Found Perfect CR2 LED Light for Nite-Ize IQ Switch! (Pictures Too)

bruner

Enlightened
Ok, yes I found a perfect CR2 LED light that can work with the Nite-Ize IQ Switch!

However, we need someone here at CPF to make an adapter ring for it.

Since the CR2 is a 3 volt battery, the IQ switch worked perfectly when I tested it.

So, here's a picture of the light and the IQ switch:
dsc05530op7.jpg

The light is from advancedmart. They call it "Chromed brass .5 Watt Pocket sized LED keychain flashlight". It's only about $11. Here's a link to thier product page:
http://store.advancedmart.com/chbr5waposil.html

I got my Nite-Ize IQ switch from lighthound here for about $10:
http://www.lighthound.com/sales/nite-ize_accessories_for_maglight_flashlights.htm

Here's an exploded view of the parts for size comparison:
dsc05533rv8.jpg

Here's what the finished product might look like:
dsc05536ml5.jpg

All it would take is a small addapter ring threaded for the IQ switch on the inside and threaded for the flashlight on the outside.

Can anyone do this for me?

I would be happy to send you both the flashlight and the IQ switch so that you have something to work off of. Of course, I would want them back, but would pay you for the ring...

Anyhow, I think if someone here can make the adapter rings, that there might be plenty of us here at CPF willing to buy them...

Hope this creates some interest.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for looking,
Dan

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
:popcorn:

bruner said:
Ok, yes I found a perfect CR2 LED light that can work with the Nite-Ize IQ Switch!

However, we need someone here at CPF to make an adapter ring for it.

Since the CR2 is a 3 volt battery, the IQ switch worked perfectly when I tested it.

So, here's a picture of the light and the IQ switch:
dsc05530op7.jpg

The light is from advancedmart. They call it "Chromed brass .5 Watt Pocket sized LED keychain flashlight". It's only about $11. Here's a link to thier product page:
http://store.advancedmart.com/chbr5waposil.html

I got my Nite-Ize IQ switch from lighthound here for about $10:
http://www.lighthound.com/sales/nite-ize_accessories_for_maglight_flashlights.htm

Here's an exploded view of the parts for size comparison:
dsc05533rv8.jpg

Here's what the finished product might look like:
dsc05536ml5.jpg

All it would take is a small addapter ring threaded for the IQ switch on the inside and threaded for the flashlight on the outside.

Can anyone do this for me?

I would be happy to send you both the flashlight and the IQ switch so that you have something to work off of. Of course, I would want them back, but would pay you for the ring...

Anyhow, I think if someone here can make the adapter rings, that there might be plenty of us here at CPF willing to buy them...

Hope this creates some interest.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for looking,
Dan

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
bruner said:
Thanks, but I'm really looking for a permanent solution.

Any machinists out there listening? :whistle:

Dan
Probably easiest to find a threaded rod with the OD thread to match the light since threading one after the other will be no fun at all. But of course, push comes to shove, you can thread your own rod too.
Put two nuts on the rod torqued together to hold the rod and protect the threads while you work on it.
Drill & tap the rod to the desired ID thread to match your switch.
Cut off a section to length, and while you are at it, tap it deep enough to sell some pieces to other members.

Of course, that depends on you finding a metal threaded rod with those particular threads, but you can look at on-line at places like aircraftspruce or onlinemetals.com. You will have to ID the threads first. Take it to a hardware store and start trying known bolts in it.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashlight said:
How about trying wrapping Teflon plumbing tape around the IQ's threads to fill up the gap? :D
I think it has to be metal to conduct current?

Otherwise I'd say to build up a plug of J-B weld or any other engine or metal repair epoxy and press & mold it in place while soft. coat your threads with teflon tape and or a seriously sticky lube to keep it from bonding to the threads. Once hard it will last forever. And you could run a wire across it to carry the current. maybe

bruner

Enlightened
Blindasabat,

You are correct in that whatever is used must be metal to conduct current.

I like your solution as well, but I just tested to see if the CR2 battery would be able to pass through the "adapter ring" (whatever it is made out of) and it won't.

Any adapter ring for this would have to be removable so that the CR2 batteries can be replaced.

Now, here's something interesting. I posted a link to this thread in the "materials/mechanical/machining" area of CPF and TranquillityBase offered a better solution.

He stated something along these lines:
"you can drill and tap the stock tailcap of the CR2 light to accept the IQ switch".

I had been thinking that perhaps a good solution would be to sacrifice a MAG body that is already drilled and tapped for the IQ switch, which could then have threads cut on the exterior surface that would fit into the CR2 light.

I like TranquillityBase's idea better.

Still, I have no way of accomplishing this myself. If anyone thinks they can pull it off, I'd be interested in hearing from you.

As well as any other thoughts on this subject.

Thanks,
Dan

greenLED

Flashaholic
Just judging from the pics, it looks like you can drop the IQ switch into that body without the threads touching at all. In that case, no amount of rethreading would help.

Can you *carefully* wrap some aluminum foil around the IQ and use that "plug" to keep the IQ in place. *Careful* with causing a short, though!

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
Just judging from the pics, it looks like you can drop the IQ switch into that body without the threads touching at all. In that case, no amount of rethreading would help.

I think he meant tap the stock tail cap to accept the IQ. ..Use the tailcap housing as an adapter.

greenLED said:
Can you *carefully* wrap some aluminum foil around the IQ and use that "plug" to keep the IQ in place. *Careful* with causing a short, though!
:grin2: yeah, kinda like conductive clay.

My earlier options were something I thought you can do yourself with minimal fuss. You only need a drill and a hand tap to make an adapter out of threaded rod with the method I described. If you do it right, the molded epoxy will be removeable because you can unthread it. Then wrap that in AL foil like GreenLED said.

I'm just having fun throwing ideas out there and reading everybody else's. Whatever you decide to do, just let us see the result...:)

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the light and switch use standard thread size's, then maybe you could use a thread repair kit (heli coil) to build it up.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
DUQ said:
If the light and switch use standard thread size's, then maybe you could use a thread repair kit (heli coil) to build it up.

The heli coil could work but only if the threads have the same pitch. And you will have to take the heli coil out to change the battery. Check the heli coil charts to determine if the two threads are covered.

BTW, SS wire can be used too if it is wrapped on a mandrel to make a coil just smaller than the threads on the IQ. The real trick here is to determine the wire size needed.

Cheers
Dave

bruner

Enlightened
PhotonFanatic said:
Just out of curiosity, what is the diameter of the threaded stock tailcap threads, and what is the diameter of the IQ threads?

I couldn't find my callipers, but your question prompted me to take a closer look.

I now have serious doubts about being able to get or make an adapter ring... :awman:

There is just so very little space between the OD of the IQ switch threads and ID of the CR2 light's threads.

My wife's fater is a machinist, but they live far enough away that we don't see them very often. Next time I see him I'll get his thoughts on the idea and if anything works out, I'll be sure to post about it.

Dan