How long does a "fix" last you?

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
OK we're all torchaholics/flashaholics here, so I was just just interested: how long does it take for the buzz to wear off your latest acquisition and for you to start thinking about acquiring something else? Days, weeks, months?

Or does it depend on the torch?

With the notable exception of a Terralux Microstar (poxy blue/yellow beam), I've never met a new torch that I wasn't impressed with in some way or other and used heavily for a week or two. But then the itch sets in for something brighter/longer running/better made/more versatile/different/more expensive etc

I'm a proud new dad of a HSD B42 which fulfills nearly all the criteria I desire in a torch. Wonder how long it'll take until my next order from lighthound?

Last edited:

Mad1

Enlightened
My last fix was about a week and a bit ago when I bought my L1.

However since I've got no money I'm having to go cold turkey. :(

My next purchase is an M3T though. :)

Illum

Flashaholic
I dont know....:ohgeez:
I'm beginning to plateau...simply because there is no more room on me to carry them....:awman:

Whenever I buy a light, I edc it simultaneously with my other lights ...so a huge collection = very heavy load:laughing:

so far, only the 6D i do not edc:awman:
its a personal problem, so the fix depends on either i found a bigger packpack or i buy small lights:lolsign:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a Stenlight from JS Burly and my "fix" will last much longer than before! This is one heck of a headlamp, the workmanship, everything is just so precision made and it works like a champ. A very precision instrument that will easily last a lifetime or two.

carrot

Flashaholic
A "fix"... hmm. I haven't bought a new light in one or two months now. This is partially because I'm broke, partially because I'm waiting to see what the new MagLED Mini's are like. The only lights I am interested in right now are too expensive for impulse buys, anyway.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine's pretty bad. Sometimes I don't even wait for the last light I ordered to show up in the mail. I'll send PayPal, and go shopping for the next one minutes later.

I've got a problem, don't I? I think the only cure would be to put the whole collection up on B/S/T and walk away completely. Maybe I'll keep just one Arc. And the U2. I guess it wouldn't hurt if I kept one of the fauxtons.. maybe two, since they're so tiny. Oh yeah, and the L0P, that's kinda a permanent part of my keychain. Of course, I might need the Mag74 in case I'm somewhere really dark... but what if it's too dark? Maybe I need to go buy a HID...

I'm going to go mumble in the corner by myself for a while now...

roguesw

Enlightened
i think i got it bad
the last time i bought a new light,
M3T, it hadnt even arrived when i started planning on upgrading it
so began the plan for a A19 adapter and MN20 bulbs and
oh, it gets worse, SFTH is next.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I think it depends on your spectrum of needs. For example, I like to spend as little as possible, yet get good quality. I needed a good throw light, a good flood light, a good power outage light with long life and variable output, a headlamp, a pocket light and a keychain light.

Once all of these niches were filled, I was no longer driven to acquire new lights. Certainly I keep an eye on developments, but I'm no longer driven to buy the latest, greatest light.

Last edited:

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
PhotonBoy said:
I think it depends on your spectrum of needs.
"Needs" being the critical concept. I've got more lights than I need, and less than I want :)

Actually I can feel myself cooling off a bit. After sating the "need" for a really good EDC torch, I really don't feel the need to splash again until something really interesting and new comes out (constant incremental improvements to Fenix' product line don't count any more).

greenLED

Flashaholic
gadgetnerd said:
Or does it depend on the torch?
...and it comes and goes. After I bought my SF A2, I don't really feel the "need" for any other light (crazy as it sounds), BUT I have the modding bug bad again and I've been stashing up on parts and thinking about new projects.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a while there I was buying a light for each small specialty use: a light for work, a light for volunteer duties, a light for the nightstand, a light for rainy weather, and so on. Pretty soon you kind of run out of niches to fill.

These days I just buy for "cool factor." I have a SureFire Kroma-Milspec on the way, for example.

That's about it though. I will buy if something really cool comes along, but I have no need to keep myself in new lights just because they are new.

Scott

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
For me it kinda depends on the "torch." :green: When you have spent months and kilobucks getting your first KW+ tank searchlight up-and-running, the "fix" seems to last longer! :D I've got everything to get the 2nd one going, but the need just isn't as urgent. When my shop cools down I'll build it up for the shootout.

Larry

Culhain

Enlightened
This forum needs a big caution warning on the registration page. I'm new here and have already bought 7 new lights, plus upgraded 4 MagLites.

I still need a few more lights, then I'm heading back to the knife forums to de-tox.:lolsign:

BladeZealot

Enlightened
Well...I ordered Aleph parts Wednesday...I bought an Aleph 3 Thursday, hope to get it tomorrow. Ordered A Pierce M10i this evening, and got a Fenix P1 and A very cool L2P {2-AA body and a 3 trit CR2 body} today during the day..oh, had a VG FB1 body and Aleph 1 black CR tube arrive today also. Should get a bare aluminum CR2 body and flat tailcap in tomorrow also. :)

You get the idea...

Last edited:

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
tvodrd,

This newbie wants to know what a "KW+ tank searchlight" is?

Are you one of the un-official runway support lights for John Wayne Airport?

Bill

Jay Tee

Newly Enlightened
A fix never helps me. Buying one just leads to another, I'm a binge buyer.

My only hope to get any clean time is to be distracted by something else. About a month ago my nice day toy car was totaled by a jeep that ran a stop sign, I was so bummed out I didn't buy anything for almost two months. Then I binged again. So far I have only ordered 1 light tonight, so I think I still have some control.

Latest posts