Pathetic Obsession w/ Surefire M6 Magnum

Deanster

Enlightened
Hi - My name is Deanster, and I'm a flashlight-o-holic. (all - Hi Deanster!)

So, I had the chance to play with (lovingly caress) a Surefire M6 Magnum a few days ago, and just can't get it out of my mind. It was clearly the only choice for a hardcore flashlight lover.

I'm one of those guys who buys flashlights for no reason, just because it seems like it might be useful to have another. I'm a sucker for those Maglite packages at Costco, despite the painfully obvious fact that I don't need another 3D/miniMag combo to go with the six I already own. Nor do I need another Pelican Stealthlight, Surefire 6p, etc.

However, the M6 is clearly a whole new playing field, with extraordinarily bright beam, and voracious battery appetite.

Please give me a good reason not to blow $250 on this light.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel your pain!
corkysm58.gif

A while back I was helped to become convinced that the M3 was the way to got for a 3 cell light. But now I'm looking at maybe the M4 or M6 insted.

Can someone help me decide on the best one of these three? I figure the M3 is a little to big for my EDC so why not just get the M4! Or hell just get the M6 and be done with it!
smile.gif

I read somewhere the M4 can use a 500 lumen LA for about 12 minutes total (3 minutes till thermal shutdown), is this true?

Does the fact that the M6 is fatter make it easier to hold over the M4 or is the M4 a better size?

How does the M6 with 500 lumen LA compare against other lights (spotlights etc,), is it somewhat compareable to a million CP spotlight?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously, with the truly new technology of the Surefire line (rechargeable Li-lon batts., regulated LED combo flashlights etc.) coming out in the next 6 months, maybe that $250. shouldn't burn a hole in your pocket-quite yet...
smile.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vcal:
Seriously, with the truly new technology of the Surefire line (rechargeable Li-lon batts., regulated LED combo flashlights etc.) coming out in the next 6 months, maybe that $250. shouldn't burn a hole in your pocket-quite yet...
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, a Digital M6 would be nice, with rechargeable Li-Ion batteries!

Size15's

Flashaholic
The SureFire M6 is a beauty.

The M4 will run the N62 500Lu/12min lamp for about 3 minutes constant-on before shutting down. NOT that you should be using the N62 as a constant-on lamp.

The M6 produces the light, and has the muscle to keep it whiter for longer.

These 200Lu++ lamps require the SF123A to really shine.

True, there are many exciting things to save for, but like many, rational thought doesn't factor. You want an M6 now. I wanted a 10X. I got one. I bet you'll get an M6.

Go for it!

Al
grin.gif

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M6 is a spectacular "must have" flashlight.

I highly recommend that you order it, and that you get one now, while there are still some pre-2/01/02 prices available.

Good luck to you!

hairydogs

Newly Enlightened
The size of M3 is not much smaller than the M6. So between M3 and M4, I would go for the M4. Moreover, M4 could sustain the a 200+ lumen output for an entire hour. After a while, one would get used to the 200+ lumen and dissatisfy with the 105 lumens or 225 lumens for 20 min. in M3. As far as 200 lumens lighting power is concerned, M4 is more economical to run and would save money in the long term.

On the other hand, 10X is, for the rechargeable battery pack, more economical to run than the M6. It is more fun and versatile but obviously less robust and less survivable. The body of M6 looks far too fragile.

Just wonder any flasholics have inadvertently test how suvivable a 10X is?

I own both an M4 and 10X.

hairydogs

Newly Enlightened
sorry

The last sentence of the second paragraph should read 10X is fragile, not the M6.

Any comments, experience, tests, etc., on how waterproof these two flashlights are?

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Hairydog!

Just a helpful hint that I didn`t learn about right away either....you can edit and modify your posts on CPF by clicking on the "Edit" icon located at the top of the post. (If you already knew this and intentionally wanted to do a separate second post, though, just ignore this post!)

Take care.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deanster:

...So, I had the chance to play with (lovingly caress) a Surefire M6 Magnum a few days ago, and just can't get it out of my mind....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Deanster,

Welcome to our friendly group of happy obsessives.

IMO (In my opinion) the two most beautiful flashlights that I own are the E2 and M6. It's like having a Beagle and and a Russian Wolfhound for pets; they're totally different but you love them both.

The M6 is a true marvel. It's approximately the size of a conventional 2D flashlight, with a somewhat larger head. Its specs are amazing: 7 3/4' long x 1 3/4" wide (2 1/2" head), and weighs only 15.9oz fully loaded (Ijust weighed it). The amount of light that pours forth from this beauty is stunningly out of proportion to its size.

While it's certainly not an EDC light for a civilian, Blackhawk makes an excellent holster for it that enabled me to belt-carry it for a day quite comfortably.

Buy it now or wait for SF's futuristic new generation?

Deanster old man....there are some decisions we can only make for ourselves.

Best regards,
Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Carpe Diem:
Good post, Brightnorm.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carpe Diem,

Thanks! I'm not sure what's so good about it, but I'm glad you liked it.

Best regards,
Brightnorm

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
The SureFire M6 is a beauty.

The M4 will run the N62 500Lu/12min lamp for about 3 minutes constant-on before shutting down. NOT that you should be using the N62 as a constant-on lamp.

The M6 produces the light, and has the muscle to keep it whiter for longer.

These 200Lu++ lamps require the SF123A to really shine.

True, there are many exciting things to save for, but like many, rational thought doesn't factor. You want an M6 now. I wanted a 10X. I got one. I bet you'll get an M6.

Go for it!

Al
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One thing I don't understand that maybe you can clear up. If the M4 (or 12PM) with 4 123's burns for 60min with the 225 lumen MN60 LA, then why does the M6 not burn longer than 60 min with 6 123's and its 225 lumen MN20 LA?

6 123's -vs- 4 123's x 225 Lu = 60min each?

Then if you put the 500 Lu LA in the M6 it burns 20 min uninterrupted, but the M4/12PM only burns 12min and only in 3 min bursts.

My question
smile.gif
Why are the run-times the same with the 225 Lu LA's and different with the 500 Lu LA's?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I thought the MN20 was 150Lu for 60mins?

Anyways, the M6 is two sets of three SF123As in parallel.

The N62 500Lu/12min lamp overdrives the batteries. They get very hot. They have a thermal fuse that cuts the juice when they get too hot.

Thermal shutdown can be avoided by using the N62 in short bursts, flashes and strobes. This also allows the batteries to recover, and from my experience, give you longer "inital high" brilliant output.

I suppose the are many reasons why the MN20 250Lu runs for 60 minutes. My views are 1)let others try to build a better bulb , because, 2)If there was a better bulb, SureFire would be using it.

Also, compare the 225Lu & 250Lu beams, and there is a difference - especially through the runtime.

Al

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
I thought the MN20 was 150Lu for 60mins?
Also, compare the 225Lu & 250Lu beams, and there is a difference - especially through the runtime.

Al
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The information/catalog I have says the MN20 is 225 Lumens & the MN60 is 225 Lumens. Must be a misprint.
blush.gif
frown.gif

Yes, it is. On another page it says M6 comes with 250 & 500 lu LA's. Well everything makes more sense now.
blush.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
There is nothing to stop you apart from;

1) SureFire have only released two lamps for the M6 - the MN20 & MN21.
2) SureFire warn against using lamps other then those specifically designed for each light.
3) If you are lucky, the MN15 may work in the M6 - for a short while perhaps. If you are lucky, it will burn out, and you will have wasted a lamp. If you are unlucky, the bulb will explode ruining your TurboHead Bezel.

People have asked if you can run the MN10 & MN11 with the Z46 on the M6. The answer is the same as above. No. However, you can do whatever you want, but you're messing with expensive parts and it is likely to end in tears.

My understanding is that the M6 pumps out more juice then the M3 (hence the longer runtimes and higher outputs), and that only the M6 lamps are designed to handle those conditions.

Al

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Point taken!
shocked.gif

I've finally decided I'm going to get the M6!
cool.gif

I don't plan doing anything that will mess up this expensive torch!
smile.gif

Latest posts