Shuttle launch story

senatephoto

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I am a long time lurker, and flashaholic. However, I have an interesting story to relate. I'm a photographer and was recently covering the last shuttle launch. As you know, the first two launches got scrubbed. We set our cameras up remotely, fired by sound. Well, we had to "reservice" our remotes, and had to go into the swamp at night, pitch black! All of the other photogs had pretty lame lights that weren't very effective, and when they saw the power and size of my Fenix L1p, they freaked. I ended up loaning my Fenix to everyone, and I think made a convert of most. It is a wonderful light, and just for that one event, well worth the money. I have in my camera bag always! (and also now a P1!)

Senatephoto

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, those guys aren't terribly well equipped are they? Perhaps you could suggest alternatives to them instead of having to loan them your light. For those who are stand-offish about getting an brand that isn't terribly well known like Fenix, you can also suggest the Dorcy 1W CR123 that's available from Target. Since they're photographers, the CR123 cost issue shouldn't even enter into the question as I'm sure they all already know where to get those batteries cheap enough.

senatephoto said:
Hello all,

I am a long time lurker, and flashaholic. However, I have an interesting story to relate. I'm a photographer and was recently covering the last shuttle launch. As you know, the first two launches got scrubbed. We set our cameras up remotely, fired by sound. Well, we had to "reservice" our remotes, and had to go into the swamp at night, pitch black! All of the other photogs had pretty lame lights that weren't very effective, and when they saw the power and size of my Fenix L1p, they freaked. I ended up loaning my Fenix to everyone, and I think made a convert of most. It is a wonderful light, and just for that one event, well worth the money. I have in my camera bag always! (and also now a P1!)

Senatephoto

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
good idea !

that Ultra fire AA and the Huntlight AA are priced right @ $20 each

yekim

Enlightened
I have converted a few people. Sometimes it takes giving the lights out as gifts because they can't seem get themselves to spend $30 on a light, but at least they somehow get the lights in hand.

Gotta run, there is someone out there still using a old plastic 2d flashlight with a yellow beam....I can hear them smacking the light to get it to turn on.....

redcar

Enlightened
senatephoto,

Be careful out there! I've been in that 'swamp' and it is full of alligators. Watch your step. I would want a light with lots of spill to keep an eye out for those critters. Great place to be in the daytime if you like birds though.

Redd