L2 or A2

STEP

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys

I've been lurking here for a while and this is my first post.

I just wanna ask u guys which flashlight I should buy between surefire L2 and A2.

I really dont need a flashlight Im just looking for a light to play with.

Currently I only have Inova X5 which is not bright enough.

So I decided to buy something brighter. Since Inova X5 is LED this time I

wanna try something different. Im leaning towards A2, and I know A2

is an awesome light. I've seen lots of good threads here about A2 but one

thing that makes me hesitate is that A2 is not that bright. What do u guys

think?

How does it compare to Maglite 6D? Thanks.

Delvance

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!

L2 or A2 ? Woah tough call...i don't know what i'd pick myself hrmm...I'd probably lean to the A2 for the incan beam for outdoor usage (most people find that the beam from an incan is more useful outdoors than an LED beam).

The A2 should have more output than a 6D mag, it just won't throw anywhere near as well. The A2 has a really small bezel and the reflector coating is very "bumpy", which does not create a throw beam, rather a smooth blob of light with hardly any artifacts. That said, it still throws quite decent though.

Getting back to L2 vs A2...i'd probably get an A2 first (i think ;)) due to it's smaller size for carry and incan beam for outdoor use, but really...you can't go wrong with either.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Step:)

Welcome at CPF:grin2:

Your X5 is a nice light for narrow range. But you can't compare this 5mm Led's with a LuxIII or LuxV Led-light.
I would prefer a bright Lux-light over an incan, but that's only imo.
About your question A2-6D. The throw of the 6D is much more than of the A2.
But since the A2 is regulated, you will have about 1 hour (perhaps more) constantly brightness.
A negative point is, you must use primaries. I prefer a light with free Lumens.

Take a look at this thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/127651

Perhaps this helps.

Best regards

____
Tom

dragoman

Enlightened
I would chose the A2 for several reasons:

1) L2, while having a greater output on high, has very short runtime at this level - A2 is regulated with a very white beam (incans give better color rendition, esp outdoors) for 1 hr

2) A2 has a LOW level (3 lumens) vs 15 for L2 on low.....15 lumens is generally a little too bright for a low setting

As far as throw, the A2 is not a monster. Neither is the L2 though. The size of the reflector pretty much restricts the distance you can throw with it.....

But if you are buying a light strictly for throw, don't buy either of these.....an M3T or TL-3 would be better for you.

An A2 and L2 will both put out more USABLE light than a 6D mag, with the A2 having the edge (IMHO) because it is an incan.

Or you could buy both ;)

dragoman

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
dragoman said:
(incans give better color rendition, esp outdoors)

Hello dragoman:)

That's a form of personally taste. I prefer a warm Led-tint. Outdoors too.
I can see better with a brighter light.
At a comparison in the same class, for example about 10W Led and 10W incan, the Led looks much more brighter, so I be able to see more.
The incan looks like a yellow candle against to the Led.

Take a look to the pictures in this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/120198

Best regards

_____
Tom

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would definately go for the l2... it is MUCH BRIGHTER. The l2 is a floodlight, and it puts out a wall of light. it has twice the output of the A2, and just about the same runtime. the low is regulated too. Want a throw light- neither of these do, want a floodlight, the l2 floods.... while the A2 does neither. While the a2 is smaller, it doesnt have nearly the amound of output, and since the l2 costs less, i wouldnt think twice.

here is the l2's runtime graph on high:

http://www.obaq.tv/cpf/images/SureFire_L2_L4_Runtime.png

-david

Last edited:

Luna

Enlightened
dragoman said:
2) A2 has a LOW level (3 lumens) vs 15 for L2 on low.....15 lumens is generally a little too bright for a low setting

Use one of the AW cells in the L2 and you will drop thelow level down considerably without hurting the high level.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the L2 would be more fun for a toy to play with. I had one briefly and it was a lot of fun to play with. It is useable too, the low level is like max on a lot of lights and the high is impressive. The very useable low on the A2 is just not as fun or impressive - more like a tool than a toy.

lightplay22

Enlightened
I really can't see either one as being a bad choice. I have A2 and a good friend has L2 and both are GREAT lights. I just got to side by side compare in a building with the suspended cieling removed but still had the 2x4 flourescent lights in place and turned on. The L2 was weak when shining up into the attic space while the incan A2 lit up the wires and framing very well.
I was surprised at the A2's vast superiority in this particular setting. (cieling was 8' with about 2' attic space) Not a long throw by any means but demonstrates one area where incan light is superior.

Hope this helps

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Hey Step... welcome!!!

Buying them both isn't a bad idea...

The bad part: you drop a lot of money... for now.

The good parts: you get to play with them both, and then sell the one you don't like as much on the Lights for Sale thread - you'll be able to get almost as much as you spent on it back! (Although I'd probably post a few more times before you try to sell a light here... lately there have been some not so honest sellers there).

Although, if you ask me, I'd go with the L2. But you're not going wrong with either (or both) lights.

john

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have both, would probably pick the A2 over the L2, but as several said above it's a close choice.

I don't think the L2 is brighter at distance than the A2, but it has a broader beam. On the other hand, I like the color temp of the A2 incan much better outdoors at night.

The L2 seems very long compared to the A2 - if that matters. OTOH, the L2 will never blow its primary bulb (since it doesn't have one!).

It's basically a coin toss...

SCblur

Enlightened
wow, tough decision. If I had to choose, I would go with the L2 though. The deciding factors for me would be the added brightness of the L2, its ability to accept recharegeables, the more useable low beam (IMHO), and more uniform beam pattern on low and high (compared to the A2). Some people don't like LED's outdoors, but the L2 happens to be my favorite camping and hiking light.

As others have said, it all comes down to a matter of taste. Both are awesome lights.

Welcome to CPF!

clipse

Enlightened
I don't have an L2 but I do have an A2. In fact I just got it this morning. Its an awesome light.

clipse

TorchEnvy

Newly Enlightened
I have both of these lights, and I can agree with what has been said above. In my short time owning them, I see them in different yet often overlapping roles.

While I was initially unimpressed with the A2's LED output, it has grown on me. It's fine for reading in a room with little to no ambient light. I think my L2 low beam would be too bright in that situation.

For lighting a room during power outage, I think the L2 would be a little better because of its floody output, and you would have the means to occasionally kick up to high. (Of course, it can't stand on its tail without accessorizing...but I digress.)

For investigating a bump in the night indoors, either one would probably be good. For outdoors, perhaps an edge to the A2's incan, but I suspect the L2's high beam would light up the wall of a house well at shorter distances.

I still need to do some outdoor walking among foilage to see what I like best for that task. I assume the A2's LED wouldn't be as good as the L2's low beam for foreground navigation, but the incan would be better at looking farther down the trail.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also had both of these lights. It is a tuff decision, but i will choose the L2 due to its amazing power Flood and a high low level. You cant go wrong with either light.

Max Brightness

Enlightened
What has already been says covered a lot and I wanted to add that you could also get a blue filter (the F06?) and the L2 on low beam and you get yourself and even lower setting.

The blue beam may take some time getting used to and it adds to the fun since it really highlights yellow and orange and I guess red also, so you can say search your house for yellow and orange highlighter pens. Not that I've done this:whistle:

citizenal

Newly Enlightened
I love my A2 and I think I read somewhere by JS that the A2 actually has somewhere near 79 lumens instead of 50. I also like the fact that is is one of the whitest incan beams that I have.

SCblur

Enlightened
You said that you want a light primarily to play with. One consideration, is where you plan on playing with it more. The A2 would be more fun to play w/ outside, the L2 would be more fun inside.

batman

Enlightened
the A2 is just awesome,..but I"ve never had an L2. My opinion? What would you want with an L2 anyways?

Illum

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPForums! :wave:

buy both....next question:grin2:

personally I believe the L2 has more versitality and wont drain the batteries in an OMGWTFBBQ manner...:laughing:

yet again...:grin2:

the A2 gets most of the cheers on this forum:naughty: