Question about my Surefire L1

afultz075

Newly Enlightened
I just got my L1, and I noticed that the spring at the bottom of the tube is off-center a bit. Is it alright that it's like that? Also, Whenever I turn the light on the springs make this creaking sound. I put the tailcap from my L2 on the light and it didn't seem to be as bad. Is this just a break-in thing?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/afultz075/Picture183.jpg

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Yes, it is too large. (640 x 480 pixels max)

The grinding noise you hear is the sharp edge of the spring rubbing on the bottom of the cell. If you have a small file (or a piece of sandpaper), smooth the edge of the spring a little - that'll help.

afultz075

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I just tried the tailcap of the L1 on my L2 and it doesn't seem to make the noise when it's on the L2.

Also, picture of the off=center spring is just linked to my photobucket now.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Size15's said:
the sharpness helps make better contact.
...by scratching new material every time you twist the switch. Hadn't thought about that. I always smooth the springs when they're too bad. I haven't had to do it on my SF lights, though.

afultz075

Newly Enlightened
I tried a different SF battery and it doesn't seem to be as bad. Now, what about the lower spring being off-center?

Size15's

Flashaholic
As long as the contact isn't gonna make contact with a part of the flashlight or battery that it shouldn't it shouldn't be a problem.

afultz075

Newly Enlightened
Well, I was using the light outside a bit earlier in the night and the more I use it the less it seems to make the grinding sound while turning. Probably had to do with being brand spanking new.

Bogie

Enlightened
The front Batt + Spring on both my L1 & L2 look just like the photo shown above I have had no issue so far 2+ years on the L2 & 1+ on the L1

x2x3x2

Banned
@Size15's
Are u sure sharp ends of springs help make better contact?
To my understanding sharp point have less surface area contact, dull points have more surface area contact.
Same concept as to why pressing the pointed end of a needle on ur skin hurts while the eye end doesnt.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2x3x2 said:
@Size15's
Are u sure sharp ends of springs help make better contact?
To my understanding sharp point have less surface area contact, dull points have more surface area contact.
Same concept as to why pressing the pointed end of a needle on ur skin hurts while the eye end doesnt.

Sharp ends do make better contact. The probes on a multimeter are very pointed for this reason. If you had to move more current you'd want more surface area, but I'm pretty sure for a flashlight the pointed edge of the spring would be fine.

x2x3x2

Banned
Probes on mm are pointed to be precise as to take contact points on cluttered pcb and such, so as to not short closely placed points/leads. Not better contact.

Last edited:

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2x3x2 said:
Probes on mm are pointed to be precise as to take contact points on cluttered pcb and such, so as to not short closely placed points/leads. Not better contact.

I guess you don't use your DMM like I do. I'm an HVAC tech, and I often scrape my probe to ground to ensure good contact. Why do I have good contact? Because the tip is sharp...

x2x3x2

Banned
What's a HVAC tech?
Anyway, the reason y u get better contacts when u do that may be cos with sharp probes u need apply less pressure on the points compared to a blunt surface.
That in turn may be cos your leads or probes have come oxidation or dirt on them which cause bad contact or resistance.

In this case, the environment of the battery tailcap i would hardly expect any oxidation to form on the springs thus not much pressure is reguired to compensate like on dirty contact surfaces.

That's y springs are shaped in spiral form isn't it? When its compressed, at least 1 coil of the springs totally touches the battery if not more.
Wouldn't they have made some sort of 90 degree bend pointing at the battery at the end of the spring in contact with the battery if wat u say is so?

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not saying that a large contact area is a bad thing. However, a sharper edge does encourage better contact. For example, my Inova X5 will sometimes flicker or not even turn on. The reason is bad contact at the switch despite the fact that the contact area is the entire perimeter of the tailcap. However, if there were some raised areas or points, these would "scrape" the contaminants into the recessed areas and I wouldn't have that problem.

HVAC = Heating, ventillation and air conditioning. I troubleshoot systems including normal residential systems, zoning systems, geothermal and refrigeration.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll see another great danger.
The sharp end of the spring can damage the -pole of the batterie, if you'll use always the same RCR's over the time.

Best regards

____
Tom

afultz075

Newly Enlightened
I replaced the SF battery it came with with another one and now it's not making the scraping sound. I'm not feeling near as much drag when I twist the tailcap like it did when I had the original SF battery in it.