**HEATWAVE'S OVER**Suspending Sales on the B/S/T Forum because of heatwave.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
EDIT: The heatwave is over, and I'm up and running again. Thanks to everyone, for their kind offers of help, and patience. I love this forum.

oldgrandpajack

I have to suspend sales on the B/S/T lights forum, until the weekend.

We're having a heatwave with high humidity, and my health isn't up to it. Don't have air conditioning. I can't package in this heat and humidity. I'll be up and running again, this weekend.

Pedalinbob:
I packaged your E2O yesterday, and will ship it today.

oldgrandpajack

Last edited:
Re: Suspending Sales on the B/S/T Forum because of heatwave.

oldgrandpajack said:
I have to suspend sales on the B/S/T lights forum, until the weekend.

We're having a heatwave with high humidity, and my health isn't up to it. Don't have air conditioning. I can't package in this heat and humidity. I'll be up and running again, this weekend.

Pedalinbob:
I packaged your E2O yesterday, and will ship it today.

oldgrandpajack

That's alright, Gramps. We want you up and runnin' so take your time. And watch out for that damn cat of yours. :grin2: Dad

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

oldgrandpajack

We just got over that same heatwave in the West and it was very bad.

Stay hydrated (water only, no caffeine drinks), stay indoors (go to a local Cooling Center, Mall or movie theater), restrict your activity and dress down. By the weekend, you should be OK.

Marty

Last edited:

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

In my boxers now. All the drapes are drawn, and windows closed. Had the windows open all night, with fans blowing. It's still too hot, and it hasn't gotten hot out yet. Going to the Post Office next, to ship an E2O. Last resort may be a motel, if I can find a room. It's a lot of work, carrying the oxygen bottles, and other paraphenalia out to the car, and then into the motel.

Zorro seems to be OK with the heat, if a little slower. He has plenty of water, and prefers the garage in the summer (cold floor?). Just finished brushing him out. Didn't have a choice, as he planted himself in front of the computer. :)

oldgrandpajack

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast

powernoodle said:
OGJ: save up your pennies and get yourself a dang window unit!

cheers

Or depending upon where you live, a swamp cooler! Please take care.

photorob

Enlightened

powernoodle said:
OGJ: save up your pennies and get yourself a dang window unit!

cheers

That sounds like a great idea. So sell me a TI PD an you'll have the funds needed to get your hands on one.

Sorry I had to try.

WNG

Enlightened

There's always someone giving away a used AC on craigslist.org, especially in Boston.
Maybe someone close by can check craigslist for you and pick one of these up and install it for you and the kitty.

It's going to be HOT. So, try to stay cool and out of danger. Maybe stay at a mall during the day, and a theater during the evening until the temp comes down.

Worst case, soak in the tub with a good book or magazine.
Or wipe yourself down often with a wet cold towel in front of a fan.
This always helped me when no AC was available.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

Got through day one of the heatwave OK. Went out in the car (air conditioned) and went to the Post Office, and got more oxygen bottles at Lincare. Haven't been using the oxygen concentrator, because it generates a lot of heat. Don't need more heat!

Tomorrow is supposed to be a repeat of today, and then it's supposed to cool down. THANK GOD!

oldgrandpajack

cy

Flashaholic

for goodness sake at least get one window unit and cool down one room. close off one room.

a 5,000 btu window unit cost under $100. $85 at Sams.
we can all send funds if need be...

I'll send $50, if someone else will send the other half...

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

Cy:

Thanks for the offer, but it's not that simple. I have a very small home, with no place to put a window, or even a wall unit, where it's needed. Also would need to have an electrician run a new line for the unit, if I had a place to put it. The basement is semi finished, and sheetrock would have to be removed, in order to run the line. It's just too much trouble, for the few days a year, like today. If worse comes to worse, I'll find a motel room with air conditioning.

Thanks again, for your kind offer.
oldgrandpajack

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Y'all could come visit me.

71F was the high today, 63 outside now. I'm sitting with my feet on a heated floor mat to keep my toes warm.

Update... According to the weatherman, our high today was actually only 66!!! Don't know if my thermometer or theirs was off, or just slight difference in location.

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

From New Mexico on the first day of August?

Silviron said:

71F was the high today, 63 outside now. I'm sitting with my feet on a heated floor mat to keep my toes warm.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

Silviron said:

Sounds like heaven! :)

oldgrandpajack

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

geepondy said:
From New Mexico on the first day of August?

Yep.

South central NM....

Been sprinkling rain nearly constantly for 9 days now, so it is a little cooler than usual, although around here we consider 85 to be a hot day. Couple of nights ago I checked the outdoor thermometer and it was 40F at about 2am.

But I must admit, I'm up in the mountains, not down in the desert.

cy

Flashaholic

not giving up yet...

you can easily run a 110 A/C unit off a heavy (12/3) extension cord safely. home depot has both A/C unit ($100) and 12/3 cord ($20) in stock.

now all you gotta do is figure out where to hang it. these little A/C units fit almost any window. you could vent it into the hallway or where ever the fans are blowing to.

don't want you to drop from the heat...

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm with Brother Cy. You've got a window, and you've got 110. Give Kitty a break and get the dang window unit. :)

cheers

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

When we had no power for nearly two weeks after last years hurricane, one thing I did was to take the window AC from the back room and run it at night in my room so I could sleep!

It would seem that there MUST be SOME way you could have a small window unit. Though if for you this sort of heat is not common (as it is here in SE Texas!), this may not be worth the effort...

rugbymatt

Enlightened

Hey Cy if you can convince OGJ to take your offer of $50, I will match it. Send me a pm if it is a go. No one should have to take this heat without ac.