Best Keychain LED clickie light - Recomendations?

yalskey

Enlightened
Hi guys... this is my first post :)

I have the Fenix P1, and it is awesome... but twisting the head is kinda difficult (tight), and it requires two hands.

What's the best very small LED light that will fit on a keyring with a click on/off button? (press a bit for momentary, press more for stay on)

It would be cool if it had a pocket clip too... so I might be able to clip it onto the bill of my hat while working on something.

I'm not so interested in brightness per say, but more about ultra portability and one handed convienent usage from my key chain.

Thanks for all your recomendations guys

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
yalskey said:
Hi guys... this is my first post :)

I have the Fenix P1, and it is awesome... but twisting the head is kinda difficult (tight), and it requires two hands.

Sounds like you need to lubricate ;)

sb56637

Newly Enlightened
Hey there,

My professional tightwad opinion :grin2: :
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/amart_key35k.htm
Definitely not the best, but you can't go wrong for $1. It does have the sort of switch you asked about, either squeeze it, or click the switch on for continuous use.

You can buy them on eBay of course (search for "10 pcs keychain led"), or at:
http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/ultra-bright-plastic-keychain-light-white-p-280.html
http://www.lighthound.com/sales/keychain_flashlights.htm
http://store.advancedmart.com/plcakewhledl.html

yalskey

Enlightened
thanks for the suggestion.

I was aware of these kinds of lights, but I was hoping for something a big more substantial.... like the Fenix P1, but with a clickie.

What does everyone out there use on thier keychain?

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
yalskey said:
thanks for the suggestion.

I was aware of these kinds of lights, but I was hoping for something a big more substantial.... like the Fenix P1, but with a clickie.

What does everyone out there use on thier keychain?
most people i know use twisties for lots of reasons...

since my inova days of push button keychain lights... i like twisties... arc, jil's, fenix e1 etc...

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably something like the Fenix L2P head and tail on a custom CR2 (or CR123) body is close to what you described - although it's a reverse clicky. This was a package which 4sevens sold a while back. I don't know if the same body will work with the L1T/L2T head. You might have to go find a L2P head to go with the custom body.

You can mod it for 2 level operation if you want (although that makes it into a twisty again). You should be able to find instructions for the mod with a search.

Last edited:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a CR ION in alum. bronze and couldn't be happier. It has two levels and both are floodly. The workmanship is excellent and the light is built like a tank.
You will love the L2, I just got one the other day and it is really neat!
Good luck!

yalskey

Enlightened
The CR ION is from Fenix right? $175 is a bit steep for a keychain light.

Does it have 2-stage output?
How's the run time?
Is it as small as the P1?
Does it have a clip or place to thread a keyring through?

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ion is two stage, is smaller than the P1, and has a heyring hole (as far as I remember).

No other small CR123 or CR2 that I know of has a momntary clicky. I've heard the Liteflux 1AA does though. Might be worth looking into, but not as bright as the P1.

Peak sells a momentary button for their small CR123 twisties that fit on their keychain bodies with constant on via twist. Super quality, better than Fenix, and great lights.

An economical option is the Nuwai TM310 - $10. 1AAA, poclet clip, momentary button with twist on. Is not as bright as the P1 and has some blue beam, but useful for small tasks. Not as high quality either, the pocket clip is not so strong, but for less than or up to $10, not so bad.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
yalskey said:
The CR ION is from Fenix right? $175 is a bit steep for a keychain light.

Does it have 2-stage output?
How's the run time?
Is it as small as the P1?
Does it have a clip or place to thread a keyring through?

No, the CR2 Ion is not made by Fenix and is in a completely different caliber in terms of quality. It's made by Photons International in the USA and sold at www.photonsintl.com or any of our authorized resellers.

The retail price for the standard hard anodized black and natural models is $145, has two fully regulated stages, runs on both primary lithium CR2s and rechargeables (though low mode will be brighter on RCR2s than primaries, high mode stays the same), it'll run for up to 1.5 hours in regulation off a Duracell CR2 based on independent test results, and has keyring carrying capabilities with the split ring folding up into the case when not in use. It is smaller than the P1. You can see a picture of one of the lights in my avatar, and larger ones are available on the website. :)

Best Regards,

Enrique

yalskey

Enlightened
This is definately a beautiful flashlight (CR2 Ion)... and it's one I want one day, but it doesn't have a clicky or a pocket clip unfortunately.

I carry my P1 on my keyring, which is on my carribeaner clipped to my belt loop. Twisty lights tend to need both hands to activate. So I can "one-handed-draw" it with my right hand and turn it on easily.

It would be awesome if you had accessories for it... like a clicky tail cap, and a detachable pocket clip.

Your flashlights are awesome... no doubt... just a couple of features I need are missing.

roguesw

Enlightened
how about a surefire e1l
small enough to put on a keychain, has a clip and a clickie
you can upgrade later on as well, get a KL4 head, and some
rechargaeble 123 batteries, bright 60 lumens and free runtime

cerbie

Enlightened
Lubrication is the answer, not a clicky. I use Wahl clipper oil (found it in a closet, like the results), but Nyogel products seem to be the most recommended. Even my Leatherman PST now features convinient one-handed operation :).

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, i agree lubrication is the best solution.

you first, remove the oring and clean the gunks out of the light's treads. then you put the oring bact and lube the threads AND the oring.