Maglites used in the movie "The Descent" ...

pradeep1

Enlightened
Flashlights Used in the movie "The Descent"

I just got back from seeing the horror movie, "The Descent". It's about a bunch of Brit chicks who go caving in an unexplored cave in North Carolina and meet up with some monsters. It was pretty good and everyone in the theater seemed to be gasping and screaming at the scary scenes. I, on the other hand, was analyzing all the flashlights used in the movie and seemed to have missed the scary moments.

I noticed they used Petzl headlamps, as Petzl must have paid some $$$ to be prominently displayed on every actor's head. Aside from that, they seem to use regular old 3D Maglites and some emergency glow sticks.

There are many scenes where they show this creature or something mysterious, and they point this crappy worn out Mag 3D beam at it, and you can't make anything out. I was like "crap", if I had my flashlight(s), you'd see every single creature clearly and escape. A good old Streamlight Propoly 3C Luxeon would solve that problem.

All in all, the movie was a great horror movie with some really good scares, but the use of lights in the dark was cool for me.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Flashlights Used in the movie "The Descent"

I saw this movie too last night, with a friend. If you can get over the cheesey dialogue and something jumping out at you every three minutes, it's a fun movie that has you going "EWWWWW!" a number of times. Some nice jarring shocks too that make you jump out of your seat hahahaha.

The 3D Maglites were a good laugh for me personally... in some of the shots you can plainly recognize that traditional Maglite beam pattern (now THAT is something that makes you go "EWWWW!" haha).

In one of the scenes, a girl falls down a shaft and is under a misting waterfall. You can see the water turn to steam as it lands on her Petzl headlight.

arioch

Enlightened
I watched the movie "The Descent" a few days ago, and noticed with curiosity that the characters were all using a D cell Maglite as their main hand held lights. These appeared to be the alkaline models using Krypton bulbs, as I had noticed immediately the sickly yellow, donut and ring filled beams as they navigated their way through the caves. This is in contrast to some movies and television shows where the characters are seen using the Maglite, but a pretend Surefire type beam is seen on the wall. Although they all had helmet lights and also used light sticks and flares, the Maglite was used prominently during the movie.

Now most of the characters in the movie were not newbies, but were experienced adventurers, which made me wonder why they would be carrying around D cell Maglites in a cave diving expedition. Among the reasons this is not a good idea include: 1.) The Maglite is heavy and bulky; 2.) The beam is not very bright compared with other lights much smaller; 3.) The lights are water resistant, but not waterproof.

I was befuddled for the last few days trying to figure out why they would be using the Mag, and I then realized that the movie was a horror movie about cave diving. The darkness is a part of the environment. There were points where the characters were shining the Mags around trying to find something and coming up empty, where a Surefire or Streamlight would have lit a lot more up. For once, the movie makers were looking for a light that did NOT put our much light. Amusement abounds ... :)

By the way, the movie was pretty good for a horror flick, and is recommended viewing.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
... and there are experienced public safety employees who use Maglites daily in the performance of their work. Unlike actors, they really do entrust their lives and personal safety to these instruments. It is a brand that has withstood the test of time and is recognized world-wide as a standard of quality. I wouldn't let flashlight snobbery cloud your perspective. Until the Streamlight SL series came along, the Kel-Lite and Streamlight (and later Maglite) battery driven lights were the epitome of a reliable high performance flashlight for the public safety arena.

arioch said:
Now most of the characters in the movie were not newbies, but were experienced adventurers, which made me wonder why they would be carrying around D cell Maglites in a cave diving expedition. Among the reasons this is not a good idea include: 1.) The Maglite is heavy and bulky; 2.) The beam is not very bright compared with other lights much smaller; 3.) The lights are water resistant, but not waterproof.

Empath

Flashaholic
Arioch, after reconsidering, I acknowledge that I may have seen intent that wasn't there. With the introduction of new products, there has been occasion for many more threads regarding Mag. Along with it, has been greater opportunity for many to voice negative opinions about the company and product. Accompanied with those voices have been those that like and appreciate them, and they too have been vocal in their responses to those posts.

With that consideration, I judged your thread as an effort to bait. I really should have more substance upon which to base my judgment.

As for the harsh words, you're due an apology. It seems I'm in error enough that I pass apologies around like candy. Be assured though, that each is sincere, since I don't view the concept or practice of apology as routine or insignificant.

Your thread is reopened.

Last edited:

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
arioch, that's a good observation!

i recall back when doom3 was released, and we had all sorts of threads talking about the "maglite" beam in the year 3000, noone being able to figure out why technology hadn't progressed past the point of a krypton bulb.

it seems yours might be the likely answer :)

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
they were using maglites? man, i didn't notice that until i saw this thread.

was focusing on something else...

the nice,nice...

beam coming out of the petzl headlamps :p

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, anyone wondering about the Mags actually has been inside a cave?

Sure I bring my 9N with me there, but a 1 hour runtime light is a joke inside there (and these girls were inside a real cave with rapelling and so on, not the small ones I tend to visit)

in total dark You wont need much light, it even is bad for Your dark adapted eyes. Runtime is much more important

btw: You would wonder what CRAPPY lights ppl bring with them for visiting caves

arioch

Enlightened
Brighteyez wrote:

"... and there are experienced public safety employees who use Maglites daily in the performance of their work. Unlike actors, they really do entrust their lives and personal safety to these instruments. It is a brand that has withstood the test of time and is recognized world-wide as a standard of quality. I wouldn't let flashlight snobbery cloud your perspective. Until the Streamlight SL series came along, the Kel-Lite and Streamlight (and later Maglite) battery driven lights were the epitome of a reliable high performance flashlight for the public safety arena."

Please don't misunderstand what I wrote. I was simply making an observation that the Maglite might not be the best choice for CAVE DIVING, for the very reasons I stated. I had used either a 2D or 4D Maglite for a long time in my earlier years as a security guard. My Surefire 6P sat in my belt holster as a back up (this was back when the only 123 cells to be had cost $6-$7 apiece). I currently use a 2D and 4C Magled, and I am awaiting the release of the 2AA and 3AA Magled. I have nothing against Maglite. I do question sometimes the choices of movie makers when selecting lights to be used in their movies.

Chesterqw said,

"they were using maglites? man, i didn't notice that until i saw this thread.

was focusing on something else...

the nice,nice..."

Yeah, Natalie Mendoza (Juno) ... and the medic ... heh heh heh :)

Yellow said,

"well, anyone wondering about the Mags actually has been inside a cave?"

No, but I have gone hiking in my days of youth. Carrying a full pack for extended periods of time, every extra ounce is cursed. A smaller light that can put out the same number of lumens would have been a blessing. Also, in the environment presented in the movie, carrying a larger light is very detrimental while squeezing through narrow crevices. They were also going through water. A waterproof (diving) light would be beneficial, as one submersion might cause a water resistant light to fail.

I know that the movie was made last year, before the release of the Magled, but wouldn't it have been cool if Maglite had given the movie makers early models of the Magled? That would have been some kind of advertising trick.

:)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they wanted to, they could have easily placed any beam they wanted on the Maglites, computers have done wonders for cinematic prop and post production work.

arioch said:
I know that the movie was made last year, before the release of the Magled, but wouldn't it have been cool if Maglite had given the movie makers early models of the Magled? That would have been some kind of advertising trick.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
imagine the movie was edited and the maglite(s) all becomes ROP or some other FREAKING bright mod we have here...

wow... that will be cool :)

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's called product placement. CSI calls their flashlights "Mag-Lites" even thought I've never seen one on the show.

Actually, most older movie flashlights are modded to be brighter. The angle-head light in "Platoon" appeared to have some kind of slide projector bulb added to it.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Product placement is when a company pays to have their product showcased in a TV show. Like when the camera pans across the back of a computer screen that shows a Dell or Apple logo. Everytime that you see a Surefire flashlight appear on CSI, Surefire has to pay their agent a previously agreed upon amount for the appearance. The fee is only paid when the product is actually displayed.

ABTOMAT said:
It's called product placement. CSI calls their flashlights "Mag-Lites" even thought I've never seen one on the show.

Actually, most older movie flashlights are modded to be brighter. The angle-head light in "Platoon" appeared to have some kind of slide projector bulb added to it.

Bogie

Enlightened
If you liked the movie read the book its loosely baised on but the book is much darker
The Descent by Jeff Long