Does anybody in a rural area have a Motorola Razr?

Jasmes

Enlightened
Its time for me to get a new phone, and I'd like to get a Razr, but I see that it doesn't have analog roaming capabilities. Since I do occasionaly venture out into the more rural areas of the USA, mostly northern New England, do you think I might wind up stuck without service when I need it? I've never bothered to see if I was getting digital service when I'm up there... anyone have any insight?

blueknight2000

Newly Enlightened
Hey this is my first posting on this forum so I will talk about something I feel strongly about. I am a Police Officer so I was looking for a cell phone that was thin, so I could conceal it and that had a camera and video so I can capture some of those "interesting" moments at work. Without researching I immediately jumped on the bandwagon and ordered my Razor from Verizon.

Upon receiving it I quickly liked its compact size. Shortly after I noticed the many drawbacks of the phone. First, because of its small design, the battery life is very poor. I mean really really poor. Secondly, the camera shutter lens is very slow so the pictures are fuzzy and unclear, not to mention it has no flash. The video recorder only works if you are on the planet Mercury or some other place extermely close to the sun or some "extreme" flashlight.

Now for the kicker. Being a thim phone, I would set it to vibrate and put it in my pocket. The volume buttons which are on the side of the phone are very sensitive. Once while testifying in court my phone rang despite me having it on vibrate. The volume setting never stays the same once it goes in your pocket which in my job can be very untactical. Also while talking the buttons are accidentally pressed by your hand due to its sensitivity and placement.

I did not like my RAzor. I rencently got a verizon LG8300. This phone has proven to be one of my favorites next to my old Star Tac.

Anyways hopefully I was helpful. Good Luck on whtever you decide.

Jasmes

Enlightened
blueknight2000 said:
Hey this is my first posting on this forum so I will talk about something I feel strongly about. I am a Police Officer so I was looking for a cell phone that was thin, so I could conceal it and that had a camera and video so I can capture some of those "interesting" moments at work. Without researching I immediately jumped on the bandwagon and ordered my Razor from Verizon.

Upon receiving it I quickly liked its compact size. Shortly after I noticed the many drawbacks of the phone. First, because of its small design, the battery life is very poor. I mean really really poor. Secondly, the camera shutter lens is very slow so the pictures are fuzzy and unclear, not to mention it has no flash. The video recorder only works if you are on the planet Mercury or some other place extermely close to the sun or some "extreme" flashlight.

Now for the kicker. Being a thim phone, I would set it to vibrate and put it in my pocket. The volume buttons which are on the side of the phone are very sensitive. Once while testifying in court my phone rang despite me having it on vibrate. The volume setting never stays the same once it goes in your pocket which in my job can be very untactical. Also while talking the buttons are accidentally pressed by your hand due to its sensitivity and placement.

I did not like my RAzor. I rencently got a verizon LG8300. This phone has proven to be one of my favorites next to my old Star Tac.

Anyways hopefully I was helpful. Good Luck on whtever you decide.

I'm very attracted to its thin profile because it will slip very easily into my cycilng jersey. I'm not too worried about the picture quality, but the battery is worrying. How bad was it?

blueknight2000

Newly Enlightened
It depends on how much you use it. If its not being used, the battery wil lasy approx 2-3 days without charging. However if you speak on the phone alot then you will have to charge it quite often. As for the roaming cababilities, I got slightly less reception in my house then with my other cell phones. However it wasnt very noticeable. If pictures and volume dont bother you, then the razor is great for its size, but in my opinion, there are far better phones available. Speak to an "honest" cell phone dealer and they should tell you about all the people trying to return their Razors due to poor quality. Good luck.

Blueknight

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Razr battery has been and remains a source of great discussion.

Most sources seem to think that the newer batteries sold in phones are much improved over the originals.

I have 5 Razrs in my family, we are on Cingular, and all last at least 48 hours with normal use and as long as 96 hours without recharging if used very sparingly.

I have used my battery up in as little as 1 day, but I spent 4+ hours on the phone that day.

As far as reception, most, if not all, of Cingulars analog towers have been shut down/converted to digital, so I have not had problems in the rural Western US or Southeastern US when visiting there.

In fact, my Razr has had the best reception of any pocket phone I've had. The old, original analog bag phones, however, were even better for that, but were just a LITTLE bit tougher to conceal.

As for the photo part of the phone, it's a gadget, not a camera.

Bill

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still miss my Moto 3160 (about 8 years ago)

it was a brick and had CRAZY talk time. I belaive it was over 3 hours!!!

As for new phones, help is on the way! I just spoke with a Sansung rep last week and a "dummy" thin phone like the Razr will be coming out soon.... He said to expect some razr issue to be eliminated... Who knows???

I need a phone that can grow little fins and swim when i'm :drunk: LOL

gorn

Enlightened
I switched to cingular because of the coverage area. I had a sprint personal phone and a nextel taskforce phone. Neither of them worked up the coast. When I changed I got the razr. I have to say it is the best phone I have ever owned. I have had cell phones since the days they were bag phones. The battery life on my razr is great, I have never had it die on me. I don't use the camera and my razr is pre video razr.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
James, whereabouts in northern New England are you talking about? I may be able to give you my experience, using the Razr in northern New England.

Jasmes said:
Its time for me to get a new phone, and I'd like to get a Razr, but I see that it doesn't have analog roaming capabilities. Since I do occasionaly venture out into the more rural areas of the USA, mostly northern New England, do you think I might wind up stuck without service when I need it? I've never bothered to see if I was getting digital service when I'm up there... anyone have any insight?

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also note that there are different versions of the Razr depending on the service provider, with different features and battery life. T-Mo and Cingular use GSM, but the Cingular Razr has more features. Verizon is CDMA, with different features.

Yeah, you could get caught in the sticks with no service, depending on your carrier. Just like the days before cell phones! I'm on T-Mo, so have no analog option anyway.

Virgo

Newly Enlightened
I live in a fairly rural part of Texas. I use Verizon and I think an LG. My cell in this area is absolutely useless. Pics are pretty poor, and reception varies. My grandmother came to visit with her Cingular Razr and had incredibly clear reception even in the house. The camera was of much higher quality and resolution than mine also. I'm not sure how long her battery lasts, but I do know that it put mine to shame.
I hate cell phones, and am not endorsing the Razr in anyway, just relaying my limited experience with them.
I can't wait until my cell phone contract is up. That's it for me. Then I'll have $65 per month more for flashlights.

Jasmes

Enlightened
geepondy said:
James, whereabouts in northern New England are you talking about? I may be able to give you my experience, using the Razr in northern New England.

I'm mostly concerned about the towns around/outside the ski resorts in VT.

Jasmes

Enlightened
While on this subject, does anyone have any experience with bluetooth headsets? I heard the call quality can be pretty poor on some, think they are worth the money?

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Plantronics 510 ($42 at Amazon today) for my Razr, and it's pretty good. Fits behind the ear and has a small boom for the mic. I though a boom would get the mic closer to the mouth and sound better than those that have the mic closer to the unit. Friends say fidelity is OK, but that using the phone itself normally sounds the best.

It's probably worth it if you must talk and drive. I haven't had the heart to call people while cycling. Otherwise, I don't phone that much and don't want to walk around all day with a - thing - on my ear.

Jasmes

Enlightened
louie said:
I have a Plantronics 510 ($42 at Amazon today) for my Razr, and it's pretty good. Fits behind the ear and has a small boom for the mic. I though a boom would get the mic closer to the mouth and sound better than those that have the mic closer to the unit. Friends say fidelity is OK, but that using the phone itself normally sounds the best.

It's probably worth it if you must talk and drive. I haven't had the heart to call people while cycling. Otherwise, I don't phone that much and don't want to walk around all day with a - thing - on my ear.

Thats pretty cheap, I'll have to check that unit out.

I'd only want one for driving, I certainly wouldn't wear it around like some people do, and the only reason I bring my phone with me while cycling is for emergency purposes, so no use for a headset there.

Bradlee

Enlightened
Manzerick said:
As for new phones, help is on the way! I just spoke with a Sansung rep last week and a "dummy" thin phone like the Razr will be coming out soon.... He said to expect some razr issue to be eliminated... Who knows??? LOL

Perhaps you mean Samsung's A900? I just picked one up a couple of weeks ago, and have been quite pleased with it. The user-interface is quite intuitive, and it is many times more solid than the rather flimsy razr. A good razr alternative, IMO.

K A

Enlightened
If only want a phone for emergancies. See if you can pick up an older phone from somewhere that has analog. Even with no contract cell phones are still required to be able to dial 911. That is of course if the phone has service. My sister has an older Nokia 6340i which is a Gait phone and has Analog/TDMA/GSM. I'm keeping it just for emergancies. Though Analog and TDMA service areas are slowly being reduced. Soon it will be good just for a GSM phone.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Not about the Razr, though I think it MIGHT be my next phone...

I'm on Cingular with a Nokia 3120 presently. I live about 2-3 miles from what I believe is the tower closest to me. I can't really use my phone in the house, but the front yard is okay.

There is only one other place I know I have no signal in Texas. FM787 out towards DEEP east Texas.

I think Cingular rocks! I'll have to see if a Razr will be okay for me...

K A

Enlightened
If you have Cingular here is a map that you can use to zoom in on their coverage area. As in all coverage maps this is approximate and supposedly last updated on May 31, 2006.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't find the review I read but the motoPHONE is supposed to have *very* long battery life and a dual antenna, as well as being low cost.