eos pic request

TimeConstant

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone take a few photos of an eos in action? I'm in the market for a headlamp that will get me back to the truck if i'm a few hours late comming back from the trail.

Thank you

TC

fishx65

Enlightened
I would check out the dorcy super 1 watt headlamp. I have the EOS and the dorcy. The dorcy is just as bright with better spill and I've seen it for $14.99. Lowes has it for 19.99. I think the dorcy would be much better for getting out of the woods.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
get an eos and mod it with a 17mm reflector and a SXOH...

sorry though.... don't really have pics... princeton tec quality > dorcy

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
I'm totally impressed withi the EOS 9I have 3, and have modded one)

Based on your comments, I may have to check out that dorcy hl..

fishx65

Enlightened
The dorcy is not as compact and the quality is not as good but the tint, spill and throw are fantastic. I also doubt that the dorcy is regulated. The reason I use it the most is because it's so easy to turn on and off while hunting and fishing. It only has one mode and it's about the same as the EOS on high. Jar3ds mod sounds like it would make the EOS a perfect hiking light.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
fishx65 said:
The dorcy is not as compact and the quality is not as good but the tint, spill and throw are fantastic. I also doubt that the dorcy is regulated. The reason I use it the most is because it's so easy to turn on and off while hunting and fishing. It only has one mode and it's about the same as the EOS on high. Jar3ds mod sounds like it would make the EOS a perfect hiking light.
the 17mm reflector puts out crazy flood/spill... you can use a mild diffuser from lighthound (HDS section) and it will clean out the beam so its perfect...

I personally don't use it anymore though because I dont' mind the beam imperfections and I'm sure I get more output without the diffuser

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where can you get the Dorcy Headlamp for $15? If it is as good as you say it is it will be a great backup to my modded EOS.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds said:
get an eos and mod it with a 17mm reflector and a SXOH...

sorry though.... don't really have pics... princeton tec quality > dorcy

Agreed, PT quality and engineering blows Dorcy away.

The SX0H and 17mm reflector is a good combo.

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
Yep. I am wearing mine right now and just installed a mild diffuser. I say the difference is subtle but noticeable and better. No hard change from spot to the flood areas. Niiice and smooth. :)

Thanks for the pioneering work Jar3ds! :thumbsup:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
happy to help... a lot of people have helped me with the early days of my headlamp/EOS life...

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Just got the EOS from Basegear.com - $27.95 plus $4.95 shipping (usps priority mail).
If you're feeling spendy, they have a list of things that they offer free shipping with, which includes the Petzl Tikka XP & the Tactikka XP, and anything else you order with it will also get free shipping.

I think the EOS is on sale for a limited time.

Anyways, they were really responsive in emails, and I ordered it Tuesday, and got it early today in Chicago - now that's fast!

john

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
No action pics here - these are really for the modder. First pic is a 2xCR123 battery pack I'm working on. Other pics show how easy it is to swap the star and/or optics.

battpack1.jpg

guts2.jpg

guts4.jpg

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
holy cow... thats crazy... 6v through the eos? Can the electronics handle that? I guess if it can handle 1.7v * 3 = 5.1v from lithiums it prob handle 6v... what kind of runtime do you get? Thanks!

I'm sure you don't get any added brightness since its so regulated correct?

Thanks for sharing the pics!

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
jar3ds said:
holy cow... thats crazy... 6v through the eos? Can the electronics handle that? I guess if it can handle 1.7v * 3 = 5.1v from lithiums it prob handle 6v... what kind of runtime do you get? Thanks!

I'm sure you don't get any added brightness since its so regulated correct?

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Yeah, that was my logic: If three fresh Li AAA are close to 5.25V, would there be enough headroom to handle two new CR123 cells? (Not that my logic always works) :(

I wired in the 2 new CR123's and turned it on for ten minutes. It ran fine, so I think I may be OK. CR123 are less money for me than the AAA. Looking at the run time graphs, it appears 3 AAA and 2 CR123 are pretty close. I may not see any change there.

The light is regulated. I could not detect any difference in brighness. I plan to take current readings on both the cells and the emitter - just haven't got to it yet. Will post them when I get them.

I want to get a tiny two pin receptacle and mount it in the housing. That will make swapping out battery packs a lot easier. And the weight of the 2xCR123 is not a problem - I could hardly notice it.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
hum... very interesting...

i would expect the 2xCR123 to have a better runtime than with AAA's... when you say 'runtime graphs' are these yours? I thought you only ran it for 10mins? 123's would give a lot better runtime I would assume...

Just a thought... you could run unlimited amount of batteries (like rcr123's) if you ran them in parallel... I have visions of making a 4xrcr123 rear battery holder ran in parallel... wouldn't weight all that much but would be insane runtime that is rechargable :)...

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
jar3ds said:
i would expect the 2xCR123 to have a better runtime than with AAA's... when you say 'runtime graphs' are these yours?

No, mfg's data sheet:

(Well, the link is too long to post. But the number comes Radio Shack's data on AAA lithium)

Lithium AAA = 1250 mah
CR123 = 13-1400mah

chevrofreak - Great to know the max. input voltage, tnx.

Latest posts