wow!...Taskforce 3aa-on sale

mossyone

Newly Enlightened
Just bought a polymer (plastic) 3aa at lowes for 8 bucks and it rocks! Very bright although a bit large the egonomics are not to bad. A good all around one watter thats bright with good side spill and a nice spot. Kicks my L1's ***. Not to say it really compares to the L1 for most purposes but it takes aa batterys and is much brighter - a great beater light.

They are on sale so check it out; I doubt you will be disapointed.

lumenal

Enlightened
I bought the same light yesterday at Lowes; at $8.97 it is a good deal.

Its Item#102786. I checked the website, and it isn't listed.

Its a 1 watt Luxeon LED, made by Task Force, black ABS construction with a soft rubber grip, lanyard included. 3AA Duracell cells are included. It has a side, reverse clickie, and will stand on it's tail.

If so desired, unscrew the head, and turn it over, and loosen the 3 exposed phillips screws, and you can then check out the Luxeon star.

Output is pretty bright, with good spill. A little ringy, kind of like the Dorcy Metal Gear, but you don't notice it much.

A great buy at $8.97!:rock:

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
The beam was a concern when I looked at these lights before. It's got that "collimating hole in the middle" type lens like some of the early Coast lights. (At least it looks like a hole or is that an optical illusion through the packaging?)
Any chance of a beamshot? And since you can take the light apart, any chance to just replace it with a window instead of the lens?

tvman

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the info guys. I grabbed one of these. IMHO decent output for a 1w. I needed another aa light. Originally about $14.97 so not bad for $8.97.

Last edited:

fishx65

Enlightened
I just picked up two of these. It feels very cheap but is very bright with a decent beam. It's about the same size as a pro-poly but much lighter. Best deal on a luxeon I've ever seen except for the 3D dorcys I picked up at target. THANKS MOSSYONE !!!!

fishx65

Enlightened
Have not had a chance to look at it yet but would assume direct drive. I've noticed that there are a lot of good direct drive AAA's out there (Element and Metal Gear) but this one is run with AA's. Shouldn't it run longer than a AAA direct drive? The tint on the two that I picked up is very nice. These things are very light weight.

Alexis

Newly Enlightened
got one.
the tint is very green on mine
the collimator is average too

lumenal

Enlightened
Alexis- I bought 2 of these lights. The first one has a nice, white tint, with a good beam.

The second one had the sickly green tint you speak of. I'll take it back and try another.

The "Luxeon Lottery" is definitely at play here...

For the price of $8.97, what can you expect? Its almost "disposable".:huh:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, pretty much just a Luxeon star holder. It actually looks pretty water tight, though, and a nice alternative to all the 3xAAA formats out there. Popped the star, and it is throttled by a resistor, but it is shrink wrapped, so I can't decode the bars to tell how many ohms. I liked the tint and brightness on the first so well I bought the last one at each of the two Lowe's near me, and one of those was pretty good too, the other as green as I have ever seen. Taking that one back, I'm happy with two.

I took some measurements on the head, and run time should indeed be good. With sorta fresh alkalines, it pulled just under 400 ma. On recently charged NiMH's, I got 220 ma, and it does not look all that much dimmer. But the interesting one was a set of "dead", 1.20 v open circuit, alkies. That only used 60 ma, but was still about as bright as an SMJLED PR bulb running NiMH's in a good host. So I would expect fairly flat, long run time on NiMH's, and the usual gradual declining brightness on alkaline, but with a really long tail of very usable light.

I've got one rubber banded to my bike handlebars right now, the rubber sleeve makes a nice surface to rest against the top of the bar, and it is a better beam than the usual cheap bike lights. Much better when I turn on the Sam's Element that is attached to the other side for "high beams".

Hondo

fishx65

Enlightened
Picked up two more for give-aways. Sounds like the runtime might be pretty good! I was thinking that this is the type of light that will soon be taking the place of all those cheap plastic incandecents at the local stores. This one would be at the top of the " SUPER poor flashaholics top ten" list!!!!!!

tvman

Newly Enlightened
mine has white tint. This is only my 2nd aa type of a least 1w (other is the 1.5w RR moonbeam $9.99 back in Jan or Feb). It is indeed cheap looking and the housing too fat for a AA light. I would buy another couple if they dropped to $5. Wonder if they are going to clearance the super 1w aaa?

Last edited:

DaveG

Enlightened
Just picked one up today.As mentioned it feels like a dollar store light, but for $8.97, this thing is not bad.Lucked out and got one that has a white tint to it. For under $10,a good deal.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought three today and am impressed with two of them. I opened the heads and checked the bins on mine.

The best one had an RYOJ in it, the other nice one had a QYOJ, and the one I am returning had a RYOJ. The one I am returning had a very bad donut hole from around 2 feet or so, while the others have no donut unless it is less than 3-4 inches from the wall.
The one with the Q bin actually looks to be just as bright as any of them if not brighter actually. It's hard to tell.

Either way these are a great value and thanks alot to the poster who brought these to everyones attention!!! :rock:

flashlife

Enlightened
Hondo said:
I took some measurements on the head, and run time should indeed be good. With sorta fresh alkalines, it pulled just under 400 ma. On recently charged NiMH's, I got 220 ma, and it does not look all that much dimmer. But the interesting one was a set of "dead", 1.20 v open circuit, alkies. That only used 60 ma, but was still about as bright as an SMJLED PR bulb running NiMH's in a good host. So I would expect fairly flat, long run time on NiMH's, and the usual gradual declining brightness on alkaline, but with a really long tail of very usable light.
Hondo

I confirmed Hondo's finding ...Draws ~400 Ma off fresh alkalines.
Also, the beam is similar to the Task Force 1-watt 3AAA...except the hotspot is a little bigger, the spill a little brighter, with a few more artifacts in the spill beam. Should run 3-5 hrs off AA alkalines...