Looking for a battery powered fluorescent light.

Tabish

Newly Enlightened
It must not be too big like a lantern or a spotlight. It must not be too expensive. It must give of a lot of light and i would prefer that it take any kind of rechargables.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think the best place to start is exactly how much likght output do you require?
There are 4watt-18watt flourescent lanterns costing from perhaps $5 to $30 and up.
The approximate amount of light they output is about 3-4 times the tube wattage compared to standard incandescent bulbs. The higher wattage lights will require using either D cells or SLA (sealed lead acid batteries). Runtime varies also from perhaps 3-4 hours to a day or two.

As far as any kind of rechargeables go... ones that take D cells you will need D cell batteries or adapters which may reduce runtime dramatically. Personally I like the smaller CCFL 4AA lights for a small flood and something along the range of a 4D to 8D lantern sporting at least 8 watts of tube(s) in it for larger amounts of light.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Energizer double beam has a small but very bright CCFL

Takes 4 AAA's

Bought one at Home Depot for $11 but returned it - the rubber handle cover had that annoying chemical smell, but otherwise a pretty good light.

wmirag

Enlightened
Tabish said:
It must not be too big like a lantern or a spotlight. It must not be too expensive. It must give of a lot of light and i would prefer that it take any kind of rechargables.

This may be too big, but consider the Energizer flourescent lantern model FL450 at $15. It has two independent tubes and an LED. Runs on 4 D's.

W.