3D Mag, EverLED and 6 or 7 AA NIMH's ????

Face

Enlightened
Hi,

I was just wondering if this would work or if anyone could see any problems or reasons why it wouldn't work.

I have a 3D Mag fitted with an EverLED, which can be fitetd into any Mag.

Now, what I would like to do is run it on multiple AA NIMH (Energizer 2500's) cells; either 6 or 7 of them, depending if you can get 4AA to D converters.

So, would this work? If so, does anyone know where I can get the necessary AA-to-D converters from, along with a dummy D cell? Preferably from the UK - I've tried a Google, but haven't managed to find anything locally, tho.

Any help or advice that you may have would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance for your time,

Face

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
The everLed is only rated for 6 cells. Even though rechargables say "1.2V", this doesn't mean that 7 cells will be under the 9V. NiMH cells are 1.4-1.45V/cell freshly charged, so using 7 cells would be 9.8-10.15V fresh, and you would be exceeding the maximum voltage for the everLed. Stick to 6 cells.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look for a vendor under the name of Litemania in the Dealers Corner forum of this site
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13
He gets these in (and sells out of them) on a regular basis. They're $3 USD each and he charges $5 for flat rate registered mail shipping from Korea.

Get extras in case you break them or short them out (they're easy to reverse polarity with as the positive and negative poles are easy to reverse if you're not careful.)

Face said:
Hi,

I was just wondering if this would work or if anyone could see any problems or reasons why it wouldn't work.

I have a 3D Mag fitted with an EverLED, which can be fitetd into any Mag.

Now, what I would like to do is run it on multiple AA NIMH (Energizer 2500's) cells; either 6 or 7 of them, depending if you can get 4AA to D converters.

So, would this work? If so, does anyone know where I can get the necessary AA-to-D converters from, along with a dummy D cell? Preferably from the UK - I've tried a Google, but haven't managed to find anything locally, tho.

Any help or advice that you may have would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance for your time,

Face

Face

Enlightened
Thanks very much for the replies and information.

I take it I would need "series" adapters?

Thanks again,

Face

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 alk D cells in a Mag running an Everled will get around 30 hours or so IN regulation. Why would you want to mess with AA nimh that self discharge and adapters in this setup? It's like going all the way around your arm to get to your elbow...

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Face:)

When you want to change to AA-cells, I would go with a 2-D model.
It depends where you live, but for about 10-15$ in the USA?

Best regards

____
Tom

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
What they said to a large degree...

I have NimH in all my Superbulb lights. I don't use these lights very often, and so self discharge is a problem.

All my "user" LED lights (M*gleds, Craftsman 1W, SMJLED PR etc.) have Alkaline.

It just wouldn't do to have my near the door emergency lights self discharge to death.

I can't feature actually carrying and using a 3D in the long term. So I'd leave some big juicy D cells in there and mess with something else!

Oh! My HOT climate (car interior, garage etc.) lights have Lith AA, AAA and 123 as I have had WAY too many leaky alks here in Texas!!!

Face

Enlightened
Hi again

Think I probably will stick with Alkaline AA's, after all.

Just thought it would be useful to have, in effect, a 6-cell EverLED running in my 3 cell light. Not too worried about runtime, just pure output.

Thanks again,

Face

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You won't get more output using 6 AA cells. The sweet spot is 3 cells. More than that justs wastes energy bucking the voltage down.

Face

Enlightened
Oh. Really? That's a shame. I thought it would work.

I thought the output went up, the more cells you used. Is this not the case, then?

Cheers,

Face

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. Output tops out at 3 cells. As it's a 3 cell body you're using, that's why I suggested going with the D cells. Best combo of runtime/output.

Face

Enlightened
Oh well, never mind...

Saved myself some money on converters then, i guess :)

Thanks again,

Face

Latest posts