SF L2, L4 or L5

67chad

Newly Enlightened
I have been interested in the L5, L4, and L2 for a while now. I would really like to know form some of you who have them what the advantages each one has so I can decide what one to get. I like the fact that the L2 and L4 are so small yet they put out so much power. How dose the L5 compare to them? The Surefire website puts them all at the same max output. I am sorry if this has been covered before but I could not find what I was looking for using the search. Thanks for your help,

a99raptors

Enlightened
All three lights are great lights with different purposes. In summary:

L2: Worklight
L4: EDC, Self-defense
L5: Medium range illumination. But for the similar price and beam profile, why not get the U2?

67chad

Newly Enlightened
I really like how small the L4 is how dose it compare to the output of the L5? Surefire clmes they are the same. I take it the L5 has better throw. what can expect out of runtime with the two?

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
I only have an L2.
In comparison with (say) the HDS U60, the beam is floodier, off-white (but shows up colors well).
Because the beam is broader, the 100 lumens have to go further so the throw is a bit less.
Incidentally you can use 14670 protected Li-Ions.
I agree with a99raptors' description of 'worklight' for the L2.

a99raptors

Enlightened
67chad said:
I really like how small the L4 is how dose it compare to the output of the L5? Surefire clmes they are the same. I take it the L5 has better throw. what can expect out of runtime with the two?
I think the runtime for both the L4 and L5 are about the same. The thing is that the L4 is small, has the same output, but a flood beam. Which means it is best used in short range illumination. However, even in outdoors, I find the L4 to be incredibly useful because you can really see what's in front of you. As for the L5, the beam profile will be more of the typical Surefire: Central hotspot with a soft corona. It is better suited for a medium range illumination. The L4 is just one smooth "Wall of Light" although it does have a hotspot.

Keep in mind that if you really want a long range light, you need an incandescent or a HID.

67chad

Newly Enlightened
I am liking the L4 more and more. I have a 9P and a C2 already so I think it might just be best to Go with the L4 and down the road if i feel like i need it i can get a KL5 for my C2. thanks for your help,

67chad

Newly Enlightened
I have been wondering why most of the reviews I have read say the L4 has 65 Lumens but the Surefire website show it has 100 Lumens. What is the difference with the LED.

afultz075

Newly Enlightened
I absolutely love my L2. The length really isn't as much of an issue as it's made out to be. It's still quite pocketable. The dual output levels come in handy, as a lot of the time a full blast of 100 lumens isn't needed. Last night I used the L2 to light up the back of my friends trunk while we were working on his subwoofer and the L2 on low was plenty of light for that purpose.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
a99raptors said:
L5: Medium range illumination. But for the similar price and beam profile, why not get the U2?

The L5 is quite a bit cheaper than the U2.

as to the runtime, there has been discussion of possible presence of quite a few types of Electronics in the L5, which makes some L5 able to run on 3 cells safely while other L5s can't. But as a whole it has the saem output and very similar runtime as the L4

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
My KL5 with one 18650 or Pila 600P, is simply awesome. Get the L5 and have someone bore out your body for the larger 18650 size, or get the KL5 from lighthound.com, and find a Tranquillty Base 18650 body. I had the KL4, two of them, and loved them, except ithey got too hot when I ran them over 5 minutes or so. The latest KL5's are bight, bright, bright, and are really a great work light.

Bill

sodakar

Newly Enlightened
YMMV, but...

L2 = work or home; dual output is great for a variety of uses. I personally use it at work.

L4 = like the E2 series, the perfect size for EDC -- especially with the clip...

L5 = I like it in the car for the extra throw, which comes in handy when you're outdoors.

As a sidenote, I should mention that I traded away the L5, because the 1.5" bezel wouldn't fit in my car's door pocket... Fortunately, I already had a C3, which has a 0.25" smaller diameter...

67chad

Newly Enlightened
Well I think I have it all figured out lol. I think for now I will just get a KL5 head for my C2 from Llighthound, and later when I need it I will pick up an L2 for a work light. Always handy when working on a 67 Mustang. I do have some questions though. How will the KL5 head perform compared to my 9p (P90)? Also it was mentioned that some KL5 heads work with 3 cells, what are the benefits of this setup (More output, longer life)?

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have run a 9v W/E bulb in my M2 + detonator setup and to my eyes it isn't brighter than my late-model L5.

Luna

Enlightened
Chronos said:
I have run a 9v W/E bulb in my M2 + detonator setup and to my eyes it isn't brighter than my late-model L5.

Put a P91 on there :)

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL- trying to keep to a 1-hour runtime amigo! Yeah, I should pick up a P91 or two to keep around.

But really I don't "see" a difference in output between my L5 and the P90.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried all three and have stuck to the L4.

L2 - Two levels were nice but not necessary for my needs. Overall it was too long for my liking.

L5 - Again, for my needs, the L4 did everything the L5 did, but in a smaller, easier to carry package.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Again, I use my KL5 as a work light around my house and property, keeping it on for many minutes at a time. The KL5 is much more comfortable to carry, heat wise, and I have a nice Holester sheith, or I carry it in my back pocket. Bigger, yes, but a real heavy duty light.

Bill

Luna

Enlightened
ResQTech said:
I've tried all three and have stuck to the L4.

L2 - Two levels were nice but not necessary for my needs. Overall it was too long for my liking.

If levels are not an issue, the L2 vs L4 debte comes down to size. The length of the L2 can be handier (such as not having to fumble in your pocket looking for the light like the L4 in deep pockets) but the thin barrel prevents you from using high cap batteries. Powerwise, the L2 has more potential but the lux lotto can make up that difference.

PS (I have the EL1,L2,L4 and U2--l5 size) and I find each useful.

67chad

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the help. I will most likely be using it for backpacking and camping. I think I will Get KL5 head to complement my C2, and maybe down the road get a U2 or a L2. I really like the U2 I am just not sure I am ready to speed that kind of money lol.