Is a 4D Mag-LED worth it?

AlexSchira

Enlightened
To start, I'm a Mag-mod freak with a small army of Mini-Mags all around the house and frequently give the as gifts to those who would appreciate them. Right from the first day I got my hands on a Mag drop-in for my standard black 3D. Love it so much I bought a 2-Cell version and put it in a silver 2C for my girlfriend to use.

The 2C is in my girlfriend's car, but the 3D is my 'under-the-bed' light. Along with a few other neccessities such as an ASP baton, a wired phone on the nightstand, and s shoebox full of Pokemon cards. Just the bare survival essentials. I swear I could trade a non-hologram Alakazam in a Y2K situation, don't you dare judge me.

I'm not a survival or home-defense addict, if the trading cards didn't give me away. I just have that junk under my bed because there's nowhere else to put it where some one won't pick something up and smash a TV with it, I just have those kind of friends.

I've loved both Mag-LEDs so much, and since Home Depot is selling them so cheap, I'm considering getting a 4D as my new under-bed light and keeping the 3D next to our door so I can grab it on my way out to wherever. For some reason, this forum's tests have shown the 3D to be brighter than the 4D. But, that extra cell means more runtime, and with how much a 2D Mag-LED will suck out of D cells, I can imagine that thing would run for a week straight.
This is a bump in the night light, is the extra brightness neccesary or is the extra shelf-life/runtime and added size a better perk?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it's a matter of preference. I've tried both and preferred the output from the 3 cell Mag LED Upgrade modules (not the assembled lights). The light that I used for comparison was the 4 cell light that is sold at Home Depot. The output from the 3 cells did seem to be just a tad brighter (also noted in flashlightreview.com's review) though you'd really have to have the two side by side to see the difference, and the output from all of the assembled lights seem to be warmer (yellowish) than the upgrade modules that I have purchased. Of the 7 or 8 upgrade modules that I have bought, I've only returned one for a bad (greenish) tint. Regretably, I've returned every assembled Mag LED light that I've purchased (I think I've bought 2 or 3.)

The other thing is that size really does matter here <snicker>. Personally I'm kind of used to the length of the 3 cell lights and are more partial to that length. The 4 cell just felt odd for me (though I've had 4 cell Kel-Lites, Streamlights, and Mag Lites.) Don't know if the run time is any longer, or if the extra cell even buys you anything, but you do not get greater brightness.

BTW, stay cool in that heatwave. I'll never forget August as being probably the most miserable month in Chicagoland for a kid from California who was not used to humidity (winters I could tolerate, it was the summers that damn near killed me :) ). I think the tally for California ended up with something like heat-related 140 deaths over the last 2 week heatwave; I guess that's the one that you guys are getting now.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I'd use the 2D for the form factor and have the other 2D cells that I would've stuck in a 4D as backup reloads. You're much more likely to get deeper into that great runtime if your arms don't get so tired carrying the 4D.

hsjrev

Newly Enlightened
I've had a 4C with an Epieon from LEDCorp in my pickup for quite a while now. It's not the greatest for up close but has impressive throw. I love the form factor of the 4C light though and think a 4C with the Mag LED conversion drop-in would be great.
"No officer, that's not a head-bustin' billy club, it's just a lil' ol' flashlight."

lumenal

Enlightened
I've bought all the MagLED upgrade modules, 2,3 and 4 cell, and put them in new hosts. Each size has a different purpose ( I tell myself)!

The 2C Mag/ Magled makes a good nightstand light.

The 3D has the best tint, and is good for close walks around the house.

I like the 4D for walking a little further out, ( I live on 10 acres out in the sticks). It is a "warmer" tint than the 3D Mag. But the 4D would make a quick first defense against an agressive dog, or worse.:touche:

The weight, and feel, are fine with me.

Oh, and at the Wal*Mart near me, the 4D gray Maglites are on clearance for $15.00. It might be worth checking out.