Need advice

looseskr3wz

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a good light to go hiking in the dark New Jersey Pine Barrens with.

I want a light that I can carry on my belt...doesn't have to be too small.
I also want a light that will be able to scare off if not temporarily blind a (animal...person, whatever)

...cause I don't really know what is lurking in the barrens...seriously

I need the batteries to last as long as possible because once you start hiking in the barrens, you don't come out the same day.

But the most important part is being able to use it as a safety backup also (able to be very bright..if only for a short period of time.....Cause I don't want the Jersey Devil to get me.)

Willing to pay up to $130 cause that's what's left in my paypal.

:)

any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
This Link might help and have a look at my sigline link for Night Hikes :)

AnnnnD

WELCOME to CPF! Hope you stay a while :)

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the cheap (but still pretty functional) side, the SMJLED PR bulbs (sold by Trueblue and Lambda for from $5. to $10 each, depending of stock and sale) in a 2AA host makes a light weight, very long running and quite bright light for hiking. Even dollar store 2AA's work well for this. In a PT Flare 2AA light is provides an excellent, waterproof, wide flood light ideal for nighttime hiking ($7 plus shipping here).

If you need a blast of bright light for low cost, try one of Dae's 2xCR123 incandescents and run them off his RCR123 protected batteries with the appropriate 7.2 V bulb designed for the RCR batteries. Lights cost from $8.71 to $11.74 depending on model incl. shipping here. Protected RCR123's are $9.62 a pair shipped here. 7.2V bulbs for same are $5.90 for a pack of 10 here. Smart chargers for the batteries go from $7.56 to $9.36 incl shipping here.

You can always spend more, but you can get several sets of these for you and your friends at these prices.

carrot

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF! You'll not find a better group of people to help you spend your hard-earned cash.

:awman:, guys, just because the potential budget is $130 does not mean we have to spend all of it at once, do we?

I recommend the Fenix L2T from Fenix-Store.com

Long runtime, two selectable levels of output, and a little bit slimmer than a Maglite Mini 2AA. At $45 shipped, it won't break the bank either. Fenix-Store.com takes Paypal, too.

looseskr3wz

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
I recommend the Fenix L2T from Fenix-Store.com
Do you know if the light is adjustable...by this I mean like a maglight, where you can twist it to adjust the beam width.

I really appreciate everyones help.

:)

Thanks guys

carrot

Flashaholic
No. There are no LED flashlights I can think of that have an adjustable head. Nor do they need one. The beam is perfect, every time.

Actually, wait, Mag is making new LED flashlights... but thus far, they aren't up to snuff with the rest of the flashlight world in terms of beam quality or size/output ratio.

Adjustable focus is mostly overrated. Fenix flashlights, like most other LED flashlights, have perfectly focused reflectors out of the box, never needing to be refocused for various distances to eliminate donut holes or beam artifacts.

Last edited:

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2T is not adjustable. It has two Levels, 15Lm on low and 55Lm on High. The beam pattern is great. It has a nice hotspot with Great Spill. I also suggest the HDS B42XR These lights have Superb Spill and great Spot For Close to Medium DIstances. They are only $95.

greenLED

Flashaholic
looseskr3wz said:
Do you know if the light is adjustable...by this I mean like a maglight, where you can twist it to adjust the beam width.
Once you use fixed-focus and multiple-level lights, you'll think adjustable "focus" is sooo last century... :grin2:

Welcome to CPF!

How about an HDS light? Multiple settings, small, can use primaries or rechargeables...

Or, you can go all out with a bigger light and get a Pila GL3 (one of my favorite lights)

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you need to be more specific.
Do you want the light to be able to carry in a pocket or a lanyard or in a pouch on the belt?
How long do you want it to run?
What battery type are you looking for? Common available in stores or CR123 that you will have to mail order to get good prices? Or rechargeable?
For cheap and quick you could get one of the new MagLeds in a 2D, or better yet a 2C. Will last all night in case you get lost and plenty bright for out in the woods with no other lighting.
I would say also consider a headlamp too.
For the cash you have to spend you can get 2 or 3 good lights to cover multi purposes.

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
looseskr3wz said:
I want a light that I can carry on my belt...doesn't have to be too small.
I also want a light that will be able to scare off if not temporarily blind a (animal...person, whatever)

I need the batteries to last as long as possible because once you start hiking in the barrens, you don't come out the same day.

But the most important part is being able to use it as a safety backup also (able to be very bright..if only for a short period of time)....I don't really know what is lurking in the barrens...seriously.

Some long lasting lights:
Inova XO - new style runs 5.5 hours ~$50 spot with spill, but not a ton of throw (or "reach")
Inova X5 - 5.5 hours $34 at Target, wide floody beam, thrors less.
Inova T2 - 5.7 hours ~$45, same throw as the X0, but with less spill light, more of a spot with a little fall off light.
HDS EDC B42 - $95, you can run it at 10 lumens, enough for walking around, for over 8 hours, then press the button and hold for 42 lumens, enough to scare animals away. Even 2 lumens level is enough to walk around.
CPF special VB-16 - ~$65 (I think less now) Available from CPF member Wits End, it has many levels from REALLY low to plenty high. Bright spot with spill. Run it on low and it can last a long time like the HDS, but takes 2 cells for even longer run time and is brighter.

LedSled

Newly Enlightened
I often hike at night through mixed woods and pastures where I live. Since I bought my HDS U60XRGT, I rarely use anything else. The U60XRGT's are pretty much gone, but the U60's and U60GT's are still around. If your budget won't stretch, there are the Basic 42's and 60's.

The reason I suggest HDS is the multi-level output. Most of the time, I use low-level to preserve my eyes' dark-adaptation. Low-level translates to loooong runtimes, and there is still a fairly bright beam available.

It's not the only multi-level solution available, but is one of the most compact.

looseskr3wz

Newly Enlightened
Will a Fenix L2T outshine a mini-maglight?

Just curious...I'm new to this flashlight stuff....well, you know.

ColdLight

Newly Enlightened
A light could fail when you least expected while you're hiking at night. So divide your $130 budget for the main and backup lights. I recommend the HDS basic 42 ($95) for the main light and the Fenix L1P ($38) for the backup light. The cost + shipping is not too much over your budget.

mdbuckle

Newly Enlightened
looseskr3wz said:
Will a Fenix L2T outshine a mini-maglight?

Just curious...I'm new to this flashlight stuff....well, you know.

Yes it will! You won't even notice your maglight turned on. Absolutly no comparison!