Can you whistle really loud?

Rayne

Newly Enlightened
Like the title says, I was wondering if anyone reading this can whistle really loud. I'm talking about the one where someone would use 2 fingers, loud like that, but can do it without using their fingers. If so, how do you do it? I've been trying for years without success. Thanks.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
I could never make the finger thing work right, but when I was a kid we used to blow into an acorn cap with our thumb joints covering half of it, and that was very loud. Got any oak trees in HI?

tygger

Enlightened
its easier than it seems. my dad grew up in a village (his father was a farmer) and taught him cause it was an easy way to communicate or get someone's attention. so he taught me cause i thought it was neat. anyway, sometimes it seems those who use two fingers in thier mouth can whistle a little louder than without using the fingers. my mom used to call us in the house whistling with two fingers. i swear the whole neighborhood heard it. anyway, they're both about the same loudness i think, and personally i think its much easier to whistle without the fingers. plus if your hands are dirty or you're wearing gloves, well, you get the idea.

okay, i'll try to explain how to do it as best as i can. eventually after practicing you'll just "find it." i promise. (it took me about a week of practice before i could start to get some decent whistling sound)

okay, you've gotta curl the front part of your tongue and place it just behind your front bottom teeth.
then (while making a slight underbite) place your two front teeth on the curl of your tongue and blow.
just keep blowing air while trying to keep that basic position with your tongue and teeth and eventually i promise you'll get it.
it helps when you actually watch someone do it. but it'll still take a bit of practice.

anyay, good luck. it definitely comes in handy when you want to get someones attention.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
What do you do with your lips while doing this procedure? Where do the fingers come in if doing it that way?

Last edited:

Delvance

Enlightened
tygger said:
okay, you've gotta curl the front part of your tongue and place it just behind your front bottom teeth.
then (while making a slight underbite) place your two front teeth on the curl of your tongue and blow.
just keep blowing air while trying to keep that basic position with your tongue and teeth and eventually i promise you'll get it.
it helps when you actually watch someone do it. but it'll still take a bit of practice.

anyay, good luck. it definitely comes in handy when you want to get someones attention.

:faint: no luck yet...grr :whistle:
Thanks for the tips though, always wanted to be able to whistle loudly lol. Oh, which way do you mean when you said "curl the front part of your tongue", thanks.

:sold:

tygger

Enlightened
whistling WITHOUT using fingers. (i do not know how to whistle using the fingers)

curl the front part of the tongue in a "U" shape. and the lips (upper and lower) will be pulled inward covering the teeth. actually, the sound comes from the tongue underneath the Top Front teeth. so maybe thinking of trying to place the "U" of the tongue directly underneath the top front 2 teeth is a better visualiztion. hope that helps. i tried google for some images but couldn't find any. maybe someone could post a photo of themselves actually whistling? that would be great.

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
I can barely whistle at all. Never been able to do the finger thing... I'd be lucky to whistle to save my life... :mad: Always been a sore spot... :rant: :whistle:

Rayne

Newly Enlightened
Nope, no oak trees in HI, well at least none that I know of. I can do the whistle with my fingers, but like tygger mentioned, the thought of sticking dirty fingers into one's mouth doesn't appeal to me. I heard someone where I work do it and it sounded even louder than with fingers. When curling the front of the tongue, did you mean to curl the tip of the tongue upwards or the two sides upwards and leave the middle part down? Thanks for the tips btw, I'm sure at least one of us will be able to do it. :)

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
I can snap my fingers both loud and fast, and I can whistle most tunes fine. That loud whistling is something I've never been able to do though, with or without fingers. I tried to follow the instructions above but all I got was a sound like when I blow my nose and a little dribble :eek:

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Rayne said:
When curling the front of the tongue, did you mean to curl the tip of the tongue upwards or the two sides upwards and leave the middle part down?
>> the two sides upwards and leave the middle part down

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot whistle good either, but have a friend that does it soo loud that my ears hurt.

I want to learn too!!!

AlexGT

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
My social studies AP teacher does this, usually in short bursts to shut us up.

Starlight

Enlightened
This won't work for everyone. Being able to curl your tongue, is an hereditary trait. It is impossible for some, so they will have to use their fingers.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh yeah, well, i can HUMWHISTLE!
Its not easy, but its an awesome sound that annoys anyone that hears it! just make a deep ooooh sound and try to whistle, very cool sound if you can pull it off! Thats my only trick
-bobby

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
allthatwhichis said:
I can barely whistle at all. Never been able to do the finger thing... I'd be lucky to whistle to save my life... :mad: Always been a sore spot... :rant: :whistle:

same here, I'd be dead before I could whistle someone's attention even in a quiet room. No :whistle: for me.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I never learned how to whistle via the "two finger method"; the loudest whistle I could generate was by placing a wide blade of grass or a piece of cellophane plastic between my lips & exhaling sharply.