Sweet lookin' ProPoly

Danintex

Enlightened
Ok so my cousin is headed to the Dominican Republic for a 6-month mission trip and she needs well made, long running, decently throwing torch. I finally ended up with a SL 4AA ProPoly and a PT Apex. She got back a few days ago and in the course of things we got around to the lights. "Oh yeah, they were great, in fact, I only had to put one set of batts in them the entire time!" I thought that was weird, so I asked to see the SL and this is what I found:
100_5583.jpg

100_5586.jpg

100_5584.jpg

I checked the voltage on the batts and none read lower than 1.17v. I hope Streamlight warranties it!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure I understand where the Streamlight warranty enters into this. Did the flashlight stop working?

Danintex said:
I checked the voltage on the batts and none read lower than 1.17v. I hope Streamlight warranties it!

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mixed battery types... and you beat the hell out of it and it still works. What's the problem? Looks like Streamlight is doing pretty good.

Newuser01

Enlightened
From what it sounds like!! Its still working fine other than the fact that it looks like poop now!! WHAT A BEAUTY?

I think that he would like to send it back and have the body and bazel replaced..... I dont think that would be problem. Seems to me its just being used.........used.........used.

Newbie.:grin2:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the warranty covers abuse or normal wear and tear, but I'm sure they could provide him with a new body and bezel for a relatively low cost. Should the body cost too much, they just go an buy one of the incandescents for the body, he'll still need to buy the bezel.

If it's working and the lens isn't broken, quite frankly I'd just leave it alone and re-charge the batteries.

I should however explain that I'm one of those people who feels a bit out of place if I have a flashlight that looks brand new without a scratch on it. As a matter of fact, if there isn't a little metal showing through the anodizing from wear (not just battle scars,) I feel a bit conspicuious. :)

Newuser01 said:
From what it sounds like!! Its still working fine other than the fact that it looks like poop now!! WHAT A BEAUTY?

I think that he would like to send it back and have the body and bazel replaced..... I dont think that would be problem. Seems to me its just being used.........used.........used.

Newbie.:grin2:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't understand why nobody can see the valid warranty claim in this. A surefire would come back without a scratch.

Streamlight is clearly crap!

-Goatee

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the user used a lot of wipe-on bug repellant (I took the paint off a pencil with that stuff once - just holding the pencil in my hand) or had their hands all over some skin that had fresh bug spray on it...

LiteFan

Enlightened
Blindasabat said:
Looks like the user used a lot of wipe-on bug repellant (I took the paint off a pencil with that stuff once - just holding the pencil in my hand) or had their hands all over some skin that had fresh bug spray on it...

I agree spraying off insect repellant distorted/clouded the lens of my Timex Ironman.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess you haven't seen a Sure Fire that has truely been used? I don't mean just taken out of a drawer or a case and occasionally having the button pushed, but actually used in normal day-to-day work activities, or one that has just sat in the holster of a duty belt for a while. I think you'd be surprised.

:)> said:
I can't understand why nobody can see the valid warranty claim in this. A surefire would come back without a scratch.

Streamlight is clearly crap!

-Goatee

aceo07

Enlightened
Blindasabat said:

Did it have deet? That stuff is NOT nice to anything it touches. A couple of years back, someone got over zealous and sprayed it onto a tent. Later that night, the tent has areas where it looked semi-melted. :thumbsdow

Don't buy 100% deet if you want to spray on skin. Read the warnings!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Gee Danintex, next time send her out with your McLux 27LT. Can't wait for pictures.

Bill

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blindasabat said:

I melted my issued rain gear the same way.

lukus

Enlightened
So Danintex, surely your cousin told you what happened to the light. Which is it, tent peg mallet, or carried in the same pocket as the bug repellent?

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
Get the story from your cousin and send it with the pictures to Streamlight. It'd make a great testimonial for Streamlight's web page, telling what the light went through and survived. It might also help them to know what ate up the plastic like that so they can maybe adjust the formulation to help prevent the same thing from happening to other people's lights.

Danintex

Enlightened
Thanks for the comments guys, I didn't even think about the bug spray- she did say it was everywhere. There's sposed to be malaria-carrying 'skeeters there so they would spray it on every morning and all day. Don't get me wrong-I'm very pleased with the light, but I was hoping they would take a look and maybe fix me up with a new body. Not me, the light. :grin2: I'm getting her something more worthy anyway. It would blink every time you turned it on, maybe due to the low voltage? I thought about a McLux but if it got lost I might never sleep again. This is definitely headed to the testimonial department!
Dan

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Oh my GOD, don't give her a McLux, she'll use it as a hammer. Only after she has joined CPF, and been a member for one year should she be allowed to use a McLux.

Bill

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given the relative low cost of the light from places like Fox, it's probably not even worth getting the parts to replace the body. You might be better off just ordering a light and the maybe you could find a buyer for the lamp module from the original light (tell 'em you'll give 'em the ragged body for a shipping container :) ).

Danintex said:
Thanks for the comments guys, I didn't even think about the bug spray- she did say it was everywhere. There's sposed to be malaria-carrying 'skeeters there so they would spray it on every morning and all day. Don't get me wrong-I'm very pleased with the light, but I was hoping they would take a look and maybe fix me up with a new body. Not me, the light. :grin2: I'm getting her something more worthy anyway. It would blink every time you turned it on, maybe due to the low voltage? I thought about a McLux but if it got lost I might never sleep again. This is definitely headed to the testimonial department!
Dan

Latest posts