BadBoy & 2aa mini-m*g & retaining ring?

James Van Artsdalen

Enlightened
What am I supposed to do with the retaining ring that comes with the BadBoy? It's not mentioned in the instructions and I don't see anywhere it should go.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yah, those are the instructions, but there doesn't appear to be any meantion of the retaining clip.

I think you are correct tho. After dropping in the module, I pushed the retaining clip in there with it with stick, then used the batteries, backwords, to stuff it all the way down.

-john

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Retaining ring's used to prevent the module from falling out when changing batteries. Quite a good, basic feature that works... I put mine in and just used the battery to push it all the way back. Works great.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've updated the instructions to show the retaining ring. Have another look at the instructions.

Wayne

James Van Artsdalen

Enlightened
Thanks. That seemed to be the idea, but I didn't want to put the ring in without knowing how to get it back out.

I'm going to skip the retaining ring for now as it doesn't seem critical. I'll maybe add it later.

Termac

Newly Enlightened
I like the retainer clip in combination with gluing the head to the tube. This keeps the focus at the desired point and also keeps the clip from being pushed back down the tube. My assembly method: Take the host units apart and clean things up to prepare for epoxying the head to the tube. Install the Madmax module with retaining clip and assemble the head with optics. Temporarily remove the o-ring at the tube to head location, and mark the point at which the optics just contact the module. Also mark the alignment needed to start the head on the threads to get back to these marks (marking all this on pieces of masking tape). Put the o-ring back on and bond the head to the tube with a bit of J-B Weld, carefully returning to the marked alignment. Finish by installing a Kroll switch to operate the light.

Anarchocap

Enlightened
I didn't like any of those solutions because their "side-effects" (as in the mod not working!) were worse than the original problem of the mod falling out when you change the batteries.

I just decided to remember to remove and install the batteries with some assemblance of caution.