HID bike light w/li-ion pack for $200

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the Helmet Light set without the batteries since I already have a 8400mah 14.8V Lipoly pack.

The first light that I received died suddenly without warning after only about 15 minutes of continuous use, when it actually got so hot that it was almost burning. :ohgeez: I received a replacement from Batteryspace, but since then, have only dared to use it for a max of about 10 minutes continuous as the light gets really hot, and I'm afraid that it would die like the first one.

Unless you have continuous air flow around it at all times, I would highly discourage you from buying this as I believe that the design is flawed, and the head really doesn't have enough mass to draw away and dissipate the heat generated by the WA HID lamp. BTW, I don't believe that this thing actually has a thermal switch as specified in the link above since my first one died without warning after it basically over-heated.

cy

Flashaholic
thanks for the feedback.

looks like this is a no go...

havand

Enlightened
ledaholic said:
I had 2 of the MR11's on my motorcycle. After 4 short lived lamp assemblys, I gave up.

Interested in selling any of that leftover hardware??

ledaholic

Enlightened
I used 1 of the ballasts in a conversion I did to a hand held spotlight using the other type of W/A bulb. I put a couple of LUX5's on large chunks of aluminum and fitted them in the MR11 housings with a couple of turned down MCR38's and put them back on the bike. I have 1 leftover ballast that I'll keep as a spare. Sorry

Bob

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
gregw said:
I bought the Helmet Light set without the batteries since I already have a 8400mah 14.8V Lipoly pack.

The first light that I received died suddenly without warning after only about 15 minutes of continuous use, when it actually got so hot that it was almost burning.

Those lights are supplied with 11.1V battery packs. Perhaps 14.8V is too high for it.

I use mine with the 11.1V pack that came with it and it does not get unduly hot.

Last edited: