q3 head remove ?

city cop

Newly Enlightened
How do you remove the head on the Q3, I want to change the lens. And does it effect the waterproofing after removal?

FirstDsent

Enlightened
The threads have some type of thread locker on them. The threadlocker can be softened by heat. I used the "boil in the bag" method. It's foolproof. Use a sturdy zip lock bag. It only takes a couple of minutes to reach temp. use gloves and unscrew. While you're at it, unscrew the head adapter from the battery tube also. That's the part with the clip attached to it. It is also threadlocked and o-ring sealed. You might as well have all the parts unglued.

I completely disassembled my light, removed the light engine, the two copper contact rings, the reflector, lens, and o-rings. The tailcap doesn't have threadlocker on it, so don't bother working on it. I soaked just the bare aluminum batery tube,head adapter, and bezel parts in MEK solvent to dissolve the glue. I then used a toothbrush to scrub it away. Rinse, and let dry. All the parts will be completely clean and the threads will all feel smooth to turn. Lacquer thinnner is a good substitute for MEK, but MEK cuts faster, and drys almost instantly.

Bernie

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like blindasabat, I use a pair of strap wrenches...opens it every time w/ no scratches and no heating required. The only problem I've had tearing apart a Q3 was that on one (my friend's), the retaining ring that holds the Lux Star down was stuck (possibly accidentically glued) and I couldn't swap out his LED.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine just twisted right off as well; there wasn't any hint of glue/Loctite on the threads. I think it may vary depending upon where you get your Q3 from. After you remove the bezel, you do have to unscrew reflector from the bezel to get to the lens.