Where to hide a spare house key ?

Martin

Enlightened
Any good idea where to hide a spare house key outside the house ? Just in case we pull the door close and forget all our keys inside. Some place that a burglar would never consider.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep a spare set at work.

Friends.

Family.

Bank safe deposit.

cy

Flashaholic
would not be posting where you hide your house keys...

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer deadbolt locks to hiding keys around. Any lock which must be positively thrown to lock will be much more secure than locks that are thrown by a spring, and I cannot leave the house and lock the door without the key.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
buy a 2D mag, mod the light to run on 2AA buy squeezing two AAs into the space needed for one D and slightly bigger as necessary..., tape the key to the [-] side of the battery holder where it makes contact with the tube to close the circuit?:naughty:

something like that perhaps?:grin2:

id think of a smaller light tho...:laughing:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
HIde it near a neighbor's front porch. If found, they will break into the wrong place.

I have to second the "at work, with neighbor" etc.

Another alternative is to have one lock that is electronic, requiring a key code to enter. If you lock yourself out, just go to that door to re-enter.

My favorite? Hide a key to a non-obvious locked area. If found, the key is useless unless you know which lock it fits. Put the house key in the locked area.

Keep in mind that a key does not have to look like a key. You can trim the head to many decorative shapes, paint it, and if surrounded by similar shapes it will not be noticed.

Daniel

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Martin said:
Any good idea where to hide a spare house key outside the house ? Just in case we pull the door close and forget all our keys inside. Some place that a burglar would never consider.
All but one of the suggestions will work.
If a burgler wants into your house he will enter it, key or not.
They will try a door or window, then breaks something if they can't find an open one.
I went into a locked house last weekend to retrieve the owners purse in about 30 seconds and didn't break anything. Sliding glass windows and doors lift right out...

The key in the mouth suggestion is the one that will not work but *is* the sign of a professional burgler. That's where they keep theirs. They don't loose them, set them down, or have them rattle.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put it in the collar of your woofer. He's not likely to take kindly to a stranger but will come to you. :)

wwglen

Enlightened
I used to keep one hidden in a locked storage shed. I then hid the extra key to the locked storage shed in with some of my kids toys in a unlocked storage shed.

Some one would have to find the first key, unlock the second shed, find the second hidden key and then open the door.

I moved and haven't decided on what to do here.

wwglen

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Keep a spare house key under the dashboard of your car, secured with a magnetic holder, then keep a spare copy of your car key somewhere in your house.