Free PC DVD decodere software?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is anybody aware of any free PC DVD decoder software? I just want to be able to view DVDs on windows media player on an XP machine that doesn't have any other video software. Whenever I try to do so, a message comes up saying no DVD decoder found. Upon clicking the web help button, it only leads me to sites that offer pay programs. I would think there would be a free simple software/codec for that but I am unable to find any just yet.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need the decoder codecs and a player. Try K-Lite Codec Pack. Comes with all the stuff plus a player. It's not part of the file sharing stuff, don't worry.

Mad1

Enlightened

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Windows used to (Win2K) come with a basic player built in. Punch "dvdplay" into the Run box and see if you have it. Still need the codecs, though.

carrot

Flashaholic
It is fairly difficult to find a (legal) free DVD decoder, since the decryption of CSS needs to be licensed... and licenses cost money.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
When XP first launched in 2001, WMP linked to four pay codecs, all the same price. There are more available now, and virtually every retail-boxed DVD burner comes with PowerDVD, WinDVD, or Cineplayer--or the OEM software is available for about $10. If you have the right video card, you can also download the free ATI or Nvidia ones. Installing any of these will install the proper codecs for playing DVDs in WMP.

Or you could try installing a free demo version and see if the codecs stay after it expires...

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
As bfg9000 mentioned, just about every retail boxed CD/DVD ROM drive and DVD-RW drive comes with a bulk version of either WinDVD or PowerDVD. Unfortunately sometimes those either carry activation codes or may be keyed specifically to the firmware on the drive. It's worth a try if you have a friend or acquaintance who has recently purchased one.

Better yet, if you know someone who has purchased one of the "OEM" bulk versions that are often sold at computer flea markets or from Asian immigrant computer merchants, they may come with an unkeyed generic version of one of the software DVD players that can be installed for any drive. If you're willing to pay for it, I think that CD is available from both Newegg and Zipzoomfly (can't remember if they require the purchase of a drive.

geepondy said:
Is anybody aware of any free PC DVD decoder software?