Do Inretech drop-ins provide good flood?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was about to order 2 of the minimag dropins, and was wondering about the beam.

though i like a nice central hotspot for throw, i also like a good wide flood. or, i should say i prefer a good balance of both.

i had a reactor, which was pretty good (the LS was an awful green--i hope the inretechs are whiter), and some LS/O that are pretty close to what i like (wouldnt mind just a bit more flood).

my reason for choosing the inretech are: inexpensive, fairly bright, long runtime, long bulb life, LED durability, small package, lithium compatible.

any comments?

Bob

ps is there a flashaholic anonymous? how would one detox a flashaholic...perhaps take my flashlights away 1 by 1?

Luminocity

Newly Enlightened
Bob, I have a white Inretech AA adapter and I like it a lot. It has a nice bright central spot and what I consider to be a fairly wide flood. I have not tried any WW, but that might give you a bit more flood than just the stock adapter. All in all, a nice light. Of course lithiums are mandatory with this solution.

On Lithiums, I have found that my white Inretech seems to put out more light than the 2 ARC LS's I have owned and my BB500 (albeit at a more green tint, but still not too green). I think I got lucky and wound up with an unusually good Luxeon.

Brody

Newly Enlightened
While I do like the spot beam of the inretech 2AA, if I want a wide angle flood, you can just unscrew the cap all the way and then it will be a very wide flood beam, great for if you want to light up a wide area.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Luminocity:

On Lithiums, I have found that my white Inretech seems to put out more light than the 2 ARC LS's I have owned and my BB500 (albeit at a more green tint, but still not too green). I think I got lucky and wound up with an unusually good Luxeon.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You certainly did. Either that or your Arcs were sub par.

My experience with many (too many) of these lights suggests the following:

1)LGI is the champ (by a country mile)

2) KL3 is runner up

3)My best SLS ( 500ma/2AA Lith) beats my best KL1 in amount of light, width of field and whiteness of beam, but is approx equal in throw.

4) KL1(generally) beats SLS (2AA Lith) in throw and brightness at expense of total bright runtimne (KL1 beats ARC for 4 hrs, after which ARC pulls ahead and is still as bright as fresh Reactor at 6 hours). Also Every one of my KL1's are unpleasantly intense purple, while five of my nine ARCS are relatively white.

5)The weakest BB or MM beats the strongest Reactor or Inretech. BB's and MM's are excellent lights but for my personal use short runtime reduces their appeal.

6)Reactors are brighter than my Inretechs, but I prefer Inretechs MAG AA form factor. I performed demanding percussive tests on both brands.Both lights are very tough and will take a beating, literally.

7)My preferred LED EDC is my favorite SLS 400/2AA Lith. It is tiny, fits into slightly modified MAG AAApouch, is far less obtrusive than E2e/KL1, provides beautifully white flood only slightly less intense than KL1.

8)ARC 123 is lots of fun, pleasingly short in stature but too short in runtime for this Flashaholic.

9) I find that an unregulated Luxeon light is invaluable for extended outings or emergencies. Naturally their light is relatively weak compared to other lights mentioned (perhaps with the occasional exception like that mentioned by Luminosity). Either the Reactor or Inretech are excellent examples of this class.

Brightnorm

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like you need to get out there and buy more flashlights, Norm.
winkie.GIF

Merry Christmas, guy.
grin.gif
:

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
It seems to me, that if the flashlight/mod makers are using the LS factory optics, then they should all have similar beam patterns. Color is determined by sorting (or lack there of) and power applied to the LS. Brightness and throw is also a function of power applied. But to re-state...beam pattern is determined by optics. Generally speaking of course!
grin.gif

Merry Christmas everyone!

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
Originally quoted by Luminocity.

Bob, I have a white Inretech AA adapter and I like it a lot. It has a nice bright central spot and what I consider to be a fairly wide flood. I have not tried any WW, but that might give you a bit more flood than just the stock adapter. All in all, a nice light. Of course lithiums are mandatory with this solution.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can believe this.
I have the same thing with my Reactor.
My first Reactor was terrible and had a faulty switch with famous green beam.
The replacement I was sent is very bright on Lithiums and can even hold it's own against my BB500.

Merry Christmas!!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by vcal:
winkie.GIF

Merry Christmas, guy.
grin.gif
:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Doug,

I'm not usually a compulsive type, and I sometimes look at my light collection and think: "this is absolutely SICK!" and then I go merrily on buying lights.

There are now more than 3000 of us of all ages, professions and life situations scattered all over the world, and we're all united by this common fascination with light.

Remarkable!

Merry Christmas!
Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by vcal:
winkie.GIF

Merry Christmas, guy.
grin.gif
:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Doug,

I'm not usually a compulsive type, and I sometimes look at my light collection and think: "this is absolutely SICK!" and then I go merrily on buying lights.

There are now more than 3000 of us of all ages, professions and life situations scattered all over the world, and we're all united by this common fascination with light.

Remarkable!

Merry Christmas!
Brightnorm