Streamlight 1 AA VS inova X1?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I `m wondering...does the Streamlight us the CS bulb? Are the lumens the same? $12.95 SL www.brightguy.com vs X1 $20.00 Target. But add shipping...about the same. The Inova`s built like a tank...but I`m not taking it to war. Just around the block on walks and maybe around the house. Is the Streamlight like following the "bouncing ball"?

Ken

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, tough call. I'd say they are similar in brightness. I like both, but they operate in different ways. The SL has an electronic button on the side, the X1 has a mechanical momentary and twist to lock tail. The SL has two levels though, which I find very useful and SL claoms 80 hours on low. I'd expect no more than 40 useable hours, but still...
So it depends what you use it for. Both are good for walking around the house. Assuming you are gettingthe new floody X1. Both are about as blue if memory serves me correct, but I'd have to compare at home tonight to confirm. I think the SL used the CS bulb, it claims 8 lumens from one 5mm - what else gets that output?
The X1 beam is wider but tapering off at the edges, the SL 1AA has a deep reflector to throw more forward, but doesn't have a tight hotspot, more of a spread which is useful walking around the house. Made more for up close to maybe 5 meters away.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Badbeams said:
I `m wondering...does the Streamlight us the CS bulb? Are the lumens the same? $12.95 SL www.brightguy.com vs X1 $20.00 Target. But add shipping...about the same. The Inova`s built like a tank...but I`m not taking it to war. Just around the block on walks and maybe around the house. Is the Streamlight like following the "bouncing ball"?

Ken

Both are good lights.

The X1, as you say, is built like a tank, and seems to be very dependable. I rarely use mine, but like the security of having a very tough, dependable backup light in my rucksack. Since I never use it, I know it always has a fresh battery for emergencies.

The SL TL 1AA is the light I use daily, more than any other light. It's very convenient and easy to use, with great ergonomics. Feels good in the hand and is great for around the house and for walking outdoors.

The low setting is really great on this light - perfect for getting up at night without dazzling your eyes - and plenty of light for moving around the house. Really conserves the battery, too.

Mine has been dropped once onto a cement driveway, knocked off a table onto a hardwood floor a couple of times, and it's never missed a beat. Probably not as tough as the X1, but seems plenty tough enough for ordinary use.

Runtime seems very good, although I haven't run a formal test. (Streamlight, unlike some other manufacturers I won't name, is fairly conservative when providing the specified runtimes for its lights.)

If you want a bombproof backup, get the X1. If you want a handy tasklight for daily use, get the Streamlight.