Rechargeable Flashlight that plugs directly into the wall

Lightbringer

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a one of those flashlights that has the plug directly built into it. You know...the plug folds out and plugs into the wall? I want a few to install around the house. I already have some good lights (surefires, inovas, etc), these are just to use really quick for something or to find my way to my good lights. They can be LED or incandescent. Cheaper the better, since I want to get a few. Thanks for the help!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wal*Mart and Target are always good stores for that as well as your local hardware stores. Costco carries packs of these every so often but not consistently. They can usually be found in the $10 neighborhood.

Lightbringer said:
I am looking for a one of those flashlights that has the plug directly built into it. You know...the plug folds out and plugs into the wall? I want a few to install around the house. I already have some good lights (surefires, inovas, etc), these are just to use really quick for something or to find my way to my good lights. They can be LED or incandescent. Cheaper the better, since I want to get a few. Thanks for the help!

Lightbringer

Newly Enlightened
I got the Costco ones awhile back, but most of them have gone dead, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any other kind. Thanks.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
They all go dead after they're left in the wall with little usage. If you're handy with a screwdriver, you can replace the batteries in the Costco ones if they're the ones I'm thinking of.

These lights are cheaply made, with low capacity batteries. For the most part there isn't much that differentiates them. Quite honestly, you'd probably be better off with some 2 D cell lights left around the house than with the plug-ins. They'll last longer, cost less, and if you forget to change the batteries after a few years and they leak, you're only out $5 or so.

Personally, I've gone to leaving 2D Mag LEDs around the house. They're bright enough for any household task, and then some, and their run time is more than adequate.

Lightbringer said:
I got the Costco ones awhile back, but most of them have gone dead, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any other kind. Thanks.

Sierra_Bill

Newly Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
They all go dead after they're left in the wall with little usage. If you're handy with a screwdriver, you can replace the batteries in the Costco ones if they're the ones I'm thinking of.

These lights are cheaply made, with low capacity batteries. For the most part there isn't much that differentiates them. Quite honestly, you'd probably be better off with some 2 D cell lights left around the house than with the plug-ins. They'll last longer, cost less, and if you forget to change the batteries after a few years and they leak, you're only out $5 or so.

Personally, I've gone to leaving 2D Mag LEDs around the house. They're bright enough for any household task, and then some, and their run time is more than adequate.

My Garrity plug-ins are 8 years old and are still going strong, even with little use. The advantages are that they will automatically turn on in a power outage and the batteries don't leak like alkalines do. While generally I think that Garrity should be avoided, I recommend having one or two of these cheap lights around the house. At least they'll help you find your Inovas or Surefires when the power goes out.

Bill D.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a good assortment of lights I think these are a good addition.

Mine have been very helpful alowing me to locate my flashlight stash in the first few seconds after a power fail.

All the critical comments are valid to some extent.

Here is what I don't like about these lights, the unilluminated person who believes the marketing hype and thinks "how wonderful these are all I ever need"

A family friend who thought that way found himself in deep trouble after the 1989 Loma Priets quake. After 90 minutes every light he had went dead, with NO way of recharging them and NO way of dumping out the batts and putting in disposables. Since these were all he ever needed, he had nothing else.

By the way the ones that I have that I like the best are fluorescent and about 5 inches long. I bought those a year ago at Target for $11.95 each.

Last edited:

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Call me another person who turns up his nose at household rechargeable lights. I'd rather stash several moderately-priced lights throughout the house ... then keep a drawer with fresh batteries (batteries purchased every 5 years or so) to feed them.

Not too hard. It just takes a teensy amount of forethought, planning, etc ...

Double A: "Here is what I don't like about these lights, the unilluminated person who believes the marketing hype and thinks: 'How wonderful, these are all I ever need!'

A family friend who thought that way found himself in deep trouble after the 1989 Loma Priets quake. After 90 minutes every light he had went dead, with NO way of recharging them and NO way of dumping out the batteries and putting in disposables. Since these were all he ever needed, he had nothing else."

Freakin' shweet! There's another reason not to own these. :ohgeez:

My uncle asked me about the "Faraday" (shake) lights and I told him to avoid these gimmicks too. If I had one of these in a power outtage, I'd only use it to go find a decent flashlight. :grin2:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Brighteyez. The MagLEDs are very bright with several hours of runtime. Or, alternatively, you can go with a Nite-Ize LED in a C/D Mag and stop worrying about runtime at all. Quickbeam found that, in a 2D Mag, there was an 8% drop in brightness over a full 24 hours. I have one, and while it isn't a scorcher, it's "bright enough," somewhere in the realm of the Inova Radiant AAA, only with adjustable focus for better throw.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Several hours off a Mag-LED is an understatement, those things run for a few dozen at least, and that was from a test on a 2D version. They run a bit pricer than these rechargable deals, but do understand, a few dozen hours of light is a bit better than a couple hours with a moonbeam lens.
The Nite Ize drop-in is a slightly cheaper, but probably more sensible choice. Their packaging hints at a hundred hours off a 3D...Heck, even if it's just fifty that's still a dang long running light. Not the brightest around, but it's still great in a blackout and is much more durable in a Mag body than any rechargable ever made.
Either way, it's going to be more expensive than a rechargable. If you absolutely must have a light in each room of the house, go with something smaller and cheaper like some Nite Ize MMs or a some River Rocks if you live near a Target.
I admit, I do like the idea of the simple plug-in nightlights that turn on in a blackout. As fixtures rather than handhelds, it'd be nice to have a blackout where the night lights click right on when the power goes out. Easier to find more lights and get ready for a long-term one.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I had one of those plug in the wall things.

It had a DIM off center Moonbeam... so I harvested the LED and the Battery (GP 1300mAh NimH) and junked the rest.

It was pretty cheesy the way it plugged in too.

I have M*gs with M*gleds in strategic locations. 84cent 2AAs with SMJLEDs in other places.

And a big stash in the "office" in a cabinet...

I got lights COVERED!

Empath

Flashaholic
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
I got lights COVERED!

Not me! I just noticed a shelf downstairs that doesn't have a single light on it, I've got to get that taken care of right away.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two energizer led lights that plug in and work as a night light, plus a garrity brand light. The led ones are great, use they as nightlights too. THe garrity one has the option to replace the aa batteries in it and have done so once in the past ten years Ive owned and use it. I have another no name one in the bathroom that too has had the batteries replaced. I use those none led ones in the other rooms incase of a power failure. I then turn them off and use an led light for lighting and save them for some real light .

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
Lightbringer,

Like Cobb, I also have two of those Energizer LED auto-on rechargable lights. When they are sitting idle in the outlet, they are nightlights. When activated, you can choose from two settings. The lowest setting I think runs for 80 hours. I believe I paid about $8 for them a Wally World.

Coleman also has some nice fluorescents that stay charged and switch on during a power failure. Kind of nice if you can leave on on a shelf or the top of the fridge. Good light output and long run times.

I also have a simple light in my basement that I built. Essentially, it is a lantern with a 110 volt relay to override the switch and turn it on when the juice goes off. It doesn't recharge, but it is cheap.

Roy82

Newly Enlightened
Those night lights / flashlights that power up when the power goes out sound like a good idea. I've just recently been thinking about something like that for my grandparents house, so they can find their way to another flashlight if the power goes out (I was also thinking a 9V safe-light might work too).

Does anybody know if something like that is available over here? Thanks

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a Coleman PR based emergency light that turns on when the power goes out. It also gets brighter if you flip the plugs down out of the way. I fitted it with a smjled pr bulb. I'll use this light to help my find my way to my other lights when the power fails.

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
Roy82,

I bought my parents a power failure light for about $14(US) at a local store. It has 3 LED's in it and has a run time of at least 5 hours. I believe it is made by Vector Mfg. Their house is a ranch style home with a hallway that basically runs the length of it. At the end was an outlet into which this light is plugged. When the power goes off, this light illuminates the hallway and the open rooms at the end of the hallway quite nicely.

G' Day

Here's a very similar light:
http://www.compactappliance.com/xq/...utdoor Appliances>Spotlights and Lamps>VEC186

Last edited: