need help with version of U2 with plastic inside

Miracle

Enlightened
I just check with the SF retailer and their version of the U2 is the ones with the plastic sleves inside.

How old is this U2 version?

I believe if I were to remove this plastic sleve, I can use the cheaper and longer lasting rechargable battery 18xxx (cannot remember the full/correct name)?

Can some kind souls please tell me in what situation would it require me to change this body of the U2? I am asking this because some of the souls here got new bodies for their U2 which resulted in the smaller bodies. Why did you wanted to ask for new bodies? There are no electrical parts in that portion of the body.

Also, if I removed this plastic part and if I have to ask SF for a replacement, do I have to send my U2 body to SF?

Take care & God bless,

M

Last edited:

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Hi Miracle,

I just last week bought a U2 new in the box. However, it did have the plastic sleeve, so it is an older model. This is a good thing! Here's why:

I was able to remove the plastic sleeve in-tact. Now, I can use rechargeable 18650 batteries in it if I wish. If I want to use regular 123a primaries, I just put the plastic sleeve back in (to prevent battery rattle).

I don't know why anyone would want the newer narrow body. Many have had to bore them out to accept the 18650 batteries. A lot of work.

I'm guessing that SF would probably not honor the warranty if you removed the sleeve. I feel it is worth it to be able to achieve long runtimes on a rechargeable cell. Plus, I can't imagine why you would ever need the body replaced.

Anyway, it's a fantastic light. Good luck!

Bill

turbodog

Flashaholic
If you get warranty service they want the whole light. And to send back just part of it is just begging to be placed at the bottom of the warranty pile.

However, I'd remove the sleeve and not worry about it. If you are careful when you remove it, you will NOT damage it.

And if it's not damaged you can easily reinstall it with a little light glue if you have to send it back.

I have had both versions and I like the sleeved one better. Primary cells fit much better in it. And I can just slide it out if I want to use li-ion cells.

Also, you're thinking of the 18650 li-ion cell. The 17650 is a touch narrower and fits better. This cell also fits the surefire L4 and the hds light with the 2x123 tube.

Miracle

Enlightened
thankz for the info cd-card-biz & turbodog (<---nice name),

r there any issues with the plastic sleeved U2? Clickie? Donut etc?

if i m not wrong, there r some souls here had SureFire sent them replacement parts without the need to ship their own faulty parts to SureFire. Can I do this? Or do I have to ship my faulty parts to SureFire every time I want a replacement?

Anyway if I am unable to remove the plastic sleeve, can I use protected 17670 with the sleeve inside the U2?

:huh2:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Miracle said:
r there any issues with the plastic sleeved U2? Clickie? Donut etc?

if i m not wrong, there r some souls here had SureFire sent them replacement parts without the need to ship their own faulty parts to SureFire. Can I do this? Or do I have to ship my faulty parts to SureFire every time I want a replacement?

Anyway if I am unable to remove the plastic sleeve, can I use protected 17670 with the sleeve inside the U2?

:huh2:
To answer your questions:

1. the sleeve is independent of any other issues you may (or may not) have with the light

2. this only happens with faulty parts such as a switch. If the circuit on your light is malfunctioning, you'll need to send them the whole light.

3. Yes, provided they fit.