Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to SEARCH CPF?

Default Re: How to SEARCH CPF?

Thanks for the information

So, seems not attractive

Quote Originally Posted by Sigman View Post
    4. "Google Search CPF link"- click on this link and bookmark page to be used again.
    Why does using this link give fewer, more precise links to both CPF & CPFMKT than using the top of every page google search (with cpf only checked)? For example, using Sigman's link gives:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...00&btnG=Search

and top box gives:

http://www.google.com/search?q=fivem...owerforums.com

Is it correct to assume the box on top only searches CPF & not any links at Marketplace? It would be a better option since the split to include both website URL's in the google search box (since the resources 'hit' is on google anyway), which Sigman's #4 seems to do, but with less results.

I get the damn "fatal error" every time I try to click on thread with more than 90 or so posts. So it's not a redundant question. How do I fix this? I don't get this error when using the search function. But only in topics with 90+/- posts or above. I get this error with any browser I choose to use: be it Firefox or IE.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Outdoors Fanatic; 10-30-2007 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoors Fanatic View Post
    I get the damn "fatal error" every time I try to click on thread with more than 90 or so posts. So it's not a redundant question. How do I fix this? I don't get this error when using the search function. But only in topics with 90+/- posts or above. I get this error with any browser I choose to use: be it Firefox or IE.

Thanks in advance.
    Reset the number of posts to display per page to 40 or fewer.

Super Moderator

The following may also help:

1. The “fatal error” message can be caused by searching for a very frequently used word. For example, if you put Surefire M3T in the search-box, you will get the fatal error because Surefire is mentioned in a gazillion threads here. But if you just put in M3T, you will get a result.

2. Some items you may want to search for may have only 2 letters, such as A2, M6, 6P, X5 etc. All you have to do is add the asterisk wildcard (A2*, M6*, 6P*, X5* etc). This makes the word 3 letters and the search will work.
    Resistance is futile...

Flashaholic*

Some times if we do a search and try to post link the link will usually be http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/search.php ?searchid=2864982 where searchid will expire after a few moments.

If you want to post CPF search links you may build following URL

"http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/search.php ?q=search+term &do=process" without the spaces in between and quotes at ends. this will always work also note that search term has to be URL encoded simply replace space with a + sign or %20 ... of course replace search term with some thing meaningful such as http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/search.php?q=Titan&do=process .... this link will list all threads with Titan as keyword and it will not expire ...

Hope this helps
    Last edited by ViReN; 10-31-2007 at 12:48 PM.

Viren,
    The whole idea of the cached search is to reduced the load on the system.
    Imagine everyone clicking on that link and each time a search index is
    created.

Flashaholic*

yes I agree, but some times there are times when a person visits the thread after the id has expired and might want know again which terms were used specifically.

In some of the threads Sigman had posted good search terms, but then the index gets lost in little under an hours time....

Thinking out of the box, I have found that with just a little work and discipline on my part I can have all the info I need and save the burden on the search engines at the same time.

This is what I do, after opening CPF I open WORD and call up my CPF links DOC. With CPF and Word in the bottom TASK bar I can switch back and forth with just one click. Now if I see a post that sparks my interest I just COPY the URL in the Address bar at the top of the page and paste it in WORD, Copy the title and paste it above the URL. I am currently on page 4 with links in little sub groups such as Mods, Batteries, Z-57 Fixes/Problems.

Having the exact URL saves me much time and even if the post drops down to the archives you will always have it on hand.

Below is just a sample of how my CPF link.DOC looks……..just remember to hit SAVE before closing WORD.

CPF search

How to SEARCH CPF
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=127532

Listing lights in your .sig
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ad.php?t=13942

Can't search for short words anymore?!? (problem with "search forum")
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=110495

Braddah_Bill
    Last edited by Braddah_Bill; 01-22-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Unenlightened

Hi, there so i have two or "2" questions here:

#1: Do i always have to answer random question before i post massage?

#2: How do i create new thread for my questions?

someone said something about an E0 cree mod, i want ti look for it, but the search engine doesnt allow stuff smaller then 3 characters....

yes i tried the * method

Crenshaw

Administrator

Tried this?

or this?

Flashaholic*

Is there a way to make Google search the newest threads first? Most of the time when I used Google to search for a recent thread it always pulls up very old threads at random.
    -Will-

Sorry, I have retired from flashlight modding & I do not make custom flashlights. Thank you for your understanding.

My Mod Archive

Quote Originally Posted by darkzero View Post
    Is there a way to make Google search the newest threads first? Most of the time when I used Google to search for a recent thread it always pulls up very old threads at random.
    Google's Advanced Operator List has no entry for DATE, so I don't know how you could use CPF's Google form to bring them up that way.

On the other hand, if you go directly to the Google Advanced Search page and click on the link about half way down that says: "Date, usage rights, numeric range, and more," you'll get a page with more option fields. Under DATE you can chose to only return results from 24 hrs, 1 week, etc.

I don't think this will order the results but it will not return any outside the range you specify.

Be sure to fill in the "site or domain" field with: candlepowerforums.com

If you try a search like this notice that your result page will include another option box that will let you easily select a date range different than your original search without any hassle.
    Last edited by Sub_Umbra; 05-16-2008 at 01:01 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ouchmyfinger View Post
    the new 'google search' at the top of every page of CPF is awesome! thanks whoever did that.
    yes, very perfect!

Enlightened

Flashaholic

Indexing appears to be acting up, following the recent FEB-012009 maintenance :

<< Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
    1. The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : surefire >>
    __philippe

Nothing wrong with the indexing. Read the error message very closely... your answer (and solution) are very clear...

Flashaholic

I am a bit perplexed...

Looks a bit odd for a search query to reject the "surefire" string on the ground of being "very common", while a search on "liteflux" is perfectly processed, for instance...

(can't be on the "too long" criteria, both string are exactly 8 character long)

What's the logic behind the search ?.. inquiring mind wants to know...

cheers,

__philippe

How many incidences of "Surefire" do you figure there might be posted in 2,798,678 posts in 210,310 threads in 1.94 GB of text in the CPF database? My guess is the only word that might top it is "the"...

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    How many incidences of "Surefire" do you figure there might be posted in 2,798,678 posts in 210,310 threads in 1.94 GB of text in the CPF database? My guess is the only word that might top it is "the"...
    Searching for "Surefire" in the Google search bar worked for me .

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DedEye View Post
    Searching for "Surefire" in the Google search bar worked for me .
    It isn't blocked in the Google search. Only the CPF VB search.

Flashaholic

Still a trifle ironic the built-in VB search function includes "surefire" in its stop-word list, while search strings equally statistically likely, such as "lights" or "fenix" are not included ...

Cheers,

__philippe
    Last edited by __philippe; 02-08-2009 at 02:49 AM.

You can search yahoo and Google.

Aside from the previously mentioned uses of the word surefire on cpf there are also all of the instances of it which occur in signatures.
    Last edited by Sub_Umbra; 06-02-2009 at 08:48 AM.

I recommend crossing your eyes then smashing yourself repeatedly in the face with a hammer while setting yourself on fire.
    It is almost as effective as the search function while gifting you with the added benefit of quickly forgetting whatever it was you were searching for as it's hardly important anymore at that point.

Good work.

Even if a Google search, I research vBulletin research would like to debate the two characters. Because she is that "words" that a less than A2, 6P, and the other thing, can not be used. VBulletin or a target areas, the CPF on the structure to search for more, with a Google search in contrast to the PCF.

Flashaholic

Default Logical Operators?

Are there some sort of logical operators that can be used between words in the advanced search? Is there a FAQ somewhere to explain these?

For example, if I want to return only posts that contain all of three words, how do I input this?
    Last edited by funkychateau; 10-12-2009 at 03:12 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast