How to remove lens from Dorcy 1AAA?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I just modded a Dorcy 1AAA with a Nichia 365nm UV LED and I'd lile to remove the lens to see whether it's attenuating the UV at all. The LED has it's own glass lens on it so I don't need to pass through 2 stages of focusing optics.

It seems reasonably bright through the Dorcy lens, but I haven't tested it with a wide range of fluorescent materials yet.

The lens appears to have been inserted from the front, but I can't tell from looking at it whether it's just a press-fit or if it's glued in there.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a press fit. To get it out, you have to tap it from the back with an object the same size as the opening, such as a small dowel. The reflector comes out along with it. Leave both of them out and use the light with the front open and you'll see a vastly improved beam. That's how I use my Dorcy AAAs.

shaman

Newly Enlightened
I use to different size sockets and then use a clamp to slowly press one out into the other. One socket(lets say socket A) will be for the wide bezel end, exact size. The other (lets say socket B) will be to push to lens/reflector out into the larger (socket A) when squeezed together. Make sure to do it slowly, if the inner (socket B) or outer (socket A) is not lined up, it will trash the reflector.

Socket A will be against the front of the dorcy bezel, where the light shines out.
Socket B will go into where the LED/Battery tube screws in.
Slowly screw down a C clamp.
Reflector and lens will be in Socket A.

----|---\
A [| ==]B
----|---/

Sorry for the junky ASCII diagram, I some how feel like it will not look more like I fell asleep on the keyboard than anything coherent :).

Sincerely,

Shaman