HDS45 xr gt - convince me

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey guys,

so after the initial buying craze, sold off my cr2 ion, want to sell off the bushnell 2xcr123a, the 1aaa pocket illuminator, and would sell off the many 3aaa 28- and 9-led lights I have except I got the latter for so cheap during axshop's buy-one-get-one sale that it probably wouldn't be worth the postage - i'm edc'ing my photon freedom white and reds (love the 'infinite' modulation of brightness), the 2aaa pocket illuminator, and orb raw ns, hopefully soon to be upgraded to u-bin by rob, in a nice lizard artofthehide case.

not long ago though, i used to edc the hds 42 xr gt i have, and loved the different levels, the size, the look. but now it seems supplanted at high levels by the pocket illuminator, and at lower levels it's just easier to reach for the photon (and plan to get mm's arc mod w/ 25ma and 1.5w). the hds's durability would be nice while hiking at yosemite, but then i'd have to get a kydex holster from warren and i would love a leatherman wave/hds combo holster, but no reply from warren.

can anyone think of some reasons why i shouldn't sell off the hds and stick to what i gots right now?

thanks guys, it iwll help immensely... unless of course everyone says 'just keep it all' =D

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I'm in the opposite situation to you, I just got a HDS B42 and am trying to think why to keep using my other torches!

I think the general concensus is that the HDS may not be the best at any particular performance indicator (brightness, runtime, looks etc), but is a fantastic all round performer and extremely well thought out, designed and built.

There's no way I'll sell mine, and I don't think you should either!!!

LedSled

Newly Enlightened
gadgetnerd is right. I have a U60XRGT that I use with unprotected RCR123's ... good runtime, brightness, and throw ... compact, versatile, and cheap to operate. I didn't plan on turning my other lights into shelf queens, but that's the way it worked out.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I find the primary level on my XRGT plenty bright enough for most things and seledon step it up to level 4, on this level it will light up trees at least a 100 feet away. The U60XRGT will be slightly brighter but not worth the bucks to me. There may be brighter lights but I'm sure for EDC the HDS 42 XRGT will keep you more than happy. :)

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
ginaz - hmm, interesting thread. if i keep it though, i don't trust my skills enough to take a soldering iron to the hds lol.

norm - yes, you're right - when i did edc it, i always found the primary level very much adequate. funny though, i would turn it to the max setting every so often, just to 'feel like i was getting my money's worth' i guess!

ledsled - forgot that these guys can run UNprotected r123's. which brand do you use? maybe i need to invest in a set and give the old hds another run.

one thing for sure is that i think if I get the surefire beamshaper, it will fill the (expensive) hole that the cr2 ion left, and that would be great.

so do you guys carry it via clip on your belt? i did that while i edc'ed it, but then it would slip side to side, and i felt like i wanted a sheath or case but wasn't sure which.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
It's a GREAT value for the money!! Get em' before they're gone at current prices!!

Maybe this was brought up, but the mod would of course void your warranty and Henry could decide NOT to help you out if you messed it up - even through no fault of your own - well the mod WOULD be "fault" of your own, eh...

Norm

Retired Administrator
mcmc said:
norm - yes, you're right - when i did edc it, i always found the primary level very much adequate. funny though, i would turn it to the max setting every so often, just to 'feel like i was getting my money's worth' i guess!
Me too

mcmc said:
so do you guys carry it via clip on your belt? i did that while i edc'ed it, but then it would slip side to side, and i felt like i wanted a sheath or case but wasn't sure which.

I have a holster that Kazu made for me, I think it's the best looking best finished holster available

More pics here http://mav.nifty.com/ahp/textview.cgi?kazuroom+28902+34

Last edited:

LedSled

Newly Enlightened
mcmc said:
ledsled - forgot that these guys can run UNprotected r123's. which brand do you use? maybe i need to invest in a set and give the old hds another run.
I use CPF member markcm's at www.e-lectronics.net.

Incidentally, for carry I just cap the lens with a cut-down 1" plastic chair leg ferrule, and drop the light in a trouser pocket. It shares the space with a leather key case. ... I never could stand holsters.

dixemon

Enlightened
mcmc said:
the hds's durability would be nice while hiking at yosemite, but then i'd have to get a kydex holster from warren and i would love a leatherman wave/hds combo holster, but no reply from warren.
mcmc said:
If you want a leatherman and combo light holder, youll find it in the Maxpedition line of products. They have a double holster that is bullet proof and well designed. I have been carring a T1 and Leatherman in it for work and it is a tight package. If you bought the 2x123a tube for the HDS of your flavor, It would be quite a nice fit in Maxpeditions double 4" holster. I cant wait for the HDS Heavy Duty to come out. That will take the place of my T1 for work. Heres the Sheath for 23$ its a steal http://www.maxpedition.com/product/catalog_holster_sheath.htm

Also for a great low profile holster, check out AKJ concealco's SF100
http://www.obairlann.net/~reaper/flashlight/hds/concealco/ it also comes in a nice brown color.

Last edited:

blahblahblah

Enlightened
dixemon said:
... I cant wait for the HDS Heavy Duty to come out. That will take the place of my T1 for work.

I'd love to get my hands on an HDS LR 85 !!! Now if someone could make a Ti strike bezel for it, we're talking some great vapor.

dixemon

Enlightened
blahblahblah said:
I'd love to get my hands on an HDS LR 85 !!! Now if someone could make a Ti strike bezel for it, we're talking some great vapor.

Believe me, I hear ya. That would be one sick flash stick.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
dixemon- ooh, nice holsters. thanks for the tips!

fortunately warren replied to my question over on his kydex holsters thread, so i'll probably be picking up a leatherman wave (well, it's for the charge ti but i am hoping the wave will fit - otherwise i might "have" to buy the powder black charge ti, hehe) and hds combo holster from him...

sounds like the consensus though is to keep it =) indeed, what a deal - 99 dollars for the xr gt plus 10 batts...