TrueBlue's 2 stage switch for SF L4

firefly99

Enlightened
TrueBlue, your post in another thread titled "2 stage Kroll mod", to mod a SF Z57 into a 2 stage switch is such a great idea. :goodjob:

I am doing the same to my Z57 instead of using a normal size resistor, I use a surface mounted resistor. Due to the tiny size of the resistor, I find it difficult to do the soldering. I "super glue" the SMD resistor to the black switch body between the spring and the round metal ring. Next I use a pen with silver conductive ink to join one end of the resistor to the spring and the end of resistor to the metal ring. It works exactly as you had described.

So far I had mod two Z57, 1st is 68ohm and 2nd is 22ohm. Currently, I am testing the runtime of the Z57 w/22ohm. Both Z57 mod work fine with 3 of my E1E+KL1/KL4. Will post photos at a later date.

When I use either Z57 mod on a E1L, it did not light up. So I add a 10ohm SMD resistor to the E1L tailcap. This time E1L did light up but it brightness is about the same as 68ohm mod. Any idea why this is happening ? Thanks.

firefly99

Enlightened
Valpo Hawkeye said:
That's awesome! I wonder what the output on low is...

Hawkeye, E1E+KL1 with 22ohm resistor in Z57, the low and high output is similar to SF L1, according to my eyeballs.

Comparing both 22ohm & 68ohm side by side in a dark room, the 68ohm beam seem to be too dim for any practical use. While the 22ohm had a more useful beam.

firefly99

Enlightened
firefly99 said:
Currently, I am testing the runtime of the Z57 w/22ohm. QUOTE]

Runtime for the Z57 w/22ohm, is between 54~60 hours.

Last edited: