prototype so far. I hoped that someone here might know which producer that is.

I think in the next few months the will be such a product in the market..

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
umm...2000lumen from leds are just crazy!!(for now...)

50mm=5cm.
that is small. no led of that size now can do that ....

you will be better off with a hid if you want 2000lumen.
but still, even for HID, 2000lumen is a BIG deal.

if you want 200lumens, things will be way easier...
a tri luxIII U-bin will give you at least 270++.

MikeRD03

Newly Enlightened
@chesterqw
Impossible - I don´t think so. Look, I can take 4 osram ostar LED with 420lumen each and get 1680 lumen. 4 collaminar optics with 10° on it - ready to go. But the ostar has a bad lm/w so far and there are LEDs out there with higher efficiency. All it needs is someone who make a good LED Chip out of it ;-) I allready have 900lumen on 70mm diameter..

Timson

Enlightened
If you can find some of these emitters and matching optics....Build one and post results here. :)
Certainly no one here has done this to my knowledge......You'd definately be breaking new ground and will generate a lot of interest.

Tim.

David_Web

Newly Enlightened
Now for a somewhat important question. Do you really want lumen and not lux? (or CP) Ok more lumen it always better but in this case it seems throw is more important to you than overall outpot. A K2 and a (Carclo?)2* optic would create a pretty sweet laserlike beam with no spill to clog up the vision under water.
Or maybe 3 of the 6* one.
Anyway, just thinking.

MikeRD03

Newly Enlightened
@David Web
I know that - my last divelamp project has nine K2 with carlo optics and each beam IS laserlike. If someone is interested: http://www.intelli-net.info/taucherseiten/ - sorry german only.
But is has no change against a high power HID und that is what I want in my next lamp ,-)

btw the link to RAs HID project looks intereresting because of that small package. But I don´t know if a 35W Ballast would fit the same way.

@Tritium
I thought about this, too. The new Titan Module is useless, cause 60° beam only - no optic availible yet. The new BL-4000 looks interesting but with >200 lumen per star not enough for me ;-)

Nevertheless LED is my first choice cause over the hole lamp lifetime it is much cheaper and last forever! If there is no LED Chip today I will wait ;-)