Strion lamp in P60

hburner

Enlightened
I got really tired of my P60s burning out on me. I have had 5 in the past 2 montyhs to go. I am not doing anything abnormal to cause this. So..... I took a new Strion, removed the P60 lamp out of the the reflector housing, installed the Strion lamp in the P60 body, soldered it in with a couple of strands of 14 ga. wire and it works.
I am using one LG2400 3.7v cell and the beam pattern and brightness is just like a stock P60.

Its very surprising to me that it came out in perfect focus and I did not have to move the lamp at all to get that, when put beside a reg. P60 you can hardly tell a difference. I suspect that I will get more runtime and now I have rechargeability with my C2!!!!!!!!!

Just lettin you all know that it can be done. Oh yea, when you look at the Strion/P60 it looks just like a stock P60, size, shape, the amount sticking out of the reflector, it makes me think that these lamps are very close to each other than voltage draw, next I am going to try the Scorpion lamp!!!!!!!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Strion lamp is perfect for your application, but rather than going to all that trouble, I'd be more inclined to just use it in a Strion. The Scorpion bulb is going to end up being a bit overdriven and it won't put out as much light.

hburner

Enlightened
Yea it was pretty much just an experiment. I used to own 2 of the Strions but I like the body style of the C2 much better.

hburner

Enlightened
Isn't the Scorpion a 6v light? That would mean it would be underdriven unless I used 2 123s.

All this knida stuff in done on the name of Flashaholism!!!!!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops! My error, it most certainly is a 6V rated bulb and you are correct it would be well underdriven.

hburner said:
Isn't the Scorpion a 6v light? That would mean it would be underdriven unless I used 2 123s.

All this knida stuff in done on the name of Flashaholism!!!!!

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
hburner said:
Isn't the Scorpion a 6v light?
He was probably thinking of the Stinger lamp. The Scorpion is 6v, while the Stinger and Strion are both 3.7 volt. I frequently confuse the three myself.

hburner

Enlightened
frisco said:
I just looked at a P60 ...... how the heck did you swap bulbs?????

I heated up the white stuff with a soldering iron and pulled it out and just inserted the Strion and soldered it with 2 strands of 14 ga. wire. It works good.

AW: I want to try one of those but I am gonna wait to get some feedback on them.

hburner

Enlightened
AW do you have a P61 to compare it too? With a lumen rating of 100 it should be kinda close though.

AW

Newly Enlightened
hburner said:
AW do you have a P61 to compare it too? With a lumen rating of 100 it should be kinda close though.

I don't have a P61 to compare with but I think the 3.7V LA won't be as bright. My eyeball observation compared with a P60 is it is only a tad brighter with a bigger hotspot. However, I might be unable to tell the difference between 30 lumens. One thing for sure, the 3.7V LA stays within the same brightness level throughout most of the protected 17670 runtime while the P60 on primary CR123s begins to lose its brightness after 10 minutes.