Malkoff        
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to SEARCH CPF?

Default Re: Logical Operators?

You can search the FAQ here.

Logical searches aren't possible in vBulletin. You can search for phrases, single words, or multiple words, all filtered by member or forum filters.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Empath View Post
    You can search the FAQ here.

Logical searches aren't possible in vBulletin. You can search for phrases, single words, or multiple words, all filtered by member or forum filters.
    I've read the search description in the FAQ, and it doesn't address how to do that.

For example, if I want to find only those posts containing BOTH of the words "unprotected" and "18650", how would I enter that into the search string? Putting the two words in without any other notation seems to return all posts containing EITHER of them

That's why I said "logical searches aren't possible in vBulletin."

You can do all the logical searches you want, as long as the operand is 'OR'.

Default Re: How to SEARCH CPF?

Whenever I try the search within this thread option I NEVER get any results! NEVER! Like I just searched the Budget Lights Thread in the LED Forum for Romisen RC-T6 and got No Results. I even tried just plain t6 and again nothing...not to mention the aggravating 30 seconds between searches.

What is the trick to searching all the pages of a single thread????

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    What is the trick to searching all the pages of a single thread????
    The most effective way that I found to search a single thread is to open the page, use Ctrl-f and type in my search criteria. Each page can be searched very quickly.

Keywords, keywords, keywords.......... If you're not using the right ones, you will never find what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
    The most effective way that I found to search a single thread is to open the page, use Ctrl-f and type in my search criteria. Each page can be searched very quickly.

Keywords, keywords, keywords.......... If you're not using the right ones, you will never find what you're looking for.
    Now I just did a search within thread of budget flashlights thread. It has too many pages to efficiently rely on cntrl - f. I searched MC-E. Now "MC-E" is used many, many times in that thread. I don't get what I'm doing wrong. Does the search within thread function work at all?

You can adjust the number of posts displayed per page in you control panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    You can adjust the number of posts displayed per page in you control panel.

My problem isn't too many hits -it's too few. I searched MC-E within the budget flashlight thread and didn't get one hit

Quote Originally Posted by Empath View Post
    That's why I said "logical searches aren't possible in vBulletin."

You can do all the logical searches you want, as long as the operand is 'OR'.
    Is there a way to change the operand to AND in the software configuration? That would be a lot more useful. I somehow thought that it was AND in the past and must have changed recently, but I guess it hasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    Is there a way to change the operand to AND in the software configuration? That would be a lot more useful. I somehow thought that it was AND in the past and must have changed recently, but I guess it hasn't.
    Nope.

Flashaholic

I have tried to search for the following phrase:
    "wall mount"
    including the quotation marks on purpose, as I hoped it would search for "wall mount", not only "wall" OR "mount".
    Strangely I got the following error message:
    The search term you specified ("wall*mount") is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found.
    I'm puzzled here: how come I got this message since both words are more than 3 characters?

If not satisfied with CPF search, then try google, cpf only, at the top of every CPF, or CPFMP page.

Bill

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    try google, cpf only
    I've used it before, but AFAIK it doesn't allow e.g. to search within a specific forum, or to search by user, a.s.o.

Default How to SEARCH CPF

How do you define a search to retrieve all read and unread posts for the last 7 days?

Tom

Default Re: How to SEARCH CPF

Quote Originally Posted by walterharris View Post
    How do you define a search to retrieve all read and unread posts for the last 7 days?

Tom
    Put your terms into the Google search box on a cpf page and hit enter. When the 'results page' comes up, click on the 'Advanced search' link. Halfway down the Advanced search page find the 'Date:' field and change it from 'Anytime' to 'past week'.

Only results from the last week will be served.

Tom
    I was noodling around and wrote a Keyword Bookmark search hack for cpf posts less than a week old. It searches the exact same way as the method I outlined in the post below but it is very much automated. It might be useful to those doing the same type of search over and over. It should work in most browsers.
    [code]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sitesearch=www.candlepowerforums.com& as_q=%s
    &as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&tbs=&num=100&lr=&as_filetyp e=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=
    w&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe= images[/code]To use it just make a bookmark using the code above as the url. Add a meaningful string to the Keyword field of the bookmark's properties and you're good to go.

For a concise overview of custom Keywords see site linked below:

http://www-archive.mozilla.org/docs/.../keywords.html
    Last edited by Sub_Umbra; 07-11-2011 at 11:45 AM.

I just searched wallmount on Google/CPF and the first page contained eight hits.

Brightnorm

Tom
    Try this link for the marketplace and this link for CPF proper.

Save as bookmarks.

- Syncytial.
    Last edited by syncytial; 07-13-2011 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Both links

Unenlightened

There are operators like

"" - advanced search
    - omits the word
    ~ searches for related words
    OR searches with or condition

and many other like inbody:, intitle:, inURL:

I have moved this stickied thread from the /Homemade-Modified Flashlights Discussion/ subforum to /Questions-Problems-Suggestions/, where it appears to be a good complement to to the existing "How-To" 'stickies'.
    - Kestrel
    Last edited by Kestrel; 11-09-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Unhappy Re: How to SEARCH CPF?

Does the simple search function not work from iPhones or iPads? I have read this section and cannot find out why I always get sent to an advanced search. But even then I get no hits no matter how or what I search for. Or is that I am just new and not allowed to search?

Obone, get your three approved posts in and things will be better. This post of yours does not count.

Bill

Unenlightened

Great info hopefully with this third post I can actually perform a search! I have a funny feeling though that this won't be an approved post...

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatichunter View Post
    Great info hopefully with this third post I can actually perform a search! I have a funny feeling though that this won't be an approved post...
    This post does not count as the banner at the top of the page states "• Posts made in this forum do NOT go toward your postcount!"
    Last edited by Norm; 03-19-2014 at 10:08 PM.

Recently I tried using the search/advanced search function and found them virtually useless. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but I now Google site:candlepowerforums.com instead. I was surprised because the CPF search function used to be so useful and wonder why it was changed.

Brightnorm

Quote Originally Posted by brightnorm View Post
    I was surprised because the CPF search function used to be so useful and wonder why it was changed.

Brightnorm
    Not in the 7+ years I have been here. hahaha. Always used the Google bar.

Quote Originally Posted by brightnorm View Post
    Recently I tried using the search/advanced search function and found them virtually useless. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but I now Google site:candlepowerforums.com instead. I was surprised because the CPF search function used to be so useful and wonder why it was changed.

Brightnorm
    At this time, if you type in the search box at the top right of the page, it *IS* the google search. So I'm not real sure how you were searching. The vBulletin search has ALWAYS been shite... that's why I've always provided another alternative.

Hi Greta,

Whenever I try using that search box it keeps "loading" for minutes; that's why I stopped using it. Perhaps it's some idiosyncrasy of my computer.

BN

Google works for me, even on my iPhone 6.

Bill

Unenlightened

this sticky is great idea

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast