High-flux, superflux, emitter, ... what are the differences?

NickBose

Enlightened
Where can I read the basic information about all these types of LED: highflux, superflux, emitter, star, ....?
:huh2: :huh2:
:anyone:

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
>highflux,
Doesn't mean much.

>superflux,
Those little square LEDs with four legs.

>emitter,
Just the part that emits light. A little half dome of clear plastic the size of half a pea sitting on a black base, has two leads sticking out.

>star
An emitter mounted on a little aluminum heat radiator the size of a nickel.

NickBose

Enlightened
Ken_McE said:
>highflux,
Doesn't mean much.

>superflux,
Those little square LEDs with four legs.

:huh2: Why 4 legs? 2 positives and 2 negatives? Is there any difference in the beam angle?

>emitter,
Just the part that emits light. A little half dome of clear plastic the size of half a pea sitting on a black base, has two leads sticking out.

>star
An emitter mounted on a little aluminum heat radiator the size of a nickel.

What is "surface-mount" LED?

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
:huh2: Why 4 legs? 2 positives and 2 negatives? Is there any difference in the beam angle?

They are two positive and two negative. The extra legs are handy when you're soldering them. They also give them good mechanical stability for high vibration environments like cars. Because they are metal they provide good paths for heat to conduct out from the LED, helping cool it.

The Superfluxes I have seen all seem to be designed for a wide angle beam. Since I work with area lighting I have become fond of them. If you take a typical 3, 5, 8, or 10 mm LED and light it up and point it at a wall you will see that they are mostly designed to emit a tight little cone-shaped beam.

What is "surface-mount" LED?

I think of them as being little tiny flat LEDs that no normal human being can work with because they're too small

lumenal

Enlightened
I noticed on the packaging for my Streamlight 4AA Propoly Luxeon that it states,"10,000 hour "super high-flux" Luxeon LED"....

What catagory does this fall into?

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
Surface mount parts are small and usually flat with very small leads or no leads at all. They mount directly onto the circuit board and are generally not meant for humans to work with.(They're usually attached by machines or highly automated processes.)
If you are experienced with soldering, have good eyes and really steady hands you may be able to work with them, but it's not easy. You'll probably also need special tools.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
>I noticed on the packaging for my Streamlight 4AA Propoly Luxeon that it states,

>"10,000 hour

How long they think the bulb will last.

>"super high-flux"

Marketing talk for all shiny and bright

>Luxeon LED"....

Luxeon is a manufacturer of good quality LEDs.

>What catagory does this fall into?

Don't know.