experiments with square white LED's

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
experiments with square white LED\'s

Hi Folks,

I've been meaning to play with some of the square "spider" type led's. I was disappointed to see that lumileds doesn't appear to make a white one! But Vishay (I think) does. It's not listed as a very bright one, but it comes in the same package. I ordered them from Newark, stock no. 07C1058. I knew they were going to be dim, but a bank of 10 of them does still produce a nice area light. The viewing angle was said to be 30 degrees, but I think it has got to be higher than that. It's a very wide flood light and easily lights a whole room in the dark.

cube1.jpg

This has the 10 led cubes wired in parallel to 3 AAA batteries. This is direct drive, no resistance at all. I used a 4 AAA cube holder from radio shack and mounted the switch in the 4th unused section.

The metal pieces are brass plates that I soldered directly to the negative terminals along the outside of the array as a heat sink. They need to be filed down a little as they are rather sharp. They are outside the beam, so although they look like an attempt to be a reflector, they don't do anything for the beam. I could have bent them the other way, but I didn't want them to get in the way of the batteries.

As I said the light output is not great. It's very similar however to the output of the colman CCFT lantern that I wrote about a couple of weeks ago. The color is warmer though. Here are some shots of it on.

cube2.jpg

cube3.jpg

The blue color in the pictures is deceiving. The light actually has very good color, it's not what I would consider warm, but it does not have the obvious blue of many of my purchased led lights. The output of each one also has a green tinge around the edges as if it were a mini-luxeon. It's not pronounced except for the fact that it reflects through the housing of the LED.

I measure the entire array pulling 400ma, so 40ma a piece. The other interesting thing is that there is no problem running these in parallel, they seem to be very uniform in their output and color.

So, banks of these wont be replacing your luxeons at any time, but for $1.02 a piece from Newark they are inexpensive and easy to build arrays of. Just don't expect them to blind you.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re: experiments with square white LED\'s

very nice! it looks stylish.

i'll bet if you strapped it to your head, it would make a great headlight!

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

$1.02 per piece? 10 pieces = $10.20 . 1 LS from dat2zip's sandwich store is $11. Somehow I would take the LS instead? Less area used...

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

I thought about making it into a headlamp. I'll have to experiment with some straps or something. If I just hold it to my head the flood is excellent because it's so wide. very good for reading or closeup work.

Thanks

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

These LED's sound like they'd be ideal for building a "tent light".

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nerd, yes you will get more light in less area with a luxeon and the price is right.

However, even on dim batteries these don't go green
wink.gif

What can I say, it was just a bit of fun!

I actually like it a lot. Played with it quite a bit last night and I really like the light color coming from them. It really is as bright as the coleman light. But they absolutely won't give lumileds a run for their money.

For some kind of backlight application these might be perfect, but their application in flashlights is very limited. For the amount of power I'm putting through them (40ma) even a regular 5mm white LED will out do them. But at nearly double the cost. I'm sure there are other applications where a the form factor could be valuable though.

I could make a nice bright and tiny lamp out of them if it just didn't need to have batteries in there somehow
smile.gif

Hemingray

Enlightened

I ginned up an AC powered hallway light this weekend, nine cyan Lumiled Hi Flux "spiders"
in series. The AC circuit consists of a 2.2 uF 250 VAC cap in series with one line, and a 1/4 A micro fuse in the other, these go to the ~ (AC) connections on a small 600V 1A full wave bridge
rectifier. The + and - get a 47 uF, 50 VDC electrolytic and a 39-47 V MOV across them, and the DC then feeds the 9 LEDs in series.

I happened to have a defunct small fluorescent
plug in light, so I opened it and disembowelled
the original "guts" and put in my LED circuit.
Nice and bright (brighter than the original was)
and nicely packaged. As a bonus, the original fluorescent board yielded a nice 2.4 uF 250 VAC
capacitor, and 2 110 Ohm 1W resistors.

Under normal operation, the MOV doesn't do anything, as the string of LEDs has about a 33V
drop. It is necessary to protect the LEDs from any surges or "spikes". And, with these capacitor input AC circuits, do not use them on a light dimmer circuit, as the high frequency
component that they generate will decrease the reactance of the input cap and will cook the rest of the circuit in short order. The reactance of the 2.2 uF cap at 60 Hz is about
1200 ohms Xc. I am pulling 40 to 50 mA thru the "spiders", they do get warm but not hot.

/ed brown in cool blue (or cyan) NH