MagLED Options and Opinions Please

dim

Enlightened
A local Home Depot has 2-cell and 4-cell MagLEDs (drop-ins) in stock. Just by chance (OK, I'm a flashaholic) I happen to have a 2C Maggie and a 4D Maggie that are not really doing anything. A smallish 2C MagLED would be sweet, but having to deal with, yet, another battery type would not. The 4D, bought for $10 on sale at HD, is, well, a 4D - big, heavy and out shone by my smaller MAG118 8xAA 2D.

While a 4D MagLED would, likely, be an excellent emergency type flashlight with plenty of Lumens, throw and runtime, because of its size, aside from emergencies and blackouts, I just don't think that it would be used much. On the other hand, while a 2C MagLED would be used for tasks and fun, C batteries kind of tick me off because they, typically, cost the same as D batts but with less than half the capacity as well as not being quite as available as Ds and AAs. Which MagLED would you get (first)?

Trying to avoid C batteries but, still, liking the 2C Maggie form, I wonder what alternative power (batteries) MagLEDs can use effectively. Would 2xAA NiMH batts drive a 2-cell MagLED? Would they drive it to full power/output? How about a 3.7/4.2 Volt Li-Ion batt? Would it overdrive and burn out a 2-cell MagLED? How would a 3-cell MagLED fair with one Li-Ion cell? Could the 3-cell MagLED be driven by one Li-Ion or would it be under-driven?

According to FlashlightReviews, MagLEDs lose about 50% of their output in the first 15 minutes because of heat. Once cooled, will the MagLED return to full output? Also, if a MagLED is kept on for 15 minutes for, say, taskwork or anything, really, is the drop in output noticeable? Is it annoying and/or distracting? While the reviewed runtime for a 3D MagLED is 22:50 to 50%, this is if a 3D MagLED is left on continuously for the duration - basically, near 50% output for 22:35 of that run. If for non-continuous use, used for a just few minutes at a time with its output closer to 75% to 100%, what would the effect on total runtime be and by how much? What is the runtime of a stock 2C MagLED?

Any other thoughts that you might have on MagLEDs, (alternative) batteries, output and runtime would be appreciated.

dim

Rowrbazzle

Newly Enlightened
I'm kinda thinking of picking up a 2C myself, both because of the smaller size and because of the options it opens up.

I figure if I want both a lot of light and pretty good runtime, I drop in the 2-cell M*gLED. Keep in mind that even with a 2C, "pretty good runtime" would be waaay better than I've ever gotten out of my 3D incan. If I find myself in a situation where I really, really need looong runtime, I can pop out the M*gLED and drop in one of the SMJ PR2s that I got from TrueBlue. I can even use it in candle mode for emergency area lighting. Then there's the other end of the spectrum - 3 CR123s, a little heater hose, and a 6-cell M*gnum Star bulb! When I saw that mod on QuickBeam's site I almost got the giggles. (If its that simple, is it legitimate to call it a "mod"?)

You put that kind of versatility together with the small form factor and you've got a serious, problem-solving tool. At least that's what I'm telling myself. I suspect its really just that its been a couple of weeks since I bought anything luminous!

Regards

carrot

Flashaholic
It will not go back to *full* power. Output will go back up, but after having ran it awhile, turning it off, and turning it back on later, I noticed my MagLED to not be as bright as it originally was. New batteries fixed that. But runtime should be insane on these things, making it a great emergency light.

I returned mine to Target because I needed the cash for other things, but I intend to buy one again sometime in the future.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello dim:)
My thoughts:
A Magled isn't bad for the most people, who needs a light sometimes a month.
But for a flashaholic, as a worklight with many tasks for the light, I would buy something like this ones:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/123310

The big advantage is, you will have a really good heatsink so you can get the full potencial out of the Led. You will have no plastic lense and a great performer.
I will not say, that the stock Mags or dropin's are bad, but when you will buy a complete new one, I would go this way.

Best regards

____
Tom