Flourescent Lights

recercare

Enlightened
I'm going to buy a flourescent lantern. "Coleman Northstar lantern with nightlight" sounds like a great product! However, I know Osram and Energizer have made similar lanterns too. Are they just as good? Do you know other good flourescent camp lights?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by recercare:
I'm going to buy a flourescent lantern. "Coleman Northstar lantern with nightlight" sounds like a great product! However, I know Osram and Energizer have made similar lanterns too. Are they just as good? Do you know other good flourescent camp lights?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's this tiny flourescent light at Radio Shack w/ a 5W Osram tube. The whole thing is like maybe a little bigger than a pager, uses two AA's so the runtime probably isn't that great...

But I have one of those Eveready flourescent lanterns w/ the two 4W tubes, where you can have one or both on at once... pretty handy, if not a bit bulky....

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The runtime for the Radio Shack flourescent light sucks. It doesn't matter if you use cheap batteries or premium batteries. Well... startup is better with half dead premium batteries rather than half dead cheap batteries. But that's the only advantage. Run time is still bad. It does put out a lot of light. I think a 2C setup would be better without getting too bulky.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah. The Rayovac Sportsman 8D seems tougher than any Coleman flourescent lantern. But the only one I have is the Coleman 6D. It's barely adequate.

What I have done is pull them apart at Wal Mart and looked inside. I even put a couple of 6V lantern batteries in a Coleman. It was brighter than my 6D model. But wasn't inspiring. I didn't have the guts to put batteries in the Rayovac. That meant destroying battery packages. But I like the propane lanterns. Can't beat the light they put out without getting elaborate.

Al

Enlightened
Try the Radio Shack light w/ 1600 mah nimh's ... run time MUCH better, over 1 hour.

recercare

Enlightened
Well, the Coleman Northstar U-Tube has a 9W lamp/u-tube. 100 hours run time on low and 25 hours on high.

It seems like flourescent is a better choice than LED ...at least for camplights. I doubt you can get a LED-light with the same lamp output and run time. The gas-lamps are obviously brighter, but more dangerous as well.

Velcro

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alaric Darconville:
There's this tiny flourescent light at Radio Shack w/ a 5W Osram tube<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alaric, you can see in the "From:" line that Recercare is from Norway, and they don't have Radio Shack there.
smile.gif
wink.gif

Greetings,
Velcro

recercare

Enlightened
Yes, I have been looking for a place to buy the Arcwhite. I've only found Botach.

Oh...I believe NDS and www.batteries.com sell this flashlight as well....but they don't ship to Europe.

mad.gif
mad.gif

I've written a post in the individual sale/trade. Maybe you can help me out?

MarcV

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by recercare:
Maybe you can help me out?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks like postage to Norway will cost $14.00 US. That's nearly the value of the light.

It's a shame you don't have one; it is really useful with that nice fluorescent tube. The tightly focused spot on the wall from it's incandescent bulb is brighter than the UK 4AA.

Does any CPF member travel between the US and Norway? This would be easy and safe to carry to a fellow forumite.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Velcro:
Alaric, you can see in the "From:" line that Recercare is from Norway, and they don't have Radio Shack there.
smile.gif
wink.gif

Greetings,
Velcro
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can't imagine life without Radio Shack!

Surely Norway must have some neat stores there that we don't have here... And the best kippered herring comes from Norway!