Inova X1 or Arc AAA???

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
Long story short, I've had some issues with inova, 2 of the lights I've got from them were defective:rant:, I'm tired of returning lights now :mad:. Should I give them one last chance or should I just move onto arc and get a aaa or wait for the aa? I don't plan on spending more than an arc aaa as I am using it as a secondary light.Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
Hi D@rk,

I can't comment on the Inova as I don't own one, but as you are using it as a secondary light, you can't really go wrong with the Arc, since it is utterly reliable. Unreliability was your main gripe with the Inova's, so why not go for the change. My Arc is always there, I mostly forget it is, but the idea that it will get me out of trouble in any circumstances is comforting. Unless you want more light, this would be my choice.

Good luck,

Kees

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I wouldn't wait for the Arc AA since who knows when it is coming, and there are much more advanced options out there these days.

Really, its a question of how you will use the light. The Arc AAA is IMHO the BEST keychain light in existence and will always be there for you on your keychain- you won't even notice that you have it with you.

At about half the price, the reflectored X1 is (once again IMHO) the best quality 5mm based AA light. The beam is similar to the Arc, and the brightness is slightly higher. Definately a great option, but it won't be small enough for a keychain- you'll have to pocket carry it.

Another idea if you are looking to get a pocket-carry AA light is to purchase a luxeon based one (many Fenix or clone options available) that has or can be modded to have mutiple stages. The price will be in the Arc range (for example, you can get a Fenix L1P for less than $40 and add cheap resistor to make it 2 stages). This way, you will have a long running backup with better beam quality and tint, and still have some bright light if you need it.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
Solstice said:
Personally, I wouldn't wait for the Arc AA since who knows when it is coming, and there are much more advanced options out there these days.

Really, its a question of how you will use the light. The Arc AAA is IMHO the BEST keychain light in existence and will always be there for you on your keychain- you won't even notice that you have it with you.

At about half the price, the reflectored X1 is (once again IMHO) the best quality 5mm based AA light. The beam is similar to the Arc, and the brightness is slightly higher. Definately a great option, but it won't be small enough for a keychain- you'll have to pocket carry it.

Another idea if you are looking to get a pocket-carry AA light is to purchase a luxeon based one (many Fenix or clone options available) that has or can be modded to have mutiple stages. The price will be in the Arc range (for example, you can get a Fenix L1P for less than $40 and add cheap resistor to make it 2 stages). This way, you will have a long running backup with better beam quality and tint, and still have some bright light if you need it.

As I said before, I am using this light as a secondary one. The fenix is currently my primary which is going to soon be replaced (I have that taken care of already). The defects on my inovas were a crack on the led (1st one), and an off centred led (2nd one). I don't need something that's insanely bright.

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go for the Arc...I think you want one deep down anyway.

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
An Arc is a classic standard so you're unlikely to "go wrong". However, I think you'd get more bang for the buck with one of the Fenix twisties: Civictor, L0P or E1.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had extremely good luck with all my Inovas, not had one issue with any one of them, and I have a few now, and use them every day. I would always recomend them to anyone.

That said, if you have had bad luck with them, you may never be satisfied with them, quite often first impressions stick especially if a second bad impression is made, no matter what happens later. If this is the case, you may be better served with another manufacturer like the Arc.