An RIAA silver bullet?

cy

Flashaholic
An RIAA silver bullet?

"TechDirt is running a story about how the RIAA seems to be dropping cases where the defense includes (or hinges on) an IP address as the means to identify the source of criminal activity. Essentially the defense argues that all an IP address can prove is who was paying for the net access at a particular time. Having a wide open WiFi router on your network seems to be currently the most effective means of getting the RIAA to drop all charges. Essentially the activity originating from one IP, only proves that illegal file sharing behavior is coming from one network, and not necessarily from any one specific computer or user. More importantly, it seems that the legal system is beginning to catch on to more complex technology concepts. Such concepts play a large part in how future legal cases are argued, and contribute ultimately to the foundation of complex technology legal precedents."

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/06/08/02/2231252.shtml

cy

Flashaholic
at last a clear-cut defense against RIAA.

seems wifi connections are getting pretty common place. don't know about your locale. but it's hard to drive very far without being able to pick up wifi signals

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
Funny, I made the same argument to my friends when they panicked at the news RIAA is suing people for downloading MP3's. They were actually considering getting rid of their P2P applications. I guess corporate propoganda works.

Also, it helps that I live in Canada, where it was ruled by the courts that file sharing is not against the law.

:rock:

cy

Flashaholic
yep you canadians have been imune from threats of RIAA.

RIAA lawsuits are so lopsided it's unreal. can you imagine going to your attorney for advice on how to fight a case that has the potential of losing your life saving on? VS settling for legal extorsion of $4,000 to $6,000.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that in the downtown core in Ottawa has some really hot WIFI spots. Nothing like riding someone else's wave :rock:

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
personally, i dont feel sorry for any of these big companies; sony,bmi,verizon,cablevision,io,etc. i have no problem sharing what i have. unfortunately, i have no broadband or any smarts, so the next bext thing i can share are my library of music!

COMMANDR

Enlightened
Thanks for the heads up. The RIAA has been ripping us (the comsumer) off for so long it is not funny. The artists get only a very small percentage of the profits for CD's , DVD's and so on. Its the middle man that takes the biggest bite of the pie.
rant.gif

Gary

LedSled

Newly Enlightened
Shame on you for being so stingy! Just recall when member company Sony so generously contributed to the cause of secure personal computing with their XCP copy-protection software. They gave it away for free! What philanthropists!

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
sony wouldnt allow you to upload the purchased cd onto your ipod. but instead snuck in a spyware, so they can monitor your every move!!
nice sony!

turbodog

Flashaholic
One should actually READ the acticles about this before feeling cavalier about illegally sharing and obtaining music.

The cases where it was dropped had evidence of many people using the internet connection. And we are talking about multiple people living in and visiting a house, not simply an unsecured wifi source.

Also, these cases are CIVIL cases. They don't have the same standards as criminal cases. YOU CAN BE FORCED TO TESTIFY AGAINST YOURSELF IN THEM!

The outcome is based on evidence, and it does not have to be beyond a reasonable doubt. The outcome usually goes with whatever scenario is MORE likely, period.

And to take a moral approach here... Even though I don't agree with the business practices of the music companies I still know that this is basically stealing at its very core. To suggest otherwise is to make excuses and try to justify the behavior.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I just love this logic.

By that example... since you're stealing (from them) I will come to your house and steal from you. Right? I could use a new dvd player, thanks!

I am sure that will make you quit stealing. Right?

And you always have a choice. Don't buy any music. (By the way, this doesn't mean go out and steal it instead.)

Manzerick said:
ya it's stealing but... we've had no chocie but comply with their bs for years..

If they won't change we'll change 'em!

yellow1

Newly Enlightened
LedSled said:
Shame on you for being so stingy! Just recall when member company Sony so generously contributed to the cause of secure personal computing with their XCP copy-protection software. They gave it away for free! What philanthropists!

sony didn't give away their software for free... you had to buy the CD from them first.

:goodjob: sony!

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can steal my dvd player, but you have to pay for it first! but if i offer to lent it to you do you or toshiba consider that stealing. afterall you'll be playing movies i've lent you, but i've paid for the movie, the dvd, and of you have your family watch the movie, your whole family would be stealing too. of course paramount picture would love for you and your family to send them their royalty fees and toshiba would love for you and your family to remit to them licensing fee.
if i want to share my paid music, or my paid movies, i really cant see that as stealing.
the only ones making the big bucks are the RIAA executives, MPAA executives, and their lawyers.
certainly not the recording artists!

wquiles

Flashaholic
turbodog said:
Also, these cases are CIVIL cases. They don't have the same standards as criminal cases. YOU CAN BE FORCED TO TESTIFY AGAINST YOURSELF IN THEM!

Not exactly true. No one can be "forced' to testify against themselves - key work here is "forced". However, and I think this is what you meant, in civil court you MUST testify against yourself if asked to do so, and if "taking the fifth amendment", the judge will likely instruct the jury to take this defiance to testify adversely against you. Sad but true :(

This site also has a nice summary of both, criminal vs. civil law:
link

Will

LedSled

Newly Enlightened
When I buy music, I'm paying for music. XCP was Sony's unwanted "free" bonus, that turned out to be very expensive indeed ... and with mandatory acceptance. Not only could *they* spy on your system, but also any hacker from Albany to Vladivostok could take it over and turn it into their own zombie spam server. Sony's assurances to the contrary, running the XCP uninstall procedure didn't remove the vulnerability, just the ability to play their music.

Sorry if my sarcastic wording mislead anyone, but my blood still boils at the lies and the arrogance. Capping it off, the President of the RIAA gave a glowing speech of unconditional support for Sony at an RIAA national meeting at the height of the scandal!

That much said, let us be honest, even if the RIAA is not. Unauthorized file sharing *is* stealing. If you believe the music industry's prices are outrageous, boycott the scoundrels. If anyone has evidence of collusion and price-fixing, let's get the FTC involved, along with the state attorneys general.

Last edited:

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
LedSled said:
If anyone has evidence of collusion and price-fixing, let's get the FTC involved, along with the state attorneys general.

You must have missed the now settled class action lawsuit.

Hmmm, they price fixed CDs, each consumer was entitled to $20 according to the settlement.

I own over 6000 cds. Let's say John Doe owns 10 CDs. We both would have been eligable for the same $20... pretty screwed up.